1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about 60 LED DRL and Turn Signal in one bulb!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by KK6PD, Aug 22, 2010.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The wire that I tapped into was for some accessory that my '08 v5 does not have. If it did there would have been the other half of the fuse holder in place, there was not however. Which in retrospect I have wanted to find the lugs Toyota uses to complete the fuse holder. I could then put the fuse for the LEDs in the socket where it belongs, not externally connected inline. Actually there were 4 in a row on that block that have power good for other accessories you may want to add on at a later date! I run the White LEDs off of that voltage which is enabled when the car is in run mode! The bulbs have common ground, which makes life real easy, so no interference with the Amber turn signal side of the bulb. Yes all the dash signal work fine, as indicated you do have to upgrade the Turn Signal Flasher, but that info is also in OP.
    I also added a module that with just a quick flick of the turn signal handle it will flash the turn signals 7 time, then shut off! Sequential Turn Signals, One Touch Turn Signals, Challenger Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Mustang, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, Raxiom, Amrerican Muscle, Stack Racing, One Touch, Blink Blink, Corvett
    OTS-1T One-Touch Turn Signal Module.

You can program the turn signal how many times it will flash!
    That works out very nicely, Web electric makes great electric add ons for many types of autos, it's worth a look see.

1 person likes this.
  2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice, I'm gonna have to look into the OTS. Thx.

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I have a 04 and 07 Prius . Have you gone all LED excluding headlights? Also when I installed rear license tag LED they illuminated with no key and vehicle turn off. So do I troubleshoot for ground short?

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I have bought mine from here..
    www.autolumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs

I really like the 60 LED white I bought . They really illuminate what's behind you.
    The OEM bulb is on the left, and the LED is the right one. Quite a difference!
    The license plate bulbs threw light all over the place. With frugal application of Black tape I scrimmed the light so it only falls on the plate. Looks much nicer!
    [​IMG]

The plate stands out, not the areas surrounding area!

5. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of thoughts
    First off the orig mod (the basis of this thread) was a success.
    Next changing the interior of vehicle to LED is a child's play!!!
    The exterior LED are more detailed and flasher switch LED do create a challenge. I attempted with straight LED fitment on signal LED and LED relay swap out with no success and got failure. Additional failure on my rear license tag LED with LED in ON non stop which may be caused by a bad socket or ground and therefore will need to troubleshoot both signal and tag
    FYI super bright LED has been cooperative on exchange and returns, however they only sell product and do not handle incorrect product choice, application issues, and 12v electrical trouble shooting. So I am not sure why some posters seem to want to slam auto illmuniation? or LED mods

1 person likes this.
  6. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    KK6PD, How in the world did you deduce that (1) there were wires connected to block B, and (2) that some of those wires were 12v source?

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was a child I had the curiosity to take everything apart, Wall Sockets, Light Switches, things screwed together suddenly became unscrewed, hey, THEY gave me a tool set for Christmas. After I took dads drill apart, as he beat the crap out of me, he mentioned, if you are going to take it apart, at least put it back together, WORKING!
    That lesson being painfully learned, aided me to become the Systems Maintenance Engineer that I am today.

As to how I figured out that slot B had power, there are 4 dummy plugs in the block, I pulled one up to discover a tab on the supply side, and a empty hole on the opposite side forming a slot the tiny fuses the Prius uses. There was a clip at the top and bottom of the block, so I pushed the tabs in their proper release position and lifted, TADA, power for fuses that are not installed, Voltmeter, power when car is on, off when off, PERFECT.
    Sullivans Law states "It went together, it has to come apart!"
    So simply put, I took it apart! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it was a stroke of genius, and a very convenient power source for the rest of us!

I followed your instructions and pulled out block B, never giving those plugs a second thought - they looked like an integral part of the block. With the block out, my first thought was - What are all those other wires for? :confused:

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  9. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a video of the DRL/turn signals during day time? Would like to see it on video.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I will have to add Cinematographer to my Job Skills! No, not yet. I just have had a Major lower back rebuild, but PM me a request so I can print it out so as NOT TO FORGET and do one in a week or so when I am up and more mobile. It is a good idea! If I remember it will be done!

11. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    From OP:

KK6PD, did you ever mod the mod so that the DRLs turn off with the HIDs on?

12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Timing is everything, one of the projects I am working on while I am on Medical Leave is the relay install for that very purpose. I am also adding my HID Bulbs and power supplies in the fog lights. As I make the mods I take pics, so there will be an update to this thread, or I will start a new one! Either way, it's a work in progress.
    Thanks for the interest!

13. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    KK6PD,

Referring back to your OP, you mention that you have no incandescent lamps in your car. What are you using for headlights?

Thanks.

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HID! I need bright light at night. I seem to have inherited what my mom used to refer to as "Night Blindness"
    So far no bulb or ECU module problems, yet. I am ready for them if they appear!
    No LED burnouts either. All the LED bulbs illuminate just fine!

15. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah! I see. (Though I have partial color-blindness.) HID is not incandescent. Threw me a curve there.

Thanks again!

16. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey
    Do you have suggestion to help me out. I have gotten LED flasher relay and LED lamps but when installed I get nothing!!
    I did not go with with daylight run i just went plain flashers what should I check or do?? my relay looks like your LED image relay.

17. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well....
    1 - Where did you get your bulbs, and what are the numbers?
    2 - did you push the flasher module all the way into the socket? On mine,there was a plastic tab that prevented the relay from seating in the socket properly. I pulled the tab off and trimmed the stubs away with a pair of side cutters.
    3 - Did you try rotating the bulb 180°, sounds strange, but some LED bulbs have Polarity, if it does not work in one direction, the other way might work fine.

Let me know what you find out. Your situation is a simple swap of bulb and flasher. Double check that flasher module. Make sure its inserted all the way into its socket. I think the problem lies there!

18. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I will try your suggestion. Some of the LED are from Autoillumination and some super bright. Do the front LED style have to be same as back LED style??

19. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks
    I trimmed relay "latch" and that did the "trick"

One last question
    Do you know if you have a Gen2 without foglights if the oem wire harness "still" has leads for "foglights"

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good! I had she same initial thing happen when I was doing mine, it's why it came to mind so quickly! Maybe to your second question, you might have to pull the bumper, it is not hard, and take a look around! When your in there, if you do not find what you need, run some wires up to the fusebox for power!

One of the users, NoMoShocks, posted this dissemble post I will reprint here...
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.