1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights go on immediately when starting car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mediahound, Oct 12, 2014.

1. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I'm in a garage and start the car, with the headlights on 'AUTO', they go on immediately, even before the engine turns on and starts running. Is this bad for the wiring in any way?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No impact whatsoever. Working as designed.

3. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Also, is there any way to prevent them from going on if I'm at a stoplight under an underpass? It seems silly for them to go on for 30 seconds only to shut off again after the light turns green.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Change the "AUTO" light sensitivity in "SETTINGS" or turn the light stalk switch to something other than "AUTO".

5. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I changed it to what I think is the lowest sensitivity, however it's not easy to tell what is in fact the lowest. I think I have it on the 1 setting, but the lights still go on pretty often when I'm under an underpass.

6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mine does exactly as yours. It's normal. There is nothing wrong.

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    "Least" sensitive still triggers after a time in the dark.

8. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Works the same as in my Z-71, previous Corvettes, and Lexus'es, doing what they 'possed to do. [ Mine does the same ]

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's normal. Have mine set to least sensitive & it turns on about 30secs of going into a garage

10. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius c didn't have auto headlights, but my liftback does, so it took a while to get used to the fact that I didn't have to turn the lights off when I set them on auto.

Meanwhile my c would whine at me when I turned it off if I left the lights on, since it would stay on and drain the battery like in a normal car if you leave the lights on.

That said, I'm wondering why auto-headlights aren't a standard feature by this point on every car. Does the stuff to make auto headlights work cost an arm and a leg?

11. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The thing I don't like about it is it would seem that it makes the headlight bulbs burn out faster. If I'm just pulling out of my carport, I don't need the headlights on, but on AUTO, they turn on for a few seconds and then just turn off after I back out.

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not sure of the laws in every country, but here, headlights are mandatory while driving. They aren't necessarily full brightness, and in some cases they are run in series to consume less power.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the last few years I'm seeing a LOT of late model cars, with BC plates, and no daytime running lights. I'm guessing people are cross-border shopping for their vehicle, getting US versions sans Daytime Running Lights, and our provincial government has elected to turn a blind eye to it.

Hawaii was an eye opener for me: folks driving deep, deep, deep into dusk with NO lights. Between that and the bikers without helmets, just a different mind set in the land of the free I guess.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    BC has never been blind to Albertans, and we expect to get sheared whenever we travel there. BC has come to mean, "Bring Cash."

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I live in Illinois. It was a law here that motorcycle riders had to wear helmets. Some civil rights organization challenged that law in court and they won. The law was struck down. A civil rights violation of the riders. The craziness goes on. Bicycle riders here are becoming a nightmare. They are on the sidewalks and just all over the road and no controls over them. Just ridiculous.

#15 Okinawa, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What are the differences? There's no front plate on Alberta cars, right? What about DRL?

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you've ever watched dash-cam motorcycle accidents on you Tube, its hard to imagine why anyone would want to ride in traffic without a helmet, Russia or not. Most times, it's the difference between a smashed skull and a bad headache. At least it was for me when I had a crash.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When traveling north of the border, I've noticed that too. Considering how long Canada has required DRLs, the number of vehicles driving without those lights seems excessive. You can't have that many old pre-DRL vehicles and American visitors. Could there be a significant subculture of refuseniks who disable the lights?

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The front plate serves no purpose and ruins the look of the car. There's never a case where someone can't check the rear plate if they need to.

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have watched the dash-cam accidents. I don't ride a motorcycle but law or no law, if I did ride one I would wear a helmet. You would think common sense would dictate that. It is a different world now, in more ways than one.