1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help my power steering is gone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Feb 6, 2008.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My power steering is gone the mfd says in red square ps and there is no speedometer all of my lights are blinking the park drive B reverse my climate conroll is gone so is mpg all this stuff i checked my fuseses all seem good any ideas

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Call dealer.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *moved to troubleshooting forum*

ehh.. sounds like all the electronics (not just PS) have gone bonkers.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bet dead 12V battery or poor connection. Let us know what the dealer finds.

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am very interested to find out what the diagnosis is by the dealer too.;)

6. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Got Punctuation?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That went out with the power steering: "Help! I'm heading for the end of a sentence and I can't find a full stop!"

Tom

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you accidently push the power button twice rapidly while in ready? If so, just press firmly on brake and hit the power button again. This should bring it back to normal.

9. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Car now at dealer they say many codes sucha as disconected battery and something about synergy drive very odd two day earlier they said the computer was fine no codes now they did a recal on steering shaft when all this happend but they want to blame it on my aftermarkte stereo and power inverter

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    All I can say is that improper installation of audio eqpt and inverter *could* upset the 12 volt system. Suggest you fully disconnect all that stuff and see if the problem recurs. If so, troubleshoot your added wiring.

11. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: Help my power steering is gone + ev mod

well i had this stereo and power inverter for like 3 months no prob i took the car to the dealer for recal and diag they told me no error codes and my car was fine then the day after the steering shaft replacement all these things happen. i also have the ev mod is there any possability the ev mod could cause this? i removed the button before i took it to the dealer i knew if they saw it they would say ur warrenty is void but i couldnt remove the cable so it is still in place i dont think they have seen it but they still have not figured out what is wrong either they told me they were going wire by wire

12. bandaid

bandaid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As much as the normal prius owner likes to think they know everything about their vehicle, they don't. It is very dangerous and possibly deadly to monkey with alot of things on this vehicle. If you have the ability to change your own oil and put air in your tires please go ahead and do so, otherwise leave the diagnostics to the pros. I should know, I am a prius certified technician. So to emphasize some earlier posts, TAKE IT TO A DEALER if there is a problem.

13. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did take it to the dealer after that then i started having prblems. They still dont know wahts wrong but i get the feeling im gonna end up paying like 1500 or more. as a tech can you tell me if the ev mod could possibly do anything like what i have described

14. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well they figured it out after three days of diagnostics it turned out ot be a bad fuse

15. PAPARYNO

PAPARYNO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As a newbie,... I have a question on the "electronic steering". If the battery goes dead of in the case of the blown fuse, is the Prius driver at the mercy physics to just go straight ahead..... no steering at all??

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, the steering is electrically assisted, in the same fashion that normal power steering is assisted by the engine. You can still steer, but it takes more force.

Tom

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have driven a 2001 Prius both with and w/o power steering assist. The new model is of very similar design, but less likely to fail ;)

Keeping to your lane at highway speeds, the steering effort feels hardly different at all. But taking corners at low speeds (and parallel parking etc.) become very muscular activities w/o the electric assist.