1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Toyota released results of Prius investigations?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Ripley44224, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Ripley44224

Ripley44224 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Over the past couple weeks, we have seen some headline-grabbing stories of Prius problems (Wozniak, Sikes, woman in New York). In each case, Toyota said it would investigate. Wasn't Toyota going to borrow Woz's car for a week for testing?

Has anyone seen the results of Toyota's testing? I found the stories about WSJ Online's coverage of the NHTSA tests on the Sikes vehicle, but I haven't found anything mentioning official response from Toyota.

I realize the Toyota guys have a PR dilemma on their hands. If they say they looked at the cars and found nothing wrong, they will be accused of white-wash. If they say the cars were defective, they have to say what they will do about it. So I understand their keeping mum, but I sure would like to know what they found out. They invented this techno-wonder, after all.

For you long-time Priuschat members, what has been your experience in the past? Does Toyota usually release investigation results to the public?

2. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Why in the world would they want to release investigation results to the public? Because we want to know? How about their opposition? They probably want to know too, so they can better prepare the class action suit. They would be crazy to let out anything they don't have to.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    the sykes car in wsj online WAS leaked information. the NHTSA and toyota have not finished investigating.

I see no problem with toyota publishing the truth when they figure it out. In the past they have said user error and not investigated. That is the reason that many of us do not trust them. I think it may have been the issa staffer that may have started the leak before the results were in. This is another reason a congressman should not be able to send a non technical staff member into an investigation.

Wozniak did not really have a safety issue. He retracted most of it after the media went crazy. He was mad at toyota service, and had a right to be, and thought the software was really bad in adaptive cruse control.

4. Ripley44224

Ripley44224 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why would they announce an investigation if they intend to keep the results a secret?

5. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

...and how about news from NHTSA on its investigation in Mrs Smith's Lexus? I heard they had bought the car at least a fortnight ago.

...and about the alleged USA (unintended sudden acceleration)* complains by owners of recalled vehicles that were fixed?

* yes arrangement the words was intentional.
    :D

6. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota is supposed to have a Press Conference today about their findings on the Sike's Prius. Anyway, that's what I heard on the radio this morning.

Stay tuned.

7. Greysquirrel34

Greysquirrel34 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NHTSA and Toyota both could not duplicate the Sikes problem, when the brakes were applied the motor stopped.
    But Sikes's attorney says the reason they can duplicate is that "There is a ghost in the system."
    So I guess Toyota owners better get together and have a seance to get rid of that ghost.

8. rmay

rmay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

To convince the rest of the car buying public their product is safe to drive and move some more metal comes to mind.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ghost in the machine. Definitely in my prius.

That could be the description of any of the software that acts quirky. One of the ghosts was exercised when they updated my brake software.

On shorter incidents it really is hard to rule these things out. But the run away prius was exceptional and we should expect to see evidence of these spirits in the material world. I want to wait for the official reports before drawing conclusions, but the leaks seem to indicate more of a problem with the drivers feet and brain than the prius.

10. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Even on this forum there are some people who wouldn't believe anything they said. I would be surprised if they released anything but generalities and vague conclusions or a failure to find anything.

There is no upside to their announcing anything right now, in my opinion. If and when they get something really conclusive, they will push to go to trial in one of their cases, which will be many in number.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. masterpanda

masterpanda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Listening and reading a lot, I can't say that I have heard anything convincing that proves the Prius is unsafe. I am more concerned, say, about lightning strikes and getting poisoned by e coili in a burger.

13. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read two of your post and they are all in bold. Can you please just write normal fonts?

14. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today, at the press conference, it was revealed that the accelerator and brakes in Sikes' car were rapidly applied in an alternating fashion, as was recorded by the hybrid computer. The accelerator was NOT constantly applied, nor was the brakes "stood on" until the very end.

It would be a simple matter of doing that on a test Prius at a test track at 90mph and see if they can get the same kind of wear on the brakes that was seen on Sikes car.

If it yields the same results, it just confirms that Sikes is a lying balloon-boy scumbag redux.

15. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the Westchester County Police Department, they have arranged with Toyota to send someone to the Police Department impound to read the EDR data of the crashed Prius in the presence of law enforcement officials this Wednesday (March 17, 2010). AuburnPub.com - Toyota to assist probe of Prius crash

That particular Prius had airbag deployment, so there would be EDR data.

I'll bet the EDR will show that the woman stomped on the gas pedal rather than the brake as she claimed.

16. Ripley44224

Ripley44224 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks, Tideland. I guess I'm surprised but pleased that Toyota revealed its preliminary findings. I have read several accounts of this story by various news agencies. Many couldn't resist cries of "white wash" and diverting the story to include unintended acceleration on other Toyota models. This one seemed to stick to the point:

Toyota On Sikes' Runaway Prius: We're Not Buying It - Auto Observer

Thanks also to justlurkin. At least we know with some certainty that Toyota is on the case in the New York incident. Hopefully some news will come out of that as well.

I don't completely agree with Joe166 that "There is no upside to their announcing anything right now...." As the veracity of these stories is called into question by Toyota's experts, the tide of public opinion begins to shift from "Toyota is a monster" to "It's easy to call Toyota a monster and get my name in the paper."

17. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I just don't think it is a good idea for Toyota to do that. It probably needs to be done, but hopefully by someone else, maybe a stalking horse or friend of the industry. There are too many pitfalls for a potential defendant in a lawsuit to be making public, recorded statements.

But they pay people a whole lot of money to think this thing through, I bet they know exactly what they are doing, after a few weeks of confusion, almost certainly created by overestimating the intelligence and fairness of the media.