1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hellish Hybrid Challenge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, Jun 2, 2009.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Man Takes the Hellish Hybrid Challenge | NBC Miami

From the land of eco-friendly and too much time on his hands, we bring you Rick Kearney.

On Monday, Kearney embarked on a journey to end all journeys when he hopped into his electric hybrid Toyota Prius and headed for the nation's capital, vowing to make it to DC in 11 days on just 11 gallons of gas. We're not sure if he is only taking $11 or the significance of the number 11, but it would be a pretty neat accomplishment if the little Prius that could can make it all the way to Obamaland without guzzling hordes of gas.

The eco-challenge is more than a publicity stunt and marketing ploy for Toyota to push the pint-sized Prius. It may be a sign of things to come on Florida roads and highways everywhere.
    Gas pumps are sucking wallets dry like mosquitoes after a good rain. Last year, when prices went soaring into the nether regions, Prius sales jumped in Florida. Prices are slowly starting to climb now, which might start a similar run to dealerships offering relief in the form of hybrids.

Click Link above for full story and Video. (This is being done in a 2009 Plug In Prius)

2. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    He has a HyMotion pack or similiar set up. 11 days? This is not a hard thing to do. Anybody with a HyMotion pack could do this.

3. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. Bear68

Bear68 Member

This guy is also having the time of his Life!!! I may be driving 30 miles and stopping for 5 hours to recharge and getting by on a few hours of catnaps where I can. (not to mention I donated a pint of blood at the first stop at the Stuart Florida Hometown News) I have been meeting tons of incredibly friendly people and having a great time explaining what the trip is about and what the car is about.

One of the major goals here is to let people know that this technology exists and is available right now! You wouldn't believe the number of people whom I have met who have never even HEARD of a Prius!!! If you would like to see the GPS tracker, click on www.earlstewarttoyota.com and click the scrolling banner anouncing the journey.

5. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This looks like a promotion of HyMotion pack more than the stock Prius car itself.
    But yea, along the way if he keeps the wall-plug pack charged up, using less than 11-gallon from FL to DC is not a sci-fi story.