1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have Batteries, Want PHEV, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by usnavystgc, May 2, 2012.

1. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. Perhaps Robb has a special deal with Headway. An email he sent me stated the 40152S cells delivered were 'specially selected' to yield 16ah rather than the rated 15ah.

2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the videos on the PIS website (green drive expo) shows a PIS kit using the distributed miniBMS boards with headway cells. Normally PIS do not use the miniBMS boards but just did it for the video. You would have to ask Dimitri from www.cleanpowerauto.com for exact details. Best to ask Dimitri whether distributed or centralized would be best.

3. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If I was Joel I would increase the battery pack to 10kwh or as big as allowed by the space available inside the rear cargo tray.

4. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can try using this SoC spoofing device from autobeyours

DISCOUNTED INSURANCE SALVAGE

It may be a better deal than using a BMSplus. I have not read any posts about anybody who has bought it and is using it so I do not know. it may be an old outdated design that was used by PIS. Just another option.

And the best part is that they accept Paypal

1 person likes this.
  5. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Autobeyours aka DiscInsSlvg are good people and business. He rebuilt my OEM Inverter on my 04Prius.

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I just assumed they are good people after I read on their website that they accept Paypal. Which does not mean that other websites like PIS which only accept a bank Check are not good people. Maybe they just want to save the Paypal fee and not to have to pass it on to the customer by hiding it in the kit price.

7. jdh2550

jdh2550 Co-Founder, Current Motor Company

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Navy,
    As I posted in the other thread I'm planning on recreating pEEf's approach. I'm toying with the idea of open sourcing the software. If you want to follow along with what I'm doing I'd be happy to share.

8. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be interested in what hardware you are planning on using to intercept the appropriate Canbus frames.

9. jdh2550

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Lopez,

I'm going to use one of these: Atmel Store / Atmel AT32UC3C-EK It's an Eval Kit for an Atmel processor and has 2 CAN ports so can act as the bridge device quite nicely. I work with Atmel processors for my job so I'm fairly confident I can write the code (I understand the concepts of CAN but have never written CAN software - yet...).

It actually has far more capability than needed. Once (OK, if!!!) I get it working I'll layout a board (or have a friend do it) with just the components I need.

2 people like this.
  10. jdh2550

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    p.s. the Eval Kit arrives on Friday... :)

11. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks promising. Maybe you should start a new thread, "My ECM controller project". I am not familiar at all with EEprom Flash programming. I think you use a debugging tool to download your code into the EEprom and put it into run mode. What kind of software does it use. I doubt that I could be of any help to you with programming but I am willing to test pilot the software.

1 person likes this.
  12. jdh2550

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the offer to be a test pilot. I'll keep that in mind. It's going to be a while before I get to that stage.

I will start either a thread here on PC or start a blog over on V is for Voltage (another site I hang out on).

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm already glued to this updates.....:rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JD,
    I'm definitely interested. I really like pEEf's approach as well and really want to use the batteries I have. I really like the idea of replacing the OEM battery instead of the contactor based approach. I don't know if you've already sourced the batteries but, if not, I would be willing to send mine you're way on the cheap in return for sharing your info with me and helping me eventually go PHEV. I don't know if the batteries I have (Headway 40152S) will meet your application needs (due to low C charge ratings). Regen will be limited with these batteries but the ability to plug in should alleviate/offset some of that limitation. From what I can tell (with my limited knowledge), there is about 3.8kw capacity with the 76 cells I have.

Either way, I appreciate what you're trying to do and that you're willing to open source it.

3 people like this.
  15. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Autobeyours aka DiscountInsSalvg sells parts, rebuilds, sells Gen2 Prius, and service's. He also posts on PChat . They are (if not already) selling a modified (OEM HV battery pack) which will have similar qualities to peef's approach......
    I think he also had delivery/supply issues's with PISupply (posted on PC) and had to seek other supply paths

Reinvolt and others sell rebuild OEM HV packs on ebay. These would be different than the above pack by autobeyours. Also Reinvolt may be over priced compared to just getting a replacement from Toyota Parts dealer which has stated history and not a mix/match rebuild of 3rd party.......

16. jdh2550

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a kind offer on the cells but I'm going to use 40Ah large format prismatic cells (our bikes use the 60Ah cells - check out Current Motor - Home). These cells have a 2C continuous rating and a 3C max recharge rating. 2C is actually a little skinny because as I understand it the pack will see > 100A draw. But they do have a peak rating of 10C.

If things work out the way I hope them to then we will be able to limit regen (per appropriate CAN messages). However, what's the constant C rating for discharge? And what's the format of your pack (i.e. are you paralleling any of the cells?). Discharge may be more of an issue than recharge.

I'll share the info anyways - I'm not sure but I might go the "donation-ware" based approach, or stick with purely open-source. But I'm in this for fun not profit.

I'll start a new thread.

3 people like this.
  17. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plug In Supply aka PIS still slamming Plug in Solutions,3Prong Power and others. If throwing others under the bus is a business plan then PISupply is the company for you...................

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    me3

19. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just thought I'd let you all know that I finally got my PHEV (People Hybrid Electric Vehicle). Here are some pics.
    2012-06-18_21-59-26_969.jpg 2012-06-18_21-59-26_969.jpg 2012-06-18_22-00-41_268.jpg 2012-06-18_22-01-09_598.jpg 2012-06-18_22-01-24_938.jpg 2012-06-18_22-01-59_894.jpg
    The specs are:

1 24V 30AH battery pack (16 40152s Headway cells)
    1 24VDC 500W delectric motor (Currie Technology)
    1 modified front crank with freewheel (so the pedals don't turn when the motor is powering the crank)
    1 crazy looking motor mount (that works very well)

Max speed 27.9 (with my fat 213 lb body)
    Max range (varies by how much you want to pedal but, I went 17 miles yesterday and still had about 40% charge left)
    mpge is undetermined
    total cost: about $500 (including the batteries). Most of the parts I had in the garage. You can see the "donor" electric scooter in the background of some of the pics.

Really fun to ride and a big hit with the kids.

Attached Files:

jdh2550, dave77 and mrbigh like this.
  20. jdh2550

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very cool. Now, go put a chain guard on that thing - sure, it's all fun until someone loses a finger (or worse :eek:)

p.s. I love the motor mount!