1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help! charging question

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tami Topper, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Tami Topper

Tami Topper ocd about mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got my pip today...the dealership helped me set the charging timer for 3am to 6am. so i got home and plugged it in..but it is making noise as if it is charging already...the charging icon next to the port is illuminated . Is all of this normal? also, i have an 120v outlet in my garage, but it is not gfic...i plan to have an electrician out to change this, but is it ok to charge it until then? thanks!
    Tami

2. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    you have a choice to set either the start time or the end time (where charger will decide when to start and finish by your end time). after you set the timer, you will see a flashing green indicator. then plug in and you will see the indicator in the plug port light up for about 10s (and hear some clicks). if the light stays on for longer then it means you aren't in timer mode.

i set mine to start in the middle of the night, when the rates are lower, taking about 2.5 hrs for a full charge.

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the brick is gfic:D there is a test button on the brick to verify ground fault protection is working

Tami Topper likes this.
  4. Tami Topper

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ok, thanks...i will try resetting just the start time...

5. Tami Topper

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    priuskitty, thank you! that is great news!!

6. Tami Topper

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    K so went out and checked on it...and it was already fully charged again..so i unplugged it. I guess i didn't really need to charge it today since i just got it and it was 100% charged. should i let the battery run almost or all the way out? seriously, i need a class!!

7. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as other's at priuschat have said, "just drive it" You don't have to have a completely depleted battery to re-charge it.

Tami Topper likes this.
  8. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drive 2.7 miles to work, so that's 5.4 miles, I will opt to charge it again the next day or wait till I drive to work again and re-charge a depleted battery. It's entirely up to you.

9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What's important is that you have to press the timer button on the dash every single time before plugging in. It's not a "permanent" timer. So that's why it started charging immediately — even though you had set up the timer, you probably never actually engaged it.
    I charge whenever I can. Unexpected errands come up all the time and I prefer to have my car ready to go and fully charged whenever. People who pay for their charges (houses) and who are on time-of-use electricity rate plans might prefer to schedule their charging to take place during off-peak hours.

Tami Topper likes this.
  10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just to be more clear...each time after you power off the car you must set the timer if you want a delayed charge. It will remember the previous time (or you can modify it ) for each mode.

Mike

Tami Topper and lensovet like this.
  11. 34Hupp

34Hupp 1934 Hupmobile - Americas 1st Aerodynamic

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you properly set your charge timer, there will be a green light on your dash panel that will flash every second or so until the charge cycle starts. If it is not flashing, your timer is not set and your charge is not going to start. When the charge cycle starts, the green light goes out. My first "timed" charge did not work the following morning; thought I did something wrong. Turned out the dealer set the am/pm incorrectly!

Tami Topper likes this.
  12. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I used the timer at first but I have reverted to the practice of just plugging it in when I park at home. Unless you have a lower priced rate it night there is no need to use the timer. I prefer the "always ready" approach and having a full battery. There is virtually no "leakage" for several days. The theory that a freshly charged batter will inhibit the ICE from coming on in cold weather has not be verified. The CA folks are on a variable rate plan so they use the timer a lot. Us midwesterners can charge anytime with impunity.

13. Tami Topper

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ok i understand now. i am so grateful for this site.

14. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It has been suggested that it is better NOT to charge a PIP right after driving it, when the battery is HOT, unless you really have to. Also, it's best to charge the PIP so that it finishes just before you're ready to drive it.

15. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You'll see other posts about using the Start Timer or the Stop timer.
    Some have found that the Stop timer starts the charging too early.

I always use the Start timer and set it 2:30 - 3 hours before I plan to drive.

And as stated above, you have to set the Charge Timer after turning the PIP off. It will remember the last set time. You can change the timer setting, or keep it, then press the Timer button to set it. And the green charge indicator will flash.

16. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Urban Myth.

17. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    according to this, nissan leaf manual warns against a bunch of scenarios, including "After use, allow vehicle & battery to cool down before charging". http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/B/805.PDF

however, i don't recall this warning in the PiP manual so i do it once in a while when rates justify and have some time before going out again... we'll see in a few years

18. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Indeed. PIP engineering is designed to baby the battery. I don't think you can even begin to put the loads and strain on a PIP as you can on a Leaf or Volt. The ICE comes on any time there is a significant drain. The 12 mile range of the PIP traction makes it hard to generate high temperatures. 15-20 minutes is about it. As I read the PIP manual I saw an overabundance of warnings and caution. If they believed that plugging in the charger when you parked your car was harmful they would have either warned you or built in a delay switch. I have a water well and it when it fills up the pressure tank, it will not come on for a half hour. A built in automatic delay would be simple to design if needed. I don't think they believed it was needed because the overall design quality is so conservative.

19. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    just checked the manual, there is absolutely nothing there about this. but keep in mind that the Prius, unlike the Leaf, has an active thermal management system.

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When you plug into the PIP to charge it up, the cooling fans come on.

lensovet likes this.