1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great new Edmunds review with tons of high res pictures

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by jordanzelda23, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The problem is the review implied that a car without the standard mechanical (or faux mechanical) shifter is not a "real car", which is ridiculous and, yes, childish. It does not belong in a professional car review.

2. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll bet i can get 70 mpg on my real world commute with a Prius C.

3. R11

R11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know I have to say I'm a little surprised. Is this actually a good representation what the entire Prius community is really like? I'm considering buying one and had just figured that the community would be full of happy, relaxed, fuel-saving cruiser types. I really never expected to find such zealotry and uptightness. It's a little offputting and disheartening...

ron

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I should hope so. I get 70 mpg in *my* real world driving in our G2 Prius routinely when the weather is nice.

Aside: I cannot help but make fun of this "real world" meme. I guess it does not sound as good to say "my anecdotal experience is ... " ?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    PC is a big place. We even have a few republicans :eek:

1 person likes this.
  6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Instead there's a normal console shifter and a center-pull parking brake lever — like a real car.

Let's not be too hard on the reviewer. He went on to say is was his Favorite Prius. It was weird for Toyota to split the functions of gear shift and "park". They found that they can't introduce too many changes from existing car functions and still appeal to the mainstream buyer. I also like having a parking brake lever.

And yes I own both a 2008 and a 2010 - so don't be too hard on me for my opinions.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In this case Toyota listened too hard to its encounter groups :rolleyes:

I don't doubt Average Merkin is appalled by the start button, but of people who are *seriously* considering an HSD car, I doubt it is a big deal. Conversely, even though my wife and I thought the gear shifter was stupid and a waste of space, it would not prevent us from buying the car if we otherwise liked it.

It seems to be a part of game theory. People go through a convoluted path to reach a decision, but then condense the experience into an inanity.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At -40 it is ;)

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think Toyota has been honest about the gas mileage, they promote it as a City car, they claim high MPG in the City, lower on the open road.

It is harder to make a short car Aerodynamic, the Smart takes a lot of flack for this, if you make it short enough to park anywhere, it is hard to give it the shape of an airplane or race car.

10. gohammer

gohammer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great review and very good interesting pictures of the whole car, especially the under side which could use some aerodynamic enhancements.
    About the shifter, it is what it is. I'm glad the "C" is here.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Something about this car just interests me less the more I learn about it. For one, damn it just looks small in those pictures. And as I've said before, the C optioned out to a level similar to an entry level Prius liftback is only about $3G cheaper, a 15% difference for a vehicle with the same mileage, but appreciably smaller and probably noticeably slower (though not by a large margin). One thing's for certain, you won't fit two suitcases in the back of a c but you certainly can in a liftback.

No doubt, releasing this thing as we roll into another year of growing gas prices is going to result in very strong sales. I guess I think the liftback simply offers more bang for the buck, at least from what I can tell now. Perhaps toyota will offer stunning lease deals a year from now and I'll be hard pressed not to get one, but otherwise for me it's a bit meh.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My wife and I are empty nesters and do not have American tastes in cars, so the smaller size is an *attraction* to us, not a compromise. And of course, less expensive is always welcome.

So we went to the dealer today expecting to like it a lot and walked away knowing we would likely not buy it. I was unhappy with the interior trim, and my wife was unhappy with the attempt to shoehorn a larger car's three compartments into the 'c'. The iQ does much better: it effectively says "2 people and stuff, or 3 people in a bit of a pinch; do not try to do both." The 'c' says "sure you can take 4-5 people and luggage too!" but of course you cannot unless everything is pint sized and uncomfortable. To compound matters the back seat is always tight. In short, I find the use of the interior space sub-optimal.

13. wongnog

wongnog Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    The pics were of the c Four with the leather softex seats, right? I thought the seats had a dark grey appearance. Also doesn't the passenger glove box have a blue trim at the top? I'm wondering if the interior pics are of a c Three, or maybe the red car has a different interior color than others.

14. jordanzelda23

jordanzelda23 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove a C4 yesterday. Drove around 3 miles city and 2 miles Hwy. Averaged 49 MPG overall. I like everything about the car except for the size. It is really small in the back seats and storage area. Front seats are fine. Also the fake leather looked and felt like crap. I would get cloth over the fake leather anyday.

I was super excited for this car, but unfortunately the wife thinks it is too small to be hauling kids around in. Oh well.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, man ......

what is it ... 158" long ??? There's only so much you can do with that length. Of course the back seats and cargo area are going to be much smaller than liftback.

I'll have to scope, but sounds like it may not have the magic most talk about with Fit interior space.

16. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have two Prius C's here in Warrenton Oregon at Lums Toyota.

They sure look like they will be a real winner for Toyota,
    with gas prices at $4 or more per gallon they will be
    a real winner.

If you are going to buy one don't wait too long.....

17. DavieDanie630

DavieDanie630 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's disappointing to hear about the interior, I'd started leaning C, if only for a moment. I'm okay with small cars, but I'd like for them to compensate on their smaller size with good, if not great, interior quality.

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They also get to split the market, having the conventional shifter in the c and the dongle + button in the OG prius. If you must have the dongle you can pay a little more, if you hate it you can choose that too. The start button people overwhelmingly in focus groups like. The dongle, well that seems a step into weirdness for weirdness sake. If you look at the rav 4 ev, toyota decided to not add yet another tesla shifter choice, and I believe are going with the prius dongle.

On the hand brake versus the foot parking brake, sikes might have had something to do with that:D Its hard to forget you have an emergency brake when its steering at you. If the car had more power it would allow you to brake just the back wheels for maneuvering like I've done in a past car. I doubt prius c buyers are going to be taking fast turns though.

always good to hear from someone with a learned opinion.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's easy to fall into the "same mileage" trap, just reading the EPA combined ratings. But it's not going to be the same mileage. The different city and highway numbers should make it clear. It has distinct characteristics: it's lighter, has a smaller engine, is less aerodynamic and has a smaller battery and motor.

When you're easy on the car, mileage is going to be better than the liftback. Work it hard and it'll be worse. If typical EPA subcompact ratings are anything to go by, the c should, on average, outperform its rating.

The amenities missing from the c Two that are on the liftback Two: heated mirrors; 1 door SKS; 4-door auto windows; daytime running lights. Nothing I'd pay $4k for.

If the c is cheaper and the $4k doesn't buy you anything you value, why spend it on the liftback when it can pay for your first 50,000 miles* of driving and it seems you'll use less gas to do them?

* YMWV

20. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's sad to hear, although I can sort of agree because I sat in a new regular Prius a couple weeks ago that had the Softex and I wasn't thrilled. Couldn't even compare to my real leather seats. I really wish Toyota didn't change them. I wouldn't be opposed to the cloth, but the problem is no heated seats :( I LOOOOOOVE heated seats and I can't imagine not having that feature.