1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello! Car shopping.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JKMimi, Aug 5, 2014.

1. JKMimi

JKMimi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all!

So, I've finally come to a point that I feel I need to get a new car. As things keep breaking on my 20 year old car (which I've driven for 10+ years, and my mother for about 6 years before that) -- purchased about 4 years used. I have a short, but not short enough list of cars I'm considering. Among that list are both the Prius and Prius C. The others are Corolla, Civic, Fit, & Yaris. My current car is a '94 Civic which until the last couple years was pretty good to me (I had the transmission go on me in 2012, and then spent like $700 in 2013 on a variety of different smaller issues, including a new radiator) I was hoping to get more time out of it than I have, but I'm tired of putting money into it, and tired of the time I'm left without transportation when it has to be repaired. And I'm still pained to part with it, but between the window that hasn't worked in a year, the door handle that's broken (which as had me climbing out my passenger side on a couple of occasions), and now a noise coming from one of the back breaks, I think it's time. I've been poking around the car lots the last few weeks, test drove a few of the cars, but am lacking frontrunners (I keep flip flopping whenever I think I might be leaning one way or another). My friends own a Prius (an '06 or '07) that they bought new (and actually a second they got used just last year of a similar model year) and love their cars. But I believe they do a lot more driving than I do. Even if their work drive isn't a lot longer now, it was in the past, and even now, they go out and take day trips to the beach and such with much greater regularity than I'd ever even think or desire to. I believe they are well past 100k miles on the first Prius.

That all said, I'm not a high mileage driver. My 20 year old car is just over 140,000 miles, and I hit 100,000 way back in '05 (and that even includes a few trips to LA and back that I made in years past - it's not really a thing I do anymore). My drive to work is short (I have two places, one that I'm at more often than the other, but neither is very long) . Once a week it's less than 2 miles (all streets with a few lights at a posted speed limit of around 35/40). The rest of the week it's across town at probably just shy of 5 miles (a few traffic lights and then like 4 miles on the highway). A full electric vehicle is not in the cards. We have an old house that isn't even fond of running the hair dryer, I'd be afraid to plug a whole car in. Besides there's no place to plug in where I work, and I still want the ease and versatility of having the ability for it to keep going on gas if needed for the potential, but rare longer drive.

Perhaps as one can see, I'm looking for economical (not just in mpg, as even my current old car doesn't do too bad in that regard, I only fill up every two weeks, and even then it's barely half a tank, if that). But I want a car that will be reliable, will be 'cheapish' and easy to maintain and will go and go for years. I'm going used, but looking hopefully for something no older than 2010 and definitely under 50000 miles (less the younger the car is).

I'm concerned about the long term effects on the car more of such short shots of driving. My off time I don't do a lot of trips, mostly equally short drives to groceries and other errands/shopping. Longer drives are still under 15 miles usually to my friends & family's places, and that's not even always every month, so it's not a big contributor to extra miles or longer trips.

I want whatever car I get though to be my car for the next 15-20 years. And I am pretty certain my job will not be the same that whole time. I work retail in a somewhat fading industry. Likely five years from now, if not sooner, I'll be working somewhere else (though I have no concepts of where, likely could be equally short across town kind of deal, but who knows). If only I could read the future, this would probably be an easier decision.

Does anyone know from experience the long term wear potential of that kind of driving on the hybrid side of the car, especially that somewhat pricy battery? (Makes me wonder if this kind of driving could have contributed to my transmission failing in my Civic at a fairly low mileage marker for such an issue or if it was just that it was 18 years old). I'm aware MPG may not really be too much different than the 27mpg (estimated via miles driven and gas used between fill ups) I'm getting with my Civic. But I definitely don't want to find that in five years or so or just after warranty is up that battery fails and I'm suddenly paying $3000 bucks (basically like a transmission) to replace it.

I live in the Bay Area (California), so harsh winters aren't a huge factor, but it can get a bit frosty over night in the heart of winter. And I park outside. (Since I know temperature can play a role.)

I'm really struggling to figure out just what might be the best car for me for the next 15+ years. Any advice and Prius info from real life usage would be appreciated. Thanks :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    corolla or camry.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive a Prius before you buy one!
    Drive a Fit, Colorra, Elantra, etc....
    Then repeat.
    I'd be tempted to rent a Prius for a weekend.

Priuses (prii for the geeks) are establishing a very good longevity record. My company (Big Phone) uses them for fleet vehicles, and if you do your own maintenance they're going to be just about the cheapest car to operate for 10-15 years, especially on the left coast.
    Period.
    However (comma!!!!!!) there are some interesting "features" in the Prius driving experience that will not express themselves fully in a 10-minute test flight with a drooling sales person in the right hand seat.
    You should also know that you're a (the) CARB state, so that hybrid components like the $1500 battery are covered for a longer period than non-CARB states.
    I want to say that it's 8 years, but you need to look that up.

If you and your next car are going to be together for more than the usual 3-4 years then you need to find out NOW whether or not the non-extendable visors, Yaris-like seating, goofy inside-the-car reverse beep, twitchy interstate handling, etc are going to accentuate your relationship with your car or cause you to experience chronic buyer's remorse.

Me?
    I'd love to have a Prius because I could also use it for supplementary home power, but I have acreage and a towing requirement and I can't justify a another vehicle with a 0-pound tow rating, and I loathe car payments.
    Maybe when my 06 wears out....;)

Good Luck!

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well to an extent, I believe you've already done some research as the list of potentials you provide I believe are all very good choices.

Listen, I love my Prius. The biggest bullet in the gun is that the gas mileage is "Hybrid" phenomenal.

But honestly? Given the meager, low miles you put on your vehicle, I don't know if I would recommend a Prius. Also given that you apparently like to keep a vehicle for a long, long time?

Prius is reliable, but as a Hybrid, you do at some point nearing a decade, have to start thinking about Hybrid Battery Replacement. It will come, if you keep the vehicle long enough.

Bottom line, if having a Hybrid isn't THAT important to you? I'd pick from the rest of the list. All of which I think are good choices.

My previous vehicle was a 2010 Honda Fit. And if you want a sub-compact hatch? It was great. Amazing configuration with the flat load floor and the "magic" seats that folded up. For it's size it was amazing what I could fit into it. It also was like a Go-Kart on rails...yes, "Fun to Drive".

But I think ALL the choices on your list are good vehicles with good reputations, and you really couldn't go wrong with any of them....including The Prius.

I've been given rental Corollas, the past few years, and I'm always impressed. That's a vehicle that always feels like you could put 150,000 miles on it without it breaking a sweat.

If I was you, I'd think about how much you might want a Hybrid and why...and if having a Hybrid doesn't become an over riding factor, then I'd probably just go test drive ALL the cars on your list. And pick the one you like the best.

If you decide, having a Hybrid and the efficiency a Hybrid offers, even with limited driving IS important enough to you? Then certainly, The Prius is a great choice.

But even keeping in mind where I am..and where I'm posting, I would say that for everyone, The Prius doesn't necessarily have to be the only choice.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the short trips, you may not be able to take full advantage of a hybrid. It'll get better mileage but not by much as you're barely out of the warm-up time for any vehicle you purchase by the time you reach your destination (yes, short trips are bad for any vehicle so it's advisable to stretch its legs once in a while to get the engine fully up to operational temperature and burn off any excess moisture or acid that may have built up during the short trips).

For lowest TCO, I'd stick with a Yaris. The maintenance schedule has nothing but oil changes until 96,000km (60,000 miles) in Canada. I presume it's a fairly similar maintenance schedule in the U.S.

Otherwise, all your other choices (Corolla, Civic, Fit) are fairly good choices too - All are reliable and cheap to maintain. It's down to matter of taste - hatchback or sedan? purchase price, features and brand.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i always forget the yaris, showing my age.

7. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know you said no electric cars, but why not the Plug-In Prius? It sells for about the same price as a regular Prius three, gets you a carpool lane sticker (whether you need it or not), and is perfect for the kind of short trips you do - allowing you to do 10-15 miles on all electric with no wear on the gas engine and no warm-up issues. Plugging it in at home shouldn't be an issue as long as you have a regular outlet somewhere near where you park - it only draws about the same as a medium sized microwave oven - so no big deal. When it has no more charge, you drive it just like a regular Prius.

I would not hesitate to buy any Prius for long-term ownership - I think that the slim chance you will have to replace the battery in 15 years is more than offset by the fact that it will need much less maintenance over that period than a Corolla or Civic - and even now a battery replacement costs little more than you likely paid for your transmission in your Honda. Ten years from now it will be even cheaper still.

8. JKMimi

JKMimi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies everyone! :) I think a round of test drives of all the possibilities is probably is in order. At least I feel like Prius shouldn't have any bigger potential costs from my driving tendencies than any of the traditional gas only ones. Obviously at some point beyond 10 years with any car some repairs and replacements of some things like the hybrid battery or a traditional transmission come into play among other things.

Good gas mileage is something I want, and even a little better with the Prius over the others would be nice, but I also don't consider it a key decider as I know a Civic or Corolla would still give me pretty good gas mileage. I like the potential cargo space with the Prius. I don't load my car a lot, but there have been at least some instances over the past 10 years with my Civic where I've put some interesting things in it (ladder, yard equipment, computers, chairs, futons, etc) and I'm betting the Prius is a pro at that kind of stuff. I find the idea of having what amounts to nearly a modest sized truck bed of space if I put the seats down, as well as with them up having still a good amount of cargo space with the original Prius. I did look at a 2012 Civic today and it does have a nice trunk though, so...

The other thing with the Prius that I find highly appealing is not having to smog it (at least until California decides it can find a way to smog them, but hopefully I'd at least get some years without the smog testing out of it before that happened.) I despise smog testing. (I'm all for the notion of cleaner cars, obviously, but actually having to get my car tested is a pain.) Every two years spending an hour to hour and a half sitting around waiting for them to finish smogging my car (cause all too often there's like 3 cars in front of me when I arrive and just one dude on duty) and then forking out $70 for that hour of time I can't get back. lol

Prius is a little more to buy than Civic, Corolla, or the smaller hatchbacks. But I am debating if the benefits it has (slightly better gas mileage, no smogging for now, cargo space, general roominess, and at least relatively low maintenance for the first 10ish years before the battery becomes a potential concern, that regenerative breaking (cause I know I had to replace the break pads on my Civic some years back), lacking of belts I hear to need replacing) will in the long run offset or at least even out any initial cost differential between it and a Corolla or Civic.

9. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Since you are buying used, I would suggest test driving all of your choices, pick the top 3 then find the best lowest mileage, lowest price car of the group and buy that, if you are lucky it should last as long as your current car.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best of luck.
    Like I said, I think all your candidates are decent to great choices.

And one thing I'd say is as far as The Prius goes? It's not "slightly better gas mileage"-It's fantastic gas mileage.

As I pointed out, I loved my Honda Fit...it is by all normal standards a very economical vehicle. I wouldn't and have not hesitated to recommend them to anyone interested in a sub-compact hatch.

But in all honesty, I was driving a sub-compact...The Prius is larger and more comfortable. And most often I was lucky to get 270 miles on a tank with The Fit.

With The Prius? I'm not really even thinking about filling up at that point. 440 miles + (this is conservative) tanks are the rule. Routinely better in the summer.

Again, I like all your potential choices, and given your very modest driving demands perhaps MPG's shouldn't necessarily be the over riding factor.

If possible, I would continue to recommend test driving all of the vehicles. You might discover personal intangibles with any of them that would rule them out and thus make your decision easier.

11. JKMimi

JKMimi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still looking and debating. I need to test drive some more. I've mostly discounted the Fit as it's near impossible to even find. I think the Prius, Prius C, Civic, and Corolla are my main contenders. But Yaris is still in the conversation for the moment. I've been trying to make pro con lists as well with things like reliability ratings, cost of ownership, etc.

I do have what I'd say is a somewhat short, steep dip to my driveway. So I'm vaguely concerned about that as I know the Prius has kind of low ground clearance. Especially since when coming in too straight, I've been known to scrape even my old Civic's bumper. Also curious about the key fobs, as I have little experience with such things. I've always just had a key. My mom keeps mentioning some news story she saw about those key fobs being hacked and stuff??

12. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Don't worry about the key fobs, worry about your driveway, the Prius is probably a no go, my driveway wasn't that steep and the Prius (a 2011) scrapped every time from any angle I could use.

13. JKMimi

JKMimi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's definitely a factor I'm pondering. I keep hoping to get to park my car right next to a new Prius so I can really compare just what kind of difference there is in the front bumper height.

14. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a prius c last year because of the fact that it was pretty cheap compared to a regular prius and got superb mileage. I drive it a little longer to work than the distance you provided (about 20 miles one way, 1/3 highway, 2/3 suburban streets), but lately this summer I've been averaging 58-60 combined mpg (it's rated 50 mpg combined city/freeway). I usually get to about 480 miles or so before I really need to consider filling it up, but I could probably surpass 500 if I wanted to.

I used to own a 93 Honda Civic prior to that. After multiple repairs over the years, including replacing the head gasket twice, replacing belts in the engine (and hearing that "chirping noise" after a year or so, indicating the belt had tears in it already), the window seals (and a window), and the car not wanting to start if it sat in direct sunlight and heated up, and only averaging about 29 mpg combined, I decided to take the plunge and buy a new prius c.

The acceleration is roughly the same between the c and the civic I had, so I wasn't missing much there. But I like that the c is a beltless engine, so that's one less thing you have to worry about replacing. I have the four model, so it has the key fob and semi-decent navigation (not as good as a dedicated GPS unit, but nice to have one in the car), and I have yet to pull the keys out of my pockets thanks to the push start and car unlocking automatically when I touch the handlebar (and closing itself by swiping the front of it when I leave).

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I,too, believe that a Corolla or a Camry would be the best car for the OP.

16. JKMimi

JKMimi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still haven't truly measured the front end, but I kind of eyeballed with the aid of a flyer I had in my car the height of my front bumper compared with that of a Prius that was parked nearby in the lot at work today. If my eyeballing wasn't lying, the Prius actually appeared to have a 'smidge' more clearance on the front bumper than my car does. Though I did notice that Prius had some front corner bumper wear, likely fromt scraping and bumping things. But if it's really no different than the height on my Civic's bumper then Prius is viable.

I'm very 'lured' by the extra space that the full size Prius has. But the C is really cute and is a little less money for at least the same mechanical bits. I'm still very much debating it all still. Prius, Prius C, Corolla, and Civic are all still in heavy consideration. (Outside pondering Yaris still to.) Had to abandon the Fit due to there being none available to buy in my area.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius c has a 1.5 litre engine with a 144V battery (19.3kW/26hp output). The inverter has a max voltage of 520V. MG2 comes in at 45kW (60hp) & 125lb-ft

The Prius has a 1.8 litre engine with a 201.6V battery (27kW/36hp output). The inverter has a max voltage of 650V and MG2 comes in at 60kW (80hp) and 153lb-ft of torque.

2 things that sales advisers will not tell you:

1. The Prius c with 16" alloys will have a significantly larger turning radius (37.4ft vs 31.4ft)
    2. The Prius with 17" alloys will only have a minimal increase in turning radius but the steering ratio is noticeably quicker than the rest of the Prius lineup with 15" alloys. It uses a different electric power steering motor too.

So just be aware that there are differences in the way the Prius will drive depending on the wheel size for those two Prius members.

18. JKMimi

JKMimi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I definitely still have to do more complete test drives on any and all the cars I'm considering. I've only test driven once so far, and it was a short, round the block kind of drive just to get an initial idea of the cars.

19. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you take it out on the freeway for at least 10-15 minutes (hopefully there's no rush hour traffic at the time though), so you'll see if you'd like the car's acceleration for those times you need to take the freeway. Again, they'll probably feel a lot like your current civic in that aspect, but definitely make sure you like how fast (or slow) they are when you need to go fast. Bring some music along so you can also test road noise in the vehicles without music, and then play some music to see if it can drown out said road noise enough for you.

And again, consider if you'll need hatchback features of folding down seats to hold more stuff in it. If you do it enough, it might not be a bad idea to get a hatchback.

For the most part, the prius is a very reliable car with very little issues with them. Sure, you do hear about someone's hybrid battery dying on them, but the vast majority of owners haven't had any problems with them and they're up to 150k-200k miles having only replaced wipers and tires. And if you buy it new, they have a long warranty on the hybrid system, not to mention the free maintenance on the first 2 years or 25,000 miles on them.

The fact that it's fairly low maintenance was a deciding factor for me, again, having dealt with numerous issues on my civic, and not really wanting to deal with said problems again if I can avoid them. I know buying new cost me more, but I really like the peace of mind that the only history that my car has will be whatever I do with it, not someone else who may have crashed it or beat the engine up. And I plan to keep this car for at least 10-15 years, barring anything stupid happening of course, such as an accident or unforeseen major breakdown. But it's a Toyota and they have a deserved reputation of their cars running forever, boring as they may be to drive.

20. JKMimi

JKMimi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Measured bumpers today. Not much else. Hard to do a lot on Saturdays, the dealerships are full of people. But maybe the Prius-C is too low in front. But the regular Prius would appear to be about the same height in front as my old Civic. The Corolla had way more height up front (and I'm guessing the newer Civics are probably similar to the Corolla, but definitely not lower than my old Civic.)

This car buying thing really is hard for me. If all cars were the same color and priced the same then maybe it wouldn't be as hard. If price and colors and stuff weren't a thing I think I'd really just be debating Prius or Civic. But initial costs matter, as do long term costs (since I do need whatever car I get to last me at least 15 years, 20 would be nicer). I also keep going 'am I really a Prius driver'. Cause I feel like the car is such an icon, like do I fit that? Plus it is the pricier. And Civic for same year and mileage anyway seems to be a little pricier than similarly equipped Corolla.