1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Headlight Leveling System fault

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boostm3, Nov 12, 2013.

1. boostm3

boostm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First a bit of history: About a year ago, I received the headlight leveling system warnings comprising a red triangle alert with exclamation point in the middle located on the dash, combined with a yellow(ish) warning symbol on the center stack display comprising what looks like a headlight with up and down pointing arrows. Eventually, the warning lights went out, but the HID headlamps were left pointing in a down position that lit barely 10 ft in front of the car.. This is is supposedly their default position when the sensor breaks, most commonly due to moisture entering the sensor innards resulting in corrosion of the contact points. I effected the repair quoted elsewhere on this forum, and it was good to go.

Today, Ive got the warning lamps back (pics attached).. But what's different is that the headlights appear to be aimed as they have been since it was fixed a year ago.. Im not experiencing that down position that so typically accompanies a bum sensor. So, Im in a bit of a quandary as to what to do. Taking it to the dealer will likely result in him replacing the sensor, which, with labor, is easily a $500 job.. And since the lights seem to be working as well as they have over the last year, I feel something else besides inner corrosion of the sensor, as happened last time, may be causing this.

Does anybody know what else can happen to this system that will trigger these warning lights? I went under the car and examined the plastic 'dog bone' and surrounding parts that allow the sensor to move so as to establish 'level' and it looked ok on initial review. Could a calibration fault not related to sensor failure trigger the warnings? Anything else?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had my 06's apart twice to look at, no corrosion, when you say you did the repair quoted on this site, what did you do?
    Did you replace the spring or not?
    What a pain they are, a mechanical device controlling the light's and it's so flimsy....
    A scangauge2 would reset the red light's, might be a funny quirk, definitely won't pass inspection as is.

3. boostm3

boostm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last time, I just had to clean up a little rust on 2 of the springs, and contact was reestablished. I siliconed the gasket and applied dielectric grease, and sealed it up. The salient point is that then, prior to the 'fix', the headlights were aiming sharply down in front. Now, however, the headlights seem to be fine, ie, no change when the warnings came on. So, Im trying to figure out what else could trigger this fault.

BTW, regarding the scantool you mention, I have my own obd2 code reader, and the fact is, these scantools read and clear faults stored in the ECU related to engine function.. My ecu showed no codes stored. Perhaps the scangauge2 can read the CAN bus where perhaps the fault code might be stored, or, perhaps its a 'pending' code that my tool didnt pick up.. I dont know, but I dont want to get too far afield. Short of having a shop or the dealer going on a wild goose chase looking for the cause of this, replacing sensors along the way which may or may not need replacing, Im looking for possible reasons as to why the alert would trigger without the headlights shifting to their default low-aim position indicative of a sensor not able to do its job.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Auto headlight leveling system

(1) The headlight beam level control ECU receives the following:

• H-LP relay ON signal
    • Vehicle height sensor signal
    • Vehicle speed signal

(2) The headlight beam level control ECU controls the following based on the signals listed in (1).

• Leveling motor operation demand signal.
    Sent based on the vehicle height sensor
    signal and vehicle speed sensor when the H-
    LP relay ON signal is received.
    The headlight beam level control ECU
    receives vehicle speed signal and determines
    the driving condition according to the table
    below, and then starts / terminates controlling
    on the headlight leveling actuator.

Vehicle Speed Mode Control Table:

[PRE]
    Less than 0.7 km/h (0.4 mph) While stopping Controls

More than 30 km/h (19 mph) While at constant speed Controls
    or less than 180 km/h (112 mph)

More than 30 km/h (19 mph) While accelerating Does not control
    or less than 180 km/h (112 mph)

More than 180 km/h (112 mph) While at high speed Does not control

More than 0.7 km/h (0.4 mph) While at low speed Does not control
    or less than 30 km/h (19 mph)
    [/PRE]

That's what the manual says. The ECU will control the leveler based on both speed input and sensor input. Also, the sensor input can fail shorted high, shorted low, or open circuit. So I would guess that the ECU will respond in different ways depending on all these factors. I posted about putting a potentiometer on the leveler ECU, right on the plug which connects to the sensor, and having the control be manual, instead of the fallible piece under the car. I haven't done that myself but others have, and I still think it is the way to go if you are in an area with high corrosion issues.

5. boostm3

boostm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So there's an ECU dedicated to the leveling system.. I dont have a code reader for that, unfortunately; just the main engine ECU. How do you read the fault codes stored in it?

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The leveler system does not have DTC's associated with it, so it won't do more than flash an icon on the MFD if it has a problem. A Prius specific reader is needed for just about anything other than mundane engine codes, but won't be of help in this case.

7. boostm3

boostm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, do you think this problem, then, would most likely require a sensor replacement? Im just surprised the headlights seem to be behaving as they did before the dash warnings were triggered.. Maybe in time, they will go into their low aim position usually associated with a faulty sensor. If I knew it was the sensor, I could order a replacement and save about a third of the cost, on the sensor, and I could save dealer labor charges.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to get into the circuit and make some resistance and voltage checks to determine if the sensor was OK or not. A pin through the insulation of a wire allows one to check without cutting anything. The three wires coming from the sensor should be: purple at 0V (chassis or ground), Yellow at some positive voltage (not specified, could be 12V, or maybe 5V), and Blue at some point approximately half of the Yellow voltage, and varying with the back of the car being pushed down. Not sure of the sensor is powered at all times, of just when the headlights are on.