1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID FOGS AND HEADS AND INTERIOR SHOTS

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by fuhreshahh, Jul 23, 2013.

1. fuhreshahh

fuhreshahh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    20130722_212412.jpg 20130722_213717.jpg 20130722_213726.jpg 20130722_222245.jpg 20130722_222259.jpg

2. fuhreshahh

fuhreshahh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Forgot to type some stuff in. interior pics suck. but wanted to show the led maps and the airvent cupholders. also the fog lights before and between the HIDs. really lights up the road nicely. now i just need to change the signal flasher, which i can't seem to find to stop hyperflashing. and, NO i do not want to add load resistors, just because. Also if anyone knows how i could possibly hook up the fogs to the drl pin so that i can run the fogs on all lighting modes. or independently would be good too.

3. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    looks um... very bright lol

4. fuhreshahh

fuhreshahh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, big improvement from stock. I'm satisfied

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a lot of glare from the HID foglights. :(

I'm glad we won't be crossing paths ever. The reflector based foglights aren't good candidates for HID because they lack a cutoff shield to keep glare from blinding oncoming drivers and people in front of you.

SCH-I535

6. fuhreshahh

fuhreshahh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have already done road tests for oncoming and while behind others in traffic from a different vehicle. There is no "dazzle" effect. The fogs are low enough to not be a bother. and as I am sure you know that such lights would be reserved for low visibility road applications, so it is comforting to know that I will not be out of luck when my low beams are not enough. Especially since its my primary family vehicle.

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not true... I have never been flashed and I've had my fogs with HIDs for 6 months now. I use them daily as I don't get home until late. Go into my photo album and see the cutoff for yourself. The headlights are higher than the fogs.

8. fuhreshahh

fuhreshahh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

that fool must not have fogs, or must not realize that the fog lights are hardly a foot off the ground. or possibly his fog lights are above his headlights.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This fool has foglights... I even have a link in my sig below that discusses what I did to mitigate the glare problem with the reflector based foglights. ;)

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And no matter how much you argue that your foglights don't throw glare up above your lowbeam cutoffs, the camera doesn't lie.

In all of your pics above showing the foglights, they are throwing stray light (glare) into the camera lens producing flare in the pictures. The lowbeams are not, because the lens is above the lowbeam's cutoffs.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    These pics were taken of our Prius with projector foglights with a proper cutoff shield, they have 55w halogen bulbs in them.

In the first shot, the pic was taken at a low angle, below the cutoff level of the foglights. Note how the lights are producing light flare in the camera lens:

[​IMG]

This pic was taken at a higher angle, above the foglight cutoffs. See how there is no lens flare from the foglight beam? That's because there is a lot less stray light (glare) hitting the camera lens:

[​IMG]

Can you see which one of my pics look like your reflector based foglihts with HIDs? That's right, the one with a lot of light hitting the camera lens. But in your case, you can tell there is a lot of light output above the lowbeam cutoffs, or your lowbeam lights would be flaring into the lens as well. But they are not.

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ok... take two... go to my album... actually look at the pictures from inside my car... try doing this instead of looking at an awful picture. The "haze" is not noticeable when in person.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I don't have to look at pics in your album, you have glare from your foglights whether you admit it or not.

Do this. Park your Prius c facing a large wall or building at night about 30 feet away. Then take a video, not some still frame pics, of your lowbeams only illuminating the wall/building. There will be a nice sharp cutoff, that's good. Now turn on your foglights. Oops, did the previously dark area above the lowbeam cutoffs just get illuminated with a lot of stray light? You betcha. That's glare buddy, whether you admit it or not, that's stray light. The stuff that shines in people's eyes as you approach them or drive behind them.

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Actually... if you had looked at my album... I did this and you can see that it didn't get illuminated... the areas to the left and right get illuminated... but not the area above my low beams. ;)

15. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Buddy!!!

xliderider likes this.
  16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok buddy, I just looked at your album. :)

I don't see any videos, just still pics. The stills are no good because the camera will adjust to the light in the frame and you won't see the difference between the amount of illumination in the area above the lowbeam cutoffs like a video will show.

If you shoot a video and turn the foglights on and off and so on, you will clearly see that the previously dark area above the lowbeam cutoffs get illuminated by the foglights.

17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So now you are saying that the camera won't show light?... it's a crappy cell phone. It won't filter anything. :) Trust me... I know... Took me about 10 tries just to get a daylight picture.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, actually you can see that there is stray light in one of your pics in your album.

The one that is showing the illuminated foreground in front of the garage door... compare the amount of illumination on the garage door above the lowbeam cutoff point. Do you see how the garage door is illuminated more than the other pics where the foglights aren't on? Yep, that is the stray light above the lowbeam cutoffs illuminating the garage door higher up.

In fact, the amount of illumination higher up on the garage door, where the small windows are, is almost as much, if not more, than the one where I believe you have the lowbeams and highbeams on. So, the amount of glare from your foglights may appear to other motorists almost as if you had your highbeams on. The fact that you have never, ever been flashed at doesn't mean you don't have a problem, just that the other guy has been trying to shield their eyes and probably cussing at you too. ;)

Like I said, pics don't lie. If you want to run HIDs in your foglights, retrofit some projectors in there to get a proper physical cutoff.

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Either way, my point is that it isn't enough that it bothers anybody. I have been driving in front of my car and didn't even notice the lights until I looked. The only time it was an issue was when I crested a hill, but then... no amount of cut-offs is going to fix this issue. Like I said, I have had this for 6 months now in busy Atlanta traffic and not once have been flashed or had anybody hold their hand over their mirror or raise their night switch on the mirror, so you can take it as you want. But for me, I love the visibility this puts out on the sides, which is why I went with it.

But the light at the top of the garage is mostly refraction. Not direct light which is what will... as you said... "blind" people.

fuhreshahh likes this.
  20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't think I was going to change your mind. ;)

Now what happened to the guy that called me a fool? :rolleyes:

ztanos likes this.