1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

high-pressure hose to wash engine bay. Misfire possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hans_fh, Aug 24, 2010.

1. hans_fh

hans_fh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey guys,

My son used high-pressure hose to wash my 2008 Prius' engine bay 16 months ago. Several weeks after that I noticed that the ICE makes louder noise when it was stared in cold and I can hear some sort of knocking sound when I accelerate the car only when the car is in cold (it only happens in winter morning). I met the service manager at my local dealership and we were unable to duplicate the problem since the car was warm (even in winter) when I got there. He then told me that it should not be a problem since misfire happens all the time, not just in cold condition. He also mentioned the car can automatically detect misfire and will report that through Engine Check code. But the car seems to run fine and I do not feel any power loss except the occasional "knocking noise." The service manager speculated that there might be loose components under the hood that makes the noise. I had been driving the car the entire summer and the same issue only happens twice (when the car is cold). Yesterday our area turned to be vvery cold and the sound came back!

Guys, is this a misfire, or something? :rockon::rockon:

2. actros

actros New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Miss-fire
    Yes strong possibility. Very prevalent on the Gen1 when rain water ran down the front of the car and collected in the spark plug tubes causing a missfire.
    AND a severe rattle coming out of the cush drive between the engine and transmission. Enough to make you think the thing is coming apart (I believe there is a bulletin on this????)

Sufficient cause to remove the plug wires and check--well at least blow out the cavities with compressed air to eliminate the moisture or allow junk to drop in the cylinder if you remove them.
    Actros

3. hans_fh

hans_fh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should misfire sound happen in all conditions no matter whether it's cold or warm?

4. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think its anything to do with your son washing then engine comparment. In the old days with distributors, points and unshrouded spark plugs, it was possible to get a brief short and misfire somewhere in the system, but highly unlikely with today's electronics. And a misfire would trigger a code in the computer. No code - no misfire.

1 person likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I listened to your recording and would not call that a misfire. If you want to hear what a misfire sounds like, disconnect the wiring harness connector to a fuel injector or a spark igniter while the engine is running. A Prius engine running on three cylinders is not a pretty sight nor does it make pleasant sounds.

When the Prius is first started after resting overnight, the valve timing is retarded for a brief period to encourage catalytic converter warmup. When the valve timing changes to a normal setting, that will cause the change in engine sound that you observed. If the car performs normally then I would say that you should not worry.

However, I would discourage your son from using high pressure water in the engine compartment in the future, especially on the engine valve cover. It is quite possible for water to enter the spark plug wells, as was previously commented.

A TSB was issued for 2G models because water would tend to drip onto the engine from the center seam of the cowl that runs across the back of the engine compartment. This water can get past the rubber O-ring seals on the igniters, enter the spark plug wells, and cause ignition misfire.

1 person likes this.
  6. hans_fh

hans_fh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! Very thoughtful answer. Thanks man!

7. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just reading in Popular Mechanics automotive section that hosing out the engine bay with a pressure washer (or a high pressure hose I suppose) is a bad idea. It can force water under gaskets and seals where it has no business going and can do bad things.

1 person likes this.
  8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would recommend to use a garden hose with a spray nozzle instead of a high pressure water washer, which may nick or cut the wiring insulation.

1 person likes this.
  9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Why wash at the first place? To promote rust? :confused: Wouldn't wiping with a towel sufficient?

10. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all,

Just a brief comment here by someone who is not a mechanic. A while back on our 2000 Dodge Caravan (which has since been replaced) we had some very low power issues with its 4 cylinder engine (causing us to use the truck climbing lane on some of the hills on the interstate). We took it to our local mechanic who read a misfire code on his scanner on one of the cylinders. He checked that cylinder & found a small crack in the spark plug's insulator [plugs not too old either (probably 2 yrs or less)]. Apparently it had been arcing/shorting current to the metal of the spark plug well [although there were burns on its plug wire tip too (only about a year old on these)]. So just a new set of plugs & plug wires was all that was needed to restore full power to the Caravan. The individual coils that sit atop each spark plug were fine (thank goodness, as these can be quite expensive as many of you may already know). Nothing had been done under the hood prior to the power loss situation that might have caused the cracked spark plug insulator (& no driving through big, deep puddles or in heavy rain either---so not sure why the insulator cracked).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

11. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bear in mind that any water that gets anywhere it shouldn't in or on the engine will evaporate in a matter of minutes when the engine warms up. So, while it could cause a brief problem, it shouldn't cause anything prolonged or permanent. I think your problem lies elsewhere.