1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

high mpg with wheel covers removed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mthiker, Jun 4, 2012.

1. mthiker

mthiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have removed the 15" wheel covers from my 2012 Prius since they interfered with accessing both the lug nuts and the tire stem (what a stupid, cheap wheel cover design), and replaced them with 2.5" center caps to protect the axle threads from corrosion. Although I didn't rigorously compare mpg before and after removing the wheel covers, on a recent out-and-back trip with the new center caps installed, the Prius averaged 56.5 mpg on a hilly, 240 mile course, at a speed of 66 mph (dry road, not very windy, air temp about 75F, cruise control employed, no hypermiling techniques). I was quite pleasantly surprised at the high mpg (even better than I typically get with my 07 Prius on that same trip), and can't imagine that the mpg could be much better with the wheel covers on.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It likely wouldn't be a detectable difference in a non-lab setting. There are hundreds of posts on the subject and no one has been able to prove anything one way or the other so take em off or leave em on as you see fit. :)

3. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Math Nazi here:

By itself, an average is meaningless. Only with a standard deviation / error bars does an average illuminate an answer to a question.

4. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    weather got warmer there lately?

5. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model: