1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Auto Leveling Sensor Issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Unleashd, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Unleashd

Unleashd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For the past few days, I've had this read triangle indication come On and go Off at times. In reading through the forums, I gather that it is due to a faulty Headlight Auto Leveling Sensor that is installed in the rear Driver side wheel well. Attached here is a picture of the indicator. Can someone please confirm my finding?

On further reading of the forums, I see a mention of Part # 89408-47010 that needs to be replaced. But I found additional parts that maybe required in this search. Do I need to buy all these parts? Or just the one single part (#89408-47010)

TIA.

Attached Files:

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The level sensor for cars with HID lights is actually connected to the rear axle on the drivers side. As the body/axle relationship changes it tells the car to adjust the reflectors inside the HID headlights. Get under the rear axles and look for broken parts, unhooked or broken wires. The only level sensors I've seen go bad are cars from "rust belt" areas where they salt the roads. You should also scan the car for specific error codes with an appropriate scan tool.

3. ozarkretiree

ozarkretiree Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I went through this issue but I never got the red triangle. My lights just stayed way low as the circuit had failed when I had a load in the hatch. I agree with the scan tool approach, with or without the dealer.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Unleashd likes this.
  5. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What was the outcome of this error message?