1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Civic Hybrid — Shocking Battery Failure Rates

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Aleckin, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honda cylindrical batteries are definitely a different animal than the Toyota prismatic cells.
    And when it comes to Hondas, the Gen2 Civics have 10% more cells than the Gen1 Civics or Gen 1 Insights.

If the Honda battery packs are regularly grid charged, it certainly extends the pack's useful life. So maybe not all of these Gen2 Civic packs needed to be completely replaced. I have customers that choose to add in a battery grid charger when replacing their packs so that they can do their own preventive/maintenance charging a when their pack becomes more aged.

The new aftermarket cells for Hondas have show some good durability. But the replacement packs from Honda have sometimes been with used/refurbished. The used Honda packs definitely do not fare as well as used Prius packs. I have seen the Honda OEM ones die prematurely.

Whenever I do Honda replacement packs I only do it with non-oem cells; ones that I know are brand new. Not some new-old stock that's been sitting on the shelf. I got out of doing used Honda packs a while ago since they never fared well.

cycledrum and usnavystgc like this.
  2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No need for the snark.

I already acknowledge that VW is a junk company..... they are ranked in the bottom ten when it comes to engine reliability. I'll never buy another one of the their cars.

Vice-Versa Toyota is ranked # 3 engine reliability (Honda is #1)..... nevertheless that does not excuse Toyota's poor customer service. Telling approximately 1 million customers with a sludged engine at only ~25,000 miles: "It's your fault/warranty voided" even when the customer has dealer records of regular oil changes.....

Well that too is a junk company.

No matter how good a product is, when failures occur, the company should honor the advertised warranty (not place the blame on innocent customers). If Toyota did not have the Prius, I would add them to the same boycott list ad Microsoft, Foxconn, Volkswagen, Sony, gene-modified food companies, and so on.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Except there were not a million sludged engines -- there were about 3,000.

The majority of those 3,000 were owners who did not keep manufacturer recommended oil change intervals. All told, it seems fair to conclude that a handful of Toyota owners were treated poorly.

Snark seems warranted when you inflate a handful to a million.

4. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The class-action lawsuit covered 10 million people (one million of which had dead engines). And it amazes me that you defend a company who said, "Yes we see the dealer changed your oil ever 7000 miles, but it's still your fault. Warranty voided." - I've read literally thousand of these identical scenarios from unhappy people (getting shafted with a $7000 engine replacement bill).

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You do not know what you are talking about.

What's new, right ?

6. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I wonder what it's like to be in love with a soulless nonhuman entity (aka corporation), you be blind to its flaws & think it's near-perfect?

BACK TO TOPIC: It's easy to kill a Honda battery:
    - In the manual cars you can stay in 5th gear while climbing a hill, and empty the battery in about 1 minute.

- In the CVT cars the transmission does not go above 2800 rpm, because its trying to save fuel. When climbing a hill the user can empty the battery in about 2 minutes.

- In contrast the Prius deactivates the battery before its completely empty on the SOC meter (in order to protect it) and then spins the engine faster to compensate.

7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm thinking I may never buy another Honda hybrid (instead choosing the highest MPG nonhybrid)

8. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would like to in the future. when non hybrid or non EV can reach 50-60 mpg on my current driving :D...
    mix city and Highways. mostly on Highways with 60-70MPH driving.

mostly I sells the car when almost broken aka many parts needs to be replace or fixes.

9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The Ford Fiesta I rented got over 60 mpg on the interstate. I expect the new 1.0 engine would do even better. (Plus its 14,000 price tag was much better than the 19,000 tag on the insight or C.)

10. That's amazing... 60 mpg and it's not even a hybrid.

What almost sold me on a C-Max (made by Ford) was the interior design and the start-up sound.

But when I saw its terrible fuel economy, I lost ambition. Plus I don't do much interstate travel.

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Were you going 45 on the interstate again?

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    pfft.

I get 100+ repeatedly. The scanGauge shows 250 to 300 mpg.

13. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I doubt that.

Yeah I drive all my cars slow..... learned it from Wayne Gerdes (minus the forced autostop stuff; too dangerous). The legal speed on the interstate sign is 40-65 so I'm not breaking any laws as long as I am in that range. That's also how I got 120 miles out of a Leaf EV.

The only car I drive fast is insight # 2 because I decided it was more fun to drive it like a CRX instead of an econocar. ;)

14. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ahha, you are kidding me. I would average a full tank of gasoline is 60mpg . I doubtly Fiesta could achieve that :D.
    not just rented for a day or two and drove on highways/interstate.

this is an example. Prius 3rd, I can drive 60-64 mpg for 30miles with mix local/highways driving, where mostly flat road on highways . and roomy than C or Fiesta.

were you driving with mix local and Highways? If you can achieve 60mpg on Fiesta, I would buy.
    please explain your driving, not just partial only

I did achieve 32mpg on 1996 Hyundai Accent, with mix driving local and Highways.
    if only flat interstate... oh boy, the car can glide smoothly.. and got really better mpg

the samething when I drive my wife Sienna 2011, 30mpg is not hard on non crowded interstate/highways :p.. once I do local driving, oops back to 19mpg-21 mpg :(.

please give a real numbers, not just partially

15. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what!! that a damn slow:D
    average on my local Highways/Interstate on my driving commute is 70mph. once I drive below than 60mph, expects to get so many honks and cursing :p. I maintian on 62-70mph, but mostly on 65mph.
    Even my local driving, I drives average on 50mph. this is the slowest that I do not upset many people behind the wheel.

16. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ahahha, I got 80mpg on 10 miles trip with 40-45 mph- average on quite local roads near my office :D/
    warming up the engine was killing mpg hahahah.

17. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The Prius, Civic hybrid, and Insight G2 gave me 70, 70, and 73 at 45 miles/hour.

The insight G2 gave me 81 at 40 miles/hour.

You want high MPG you need to do slow speeds, because air resistance increases. Basic physics.

18. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sure, I can Achieve 80mpg running 40-45mph, please read my previous post

but driving 45mph is not safe for daily commute :p.
    I can achieve 80mpg with prius without much effort with flat terrain and not crowded roads.

the same situation on Volt, this car can achieve very good mpg when driving 40-45 mph,:D

basic physics : make reasonable facts in our life. average mph driving on big road and Highways/interstates is not 40-45mph. Unless you are in congested roads.

I am out:D, since you are driving very slow that very dangerous on (my)average daily commute within city limits :p

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius can accelerate to 46 mph and engine off glide and achieve 100+ MPG.

20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well the speed signs clearly designate 40 to 65 for the legal range. I am within that range & if other drivers rearend me then THEY are the ones who were driving dangerously (and face punishment in a court of law).

And yeah I've found the Prius and Civic hybrid about equal in terms of MPG at 45. The three-cylinder insight is about 10 higher (due to its very low drag and tiny 1.0 engine).

21. ydooby

ydooby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP's images are inaccessible now. Does anyone still have backups (with the Honda stats included)? Much appreciated.