1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High pitched sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CalebH92, May 30, 2013.

1. CalebH92

CalebH92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is the noise I'm hearing in my '05, it just started last week. It's not a whine, just a high pitched tone. I thought it might be interference from cell phones or something, but it's not. I can hear while playing CD's, cassettes (to play iPos) as well as the radio. It's heard while moving and low and high speed and while stopped. Glad I'm not the only person who is hearing it though! (The attached file is from the poster who I am responding to)

Attached Files:

2. Carla Riggi

Carla Riggi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I JUST got my new 2013 Prius Two and didn't notice this sound until driving home. It's so painful and stressful that it makes me not want the car at all and I feel totally screwed. I'm prone to migraines and this feels like it could cause one easily.

Here's a description that I found on another thread from A COUPLE YEARS AGO, and it suggests that the source may be the inverter. Since he references the flyback frequency from TV sets I know he's taking about exactly what I'm hearing. I can hear this and it's not healthy for me. Not sure what to do.

"the noise comes from the inverter, which uses high frequencies for converting electrical currents. Some people are much more sensitive to high frequency sound, which may account for why some people hear it and others don't.
    At one time I could hear the flyback frequency from TV sets, and the high pitched whine from ultrasonic cleaners and some older security systems."

It's very disturbing that this issue has persisted for years without resolution. Not good.

Oh and I apparently can't include the direct link because I'm a new member, but string this together. Replace _ with / and remove spaces.

priuschat. c _ threads_ high-pitched-sound-normal . 71830

3. HeatherCoz

HeatherCoz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're not alone. I just got my 2010 P2. When I test drove it out was snowing and slushy out, the sounds must have been muffled. The next time I drove it with the windows down it was nearly unbearable. I tried turning on the radio only to discover that my antenna was missing so no radio. Hopefully I can have that repaired along with the other issue I'm having. I purposely bought a Prius to have a quiet car since engine sounds and high frequency noises bother me. Ugh.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    weird, i've never heard it in 3 pri over 14 years. i wonder if my dog whistle hearing is shot?(n)

HeatherCoz likes this.