1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP - Quick answer needed....Inverter fluid vs radiator coolant?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seeh2o, Dec 1, 2008.

1. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have a 2004 Prius. Is the coolant for the inverter the same as the coolant for the gas engine? I know they are both pink/red. I've read here they are different coolants, but I just talked to a Toyota service dept. and was told they are the exact same coolant, SLLC, I believe.

I was putting in windshield washer fluid and noticed that the inverter reservoir was below low, then I opened the ICE engine coolant reservoir and I couldn't see anything. I am currently out of town and am going to be driving about 300 miles in the next few hours, so I don't have the luxury of taking the car in right now, but I could run over to the dealership and buy a gallon of the red stuff.

2. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Nevermind...Galaxee to the rescue (again). Tis the same stuff. WHEW!

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I see that you will be topping off both reservoirs and then taking a long trip. Please check the fluid levels of both, as frequently as you can bear to, during th etrip. If you have a fluid leak in either system, it must be corrected without delay. Especially on the electricals side!

4. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Toyota SLLC is pink, not red, and prepare to pay dearly for it ($23 for a gallon of pre-diluted). The premium Prestone concentrate is only about $10 a gallon (makes 2 gallons of 50/50 mix), with the same specs as the SLLC.

fish1236 likes this.