1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn Upgrade Complete...A Few Details

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by TruSound, Feb 18, 2012.

1. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As you all know, the factory horns just don't get it done when you need to wake someone up.

I purchased a pair of the Fiamm Freeway Blaster units, 20 bucks each at Pep Boys, one high pitch and one low...you can probably get them cheaper thru Amazon or any number of online retailers.

Installation was as easy as it gets, you'll need a small flat blade screwdriver to lift the center post on the 3 plugs that hold the plastic cowling in place, gently lift the locking center post on all 3 then lift the outer section, the cowling comes right off...a fingernail will work as well to lift that center post.

You'll have tons of room once the cowl is out of the way. First disconnect the wire by pinching on the release side and pull it right off.

With a 10mm wrench remove the nut and remove the horn.

The new horn comes with a bracket, you don't need to use it, the stock mount works fine.

Follow the provided instructions for a single wire installation and you'll be done in no time.

Your v will now have a big boy horn, and one thing I didn't think of until I parked the car...when you hit the fob lock button it now makes a nice loud confirmation honk, handy if you misplace your car in a big lot, and the alarm will definitely attract some attention.

1 person likes this.
  2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Installation was as easy as it gets, you'll need a small flat blade screwdriver to lift the center post on the 3 plugs that hold the plastic cowling in place, gently lift the locking center post on all 3 then lift the outer section, the cowling comes right off...a fingernail will work as well to lift that center post.

You'll have tons of room once the cowl is out of the way. First disconnect the wire by pinching on the release side and pull it right off.

Our v-5 hasn't arrived as yet but noticed the OE horn was somewhat anemic; what
    cowling are you referring to..??......one infront of the windshield..??? or some other place.....I'm saving your instructions .....THANKS

1 person likes this.
  3. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's the cowling just in front of the radiator, it's about 2.5' long and about 4-5" wide, there's a hole in the middle that runs right across the hood latch, you can see the stock horns thru the front grill.