1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greetings from "the fence"...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jhknight, Oct 15, 2011.

1. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all.
    About 4 years ago when gas prices started up we bought a used (beat-up) 2002 Prius with 74000 miles on it from the Toyota dealer. Until recently this had been the only hybrid car I've ever driven, and it's been "educational". We recently had the steering recall done, the scary part is there was a noticeable difference in the steering when we got it back... anyway...

Last weekend when the October Clearance appeared on the local dealer website I decided -instead of rushing to the dealer- to go to a used car lot and drive a "salvage" 2010 Prius. It was the best test drive experience you could ask for- show up and they pull the car out and hand you the keys, no hassle, no sales pitch, just here you go! Luckily I have studied 2010 Prius from afar (via internet research and car shows) and knew at least enough to get the joystick in drive and press park. It was a beautiful blue basic Prius with only 4000 miles although with an unfortunate hog barn smell inside. Drove it a few miles and really enjoyed the quiet and smooth ride but noticed a lack of lower back support in the seat. I'd love to get a new Prius but the wife wants to wait and see what the economy does- (and likely the price will go up again for the 2012 year model). So I guess we'll drive the beater a while longer. This site is a great place to see the goods and bads of the new "Prii".

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well welcome aboard! I think you should go buy it. ;)

What did they want for it?

3. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The 2010? Too much considering the salvage title and hog barn scent, $21,000. I am more inclined to do the 2011 October clearance "sale" with $500 "bonus cash", IF they will deal a bit. And I want to rent a Prius for a weekend to make sure we really like it. But right now I have no car payment and that in itself is pretty sweet. Our 2002 Prius is tiny and uncomfortable but only has 110,000 miles and manages 46 to 50 mpg.

To clarify; I ran to this used car lot which was 30 minutes away opposed to running to the nearest Toyota dealer who is an hour away, just to see if I liked the 2010 Prius enough to go to the dealer and deal for a 2011.