1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good idea to use anticorrosion battery terminal products?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exstudent, Apr 22, 2014.

1. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm assuming is a good idea to use the battery corrosion products like these two items:
    1) Permatex battery protector and sealer; $5
    2) felt battery terminal protector; $1.50

I haven't removed the original 12V battery, as the replacement hasn't arrived yet. But, I don't see any corrosion either. Don't know if Toyota applied any battery terminal protector when they installed this battery.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have looked at a couple of different Prius batteries and have not found any evidence of corrosion. Didn't see any evidence of any product on the terminals either. Wouldn't hurt to use either product, your call.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't believe this is necessary since those products are intended for situations where battery acid is leaking and causing terminal corrosion.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There should be less need as the battery is externally vented, so corrosive gases should not be present at the posts.

5. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Smear some Vaseline on them if you want.

Roland

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not the be all and end all, but I'll look at how the car came from the factory, for guidance. The terminals on our 12 volt look clean/bare. That's actually a replacement battery, installed by the dealership at time of sale. And around 3.5 years later it looks about the same, no sign of corrosion.

So, I'd be inclined to not add any grease. If I had the battery out, or was replacing it, I'd run a wire brush or sandpaper over the posts and inside of the connection collars, that's about it.