1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight bulb replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exmetrodriver, Jul 6, 2014.

1. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Went to get a back up headlight bulb for the glove box and I hit a roadblock. They have a halogen version and a HID bulb. What one would be the factory replacement for a 2005? And manufactures better then others?

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your car has HID bulbs it will be equipped with a leveling sensor by the rear driver's side wheel attached to the torsion beam

I bought a spare Philips D2R HID bulb from Amazon over a year ago. Neither HID bulb has failed on my 05 for the last 100K miles.

3. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No leveling sensor above the torsion beam. So was it just the base models that got the halogen in 2005? Are the HID better lights?

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HIDs were optional. They are brighter than halogen. HIDs are often problematic. The leveling sensor rusts and requires replacement for cars driven in the snow belt. The HID bulbs and ballasts are expensive.

5. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    good information. Thanks.