1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Green" hybrids?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Eves, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Eves

Eves New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been shopping for a new car, high mpg cars, and I realized that I've yet to find a hybrid that is the color green. I probably missed one or two but seriously...few to no green green cars?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    White is the new green.
    In 2000, we had 3 cars all dark green, which was popular then, now we got a white fleet.
    You can get Seafoam I think which is a pretty nice light green.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid is available in green.

If you really want a new hybrid that is green, look into Plastidip. You could get any color paint and then plastidip green over it for a few hundred dollars.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The original Honda Insight was green, sort of;

[​IMG]

As is the Honda Jazz hybrid;
    [​IMG]

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my '08 was a beautiful green, and the new green is even better. how would anyone know how many used green pro there are out there?

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TRh
    There are loads of green MKII Priuses in Australia.

But I haven't seen any MKIII or above ones in green, now that I think about it.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you counting the MKII by counting the NHW10 as a MK1? There were lots of NHW11's that were green. In fact I think that's about the only colour sold in the UK.

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, NHW20. But yes, I've seen NHW11s in green too.

I was thinking you were up late. But your clocks went back on Saturday night, didn't they?

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Something happened. Trouble is with half your clocks updating automatically you're never sure which ones did and which didn't. It's now 11 pm instead of midnight - I think.

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I always have to remember it for phoning home. We're 9 hours ahead of you in your summer, and 11 hours ahead of you in your winter. But in your autumn, our clocks go back several weeks before yours go forward, so it's been 10 hours for the past month or so.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It must be affecting me cos that went in one ear and right out the other :confused:

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will all suddenly make sense in 11 hours.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    G2's used to be available in a pea-soup green that was probably inspired by the movie "The Exorcist."

Me?
    I'm not really a fan of that kind of green.

If I ever buy a Prius-sized car my color choice will be influenced by visibility.

No earth-tones.
    No 'disappears in the fog' silver or battleship grey. :D

14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Mum had a dark-brown MK1 Sierra in the mid-80s, like this one.

[​IMG]

It was completely invisible.

I slipped a disc playing hockey at school, which was extremely nasty. One day a few weeks later, I was walking again, but I was still in a lot of pain, and I wasn't doing sport at the end of the day, and Mum wasn't working that day, so she picked me up in her invisible car. A very old man (typical Lytham driver, and indeed a typical Harrogate driver) didn't see it, and pulled out in front of us, and we crashed. It undid pretty much all of the previous few weeks recovery. I lay on the pavement and swore at him. But while he should have been looking where he was going, it is true that he did have to deal with the car being invisible.

My Gen II Prius is that sky blue. I do worry that if I'm coming towards a junction over a hill I might be invisible.

On the subject of sky blue, my wife never understood why the Cambridge rowing team and the Coventry football team were called the "sky blues".

[​IMG]

She said the sky wasn't that colour.

It was only when she went to Britain for her postgrad that she understood. In Britain, on a nice day, the sky is that colour.

In Sydney, the sky is more the colour of an Everton kit.

[​IMG]

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a gun metal grey VW Scirocco in the early 90's and that car was a nightmare for people pulling out in front of me. Never had a smash but do recall a very close shave at high speed :unsure:

Car colour is very important.

And talking of sky colour, I think you're right hkmb. I was watching an Aussie edition of Grand Designs tonight and was more taken aback by the totally cloudless deep blue sky rather than the trendy house. Today has been a typical Autumn day; solid low overcast cloud. The sort of dense cloud like you'd get in a heavy rain storm but that is lighter in colour and with no gaps at all. You have to have your headlights on during midday. It never bothered me when I was younger but it's depressing now I'm getting on a bit.

Talking of getting on a bit, do you remember this northern classic?

16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oooh, I do remember that!

I have a terrible urge to eat some Werther's Originals while riding a Stannah Stairlift now.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Maori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa, which means "Land of the Long White Cloud". One of my Australian mates is currently working for a bank in London. She refers to Britain as "Land of the Low Grey Cloud".

But yes, our sky is very, very deep blue. In fact, it is right now.

I remember hearing Germaine Greer talking about her first impressions when she moved to Britain. She said it felt like someone had taken out all the 100W light bulbs and replaced them with 25W ones.

I really noticed the light on my holiday to Britain last month. It's nine years since I've been home, and after six years living here, Britain seemed dark, even though the weather was lovely for most of the holiday. Even on a sunny day, though, the sun was so weak.

The other thing I noticed about the sky was the vapour trails. They were everywhere. I suppose Ryanair and EasyJet and everything weren't huge the last time I was in Britain. And Australia is so empty that we see very few. We're too close to Sydney Airport to get vapour trails near us for Sydney flights, but we do see the occasional one for flights going elsewhere. But I'll see two or three vapour trails a day, if that. In Britain - everywhere in England and Western Scotland - if it wasn't cloudy I could usually see two or three vapour trails, or more, at any one time.

18. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol I like that 25w thing. It's about right :(

The reason we get vapour trails is because everything is in the northern hemisphere. I watch flightradar every once in a while and it's amazing to find which planes are flying overhead and where they're from. The most surprising thing was seeing a vapour trail low in the sky near the horizon, look it up and find it was actually flying over Huddersfield.

I also remember 9/12 and the complete lack of vapour trails and how quiet it was. The hum of aircraft engines, even at 35k feet must always be there but that you just got so used to it you no longer hear it.

You guys don't have any high flying airlines other than those coming in to land. B**tards :(