1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Flickers out after replacement bulb AND ballast.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Travis Tortorige, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Travis Tortorige

Travis Tortorige New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We had what seemed like a normal situation with the driver's side burning pink for a minute then going out. I thought it was the bulb, purchased the bulb from Amazon, and the light burned bright, though more yellow than the typical light blue, and then went out. I replaced the Ballast with a different one, and got the same effect. The HID lights, burns OK for about 20 seconds, starts to pulse a little then shuts off.

Why would the HID turn on, with a LOUD ballast hum, and shut off with two ballasts, and a new bulb?

I've been messing about with HID lights for 15 years and have never seen this. I wonder if it is wiring related. My next test is to plug the passenger side headlight assembly into the driver's wiring harness.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Idk but, your plan sounds like the right next step. The only thing I can think of is the "new" ballast was bad???????

As yer probably aware, wiring rarely goes bad.

3. Martin Daugherty

Martin Daugherty New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the flicker, then driver's side out problem. Replaced both bulbs and now both headlights go out together after about 1 minute. Should I replace ballast. How do I find replacements?

RandyZ likes this.
  4. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your 2004 takes a D2R if it's HID. Is that the lamp you used?

5. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Amazon is usually reliable, but if you bought the lamps from another vendor through Amazon, you may have gotten some substandard lamps. That would be my guess rather than two ballasts going bad.