1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn Upgrade --- DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by evpv, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ugh, have you ever heard about the fact that silicone spray does not conduct electricity very well ? :eek:hwell: Putting it on the contacts before you connect them is not exactly the best idea.:loco:

2. Bullydog

Bullydog Meus Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the great write up and the information about which horn to use and where to get them. I have only had my Prius for a month, and I had no idea the horn was so pathetic (I just tried it out and my daughters won't stop laughing at me!). I will order the parts today and do the upgrade right away. Thanks!

3. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is the reason I took the extra few minutes and completely removed the front end.

4. Wowzer

Wowzer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting that everyone is removing the screw. I found the screw to be too tight to remove. I took a 14 mm socket and removed the mounting bracket from the car. I used the FIAAM mounting bracket and pre-screwed in the ground wire and horn to it (which is much easier to do).

I think it's easier than the original post method, and you can really lock things tight.

FranklinS likes this.
  5. Wowzer

Wowzer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BTW- The 14 hex nut is just above the metal mounting bracket that you can see here:

[​IMG]

Just make sure that you remove the two 12mm bolts and plastic clips holding the top of the bumper (easy to do). When you pull back the top of the bumper, you can easily see the 14mm screws holding the mounting bracket in place. Keep this screw, as you'll be using it again to reinstall. BTW the FIAAM horn bracket has a smaller hole and a bigger hole. Use the smaller hole to hold the horn...the larger hole is to mount onto the car with the 14mm screw.

6. Wowzer

Wowzer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BTW- this should be a sticky...or a new sub-forum should be created to list all of the DIY howto's...thanks for the tutorial...it worked great. Plug and play.

7. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I second that emotion!

Thanks evpv for the great tutorial - now my horn sounds normal as opposed to a lamb! Less stressful and safer that way.

8. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad to hear my horn DIY is helpful. Small hands and arms are beneficial, but once you get the grill emblem removed you will have access to everything. I usually wear some thin gloves for this kind of installation, the kind that are made of thin nylon with a rubberized coating on the fingers and palm.

[​IMG]

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, glad to see your still around!

10. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some jackass cut right in front of me instead of yielding to me going straight.

Blew the horn and quickly realized that the horn is meek.

So will be upgrading to this one shortly. :D

11. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep.... I found that the stock horn added to my frustration level.

All normal after the upgrade.

12. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yep. That was the last straw that made my wife insist on me changing the horn.

13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Installed some today for a local forum member, 15 minutes from start to finish!

14. tsktsk

tsktsk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And that member thanks you! Nice upgrade, would definitely recommend it! :rockon:

15. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just finished installing the horn set (purchased on amazon). Had to make a run to Harbor Freight to pick up the 10mm and 14mm wrench.
    I should say that loosening up the front bumper made the job really easy. It only took 5 minutes (2 screws and 5 plastic fasteners) but it really eased up the job by creating plenty of room.
    excellent upgrade and turned out to be real easy once the front bumper was loosened.

16. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got my set at HF, on sale and Chrome to boot. Couple of pieces of wire and some terminals and my Prius speaks with authority.:cool:

Attached Files:

17. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It must be nice to
    I pretty much have to mail order everything.

Alan

18. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks evpv! :cheer2:

I did your mod! Thanks for the photos, it really helped! :mod:

I got tired of the meep-meep "please don't kill me" horn. :eek:
    Now it's: BUPP-BUPP - "HEY WATCH IT!" :mad:

I have skinny wrists so the install went like yours without removing the front. The fewer things I have to remove, the less likely things will start vibrating and rattling. I just went through the emblem. BTW that gives me an idea to replace the front emblem with one of those light up emblems... maybe later. I ordered the shark fin antenna, so I'll see how that goes too. I think it looks better than the wire sticking up. :focus:

Any hoo... I switched the horns out, but had not used them in traffic yet. Someone was asking about the horn ground so I scanned the package instructions FYI. Got them from Amazon and they arrived real fast! Had them installed in less than 30 min.

[​IMG]

Based on the instructions as compared to photo # 8 on original post, it looks like the GND should be on the other tab. Maybe it does not matter.

I think the OEM horns look like buzzers more than 'horns'. There is no air flow, just loud vibrations. Topic for debate? Anyone, anyone? Who cares... :boxing:

[​IMG]

NOTES: :whoo:
    • The 14mm nut or #2 Phillips screwdriver removes the old horn.
    • I did not have to splice or lengthen any wires.
    • I used original horn mount bracket but had to bend one slightly to fit.
    • Keep a magnet handy in case you drop a screw or bit.

Is it me or has PC been acting strange lately, connection reset errors, etc.?

:peace: out!

1 person likes this.
  19. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prius chat has been running bad...very slow

20. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Installed a pair of the Fiamm Blasters today on my 2012 v wagon, tons of room after removing the cowling, no emblem removal necessary, also used the stock mounts, start to finish about 15 minutes.

One nice bonus feature, when you lock the car with the fob you get a really nice confirmation blast, and your alarm will definitely attract some attention.

Really nice having a big boy horn...can ya hear me now, oh yeah.