1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about blind spot monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cproaudio, Apr 16, 2011.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The reverse camera used on the Prius has a very wide angle lens. If there's a car in your blind spot, when it's activated, it will show a portion of that car. The idea is to use turn signal to activate the rear camera to show blind spots while changing lanes.

Killing 2 birds with 1 stone. In addition to use the rear camera as blind spot monitor, I've also added the "http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...enable-rear-camera-display-while-driving.html" function.
    The switch I used is a 3 position ON-OFF-ON DPDT rocker switch.
    ON - [Blind spot monitor Active] activates rear camera when left or right turn signal is activated. Activating hazard lights will not activate rear camera. When neither turn signals are activated, the reverse will activate the rear camera. Intelligent Parking Assist functions as usual as long as you're in Reverse.
    Off- [Blind spot monitor Off] Operates like normal. Only Reverse will activate the rear camera. IPA functions as usual.
    ON- [Enable rear camera while driving] Displays rear camera while driving forward. This reeks havoc on GPS map because it moves backwards. Turn off will resume correct GPS location in a few seconds.

Now on to the wiring.
    You'll need 2x 3.3k mf caps 15v or higher, 3x SPDT relays, a 3 position DPDT rocker switch.
    locate the turn signal wires at either front or rear turn signals or in the kickpanel http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...bo-lights-signal-parking-courtesy-lights.html convert pulse to steady using this diagram Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams for both left and right. In addition to that diagram, ground 87a for both. The left and right turn signal now rest at ground. When either side is on, it will create a + and -. This is needed to activate the relay to activate the rear camera.
    Connect both steady outputs of the left and right to the top terminals of the 3 position rocker switch. The bottom terminals goes to power and ground. The middle terminals goes to the 3rd relay's 85 and 86 terminal. The 3rd relay's 87 goes to +12v (this activates the rear camera) 30 goes to the radio side of the reverse signal wire. 87a goes to the car side of the reverse signal wire. The reverse signal wire is the pink wire on pin 5 of the gray plug behind the nav screen.
    Enjoy and have fun. Questions and comments are welcome.

corystal, Dylan Doxey, Yakoma and 7 others like this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You could always just continue to look over your shoulder when changing lanes?

3. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Of course that's the still safest thing to do. I'm a creative installer so I like to do stuff that others haven't thought of..

thekenstar likes this.
  4. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've noticed that the blind spot on the Prius is large. I've had a couple of incidents where I unknowingly cut someone off, even though I thought I had checked the blind spot. Now I do a super mega paranoid check before changing lanes.

It would be great to have three cameras; one for each blind spot and one for rear view. My Prius has zero cameras right now, so it seems like a reasonable thing to consider if I decide to add an aftermarket camera.

I guess I would have to add some form of video switch to select which camera signal to feed to the monitor, based on turn signals or reverse lights.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not bad but it doesn't quite cover the rear fender area that would be out of the camera's view but if the vehicle is long enough, hopefully you can see the tailend of it. I'm pretty happy with my mirror set up (it's pointing quite a bit aways from the body). It's taken me a while to get used to it.

I'm still waiting for someone to add a thermal imaging camera for night driving. When it's raining and the road's wet, it can be hard to see people, even with street lighting because the road absorbs all the light. I've seen someone add the FliR camera but no DIY instructions and whether he used a separate screen or the stock nav screen.

6. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    traditionally, the passenger blind spot is easier to see but the driver side is harder. luckily for the NA the camera is on the left side of the license plate. I got a chance to really try it out today. it shows 3/4 of the vehicle in the driver blind spot and half of the vehicle on the passenger side. overall I love this mod. it only took an hour to do using parts laying around my garage. I have a bad habbit of not using the turn signal for anything. With this mod, i use the turn signal every chance i get.

TsKarma, Tideland Prius and Creaky like this.
  7. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can use 1 DPDT relays for each camera and the turn signal will automatically switch on the correct camera. I already prewired mine to do this. Since I didnt use aftermarket cameras, I had both activating the rear camera instead.

My original plan was to install 5 cameras; 1 in the front to show what's immediately in front of the car. This gets activated when the vehicle speed drops below 10mph. 1 in each of the front corner to monitor front cross traffic and blind spots. This is possible with 120 degree wide angle lens. They are activated by the turn signal. 1 in each of the rear corner to monitor rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking spot. Rear corner cameras are activated by reverse gear and activating the corresponding turn signal. When no signal is activated, only the rear camera works and IPA also works.
    Due to me being lazy and lack of funding and time, I took the shortcut.

I had the caps, relays and the switch from previous projects so this was done at no cost to me. However, I did spend $20 on those components on the previous project a couple of years ago. The rear camera takes about a second to switch on after activating the turn signal. It takes about 2 seconds for the camera to turn off after deactivating the turn signal. This is about as close as you can get to a blind spot monitor without spending large amount of money. In fact, I'm not sure if there is such a thing available aftermarket besides custom build it out of reverse cameras.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Car Talk | How to Avoid the Blind Spot - I had to do this when I got my 350Z since it has huge blind spots and not great rear visibility. I now do this on all my cars and am totally used to it.

WilDavis likes this.
  9. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^ Yup I do that as well. In addition, I have a 300mm Convex broadway mirror haha.

One thing I do miss from my old car are my convex driver and passenger side mirrors. APR had a small batch of them made. I think s2ks have them as well. Though I believe the UK driver mirror is convex so if you could get that, it would have a better view into your blind spots in addition to your rear view camera mod

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And long may you continue to do so. It's a good thing to have people think outside the box. The Prius wouldn't be here if they didn't.

11. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had another thought. I could install three cameras and three monitors side by side, running full-time. This could give a fantastic view of the world behind and to the sides of the car, especially if you line up the cameras so they overlap just slightly.

Where to put the monitors? Not sure. I was thinking if they're small enough they could go above the rear view mirror, or replace it entirely. Another spot could be just above the radio.

One thing that worries me is routing cables. If it requires pulling panels and drilling holes, that might be more than I'm willing to do. Theres also side airbags to worry about, and the potential of daytime heat melting things.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Cproaudio,

Nice mod! Could you do a schematic sketch and scan it in?

Why do you need two relays for de-pulsing? Why not just use a second input diode (one from each signaling pulsing source?).

Also, why does the hazard lights not trigger the rear view camera? The signaling wires should be pulsing, which should trigger the camera ?

13. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As for myself, I'm adding two of fresnel lenses on the back window (the lower vertical section). I ordered online, so I cant give you results right away. I figure this could be a cheap and easy solution, at least for backing up. Not sure it would be practical for seeing the blind spots.

14. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suck at graphics but I'll do my best but it'll have to be in a day or 2. I'm taking a 250 mile trip today. It'll be the first time I can truly test it out.

My initial test shows that you don't need a steady signal to trigger the camera. A pulse signal would also trigger the camera. However, the relay clicking on and off would drive me crazy. Also with pulse signal, it could confuse the nav screen and possibly lock it up. I doubt it though. Using a diode from each side of the signal will not disable hazard light triggering the camera. So, if you want hazard lights to trigger the camera, you can use diodes from both sides of the turn signal and feed both pulse signals to 1 cap/relay.

The reason why hazard lights on my setup don't trigger camera is because when both signals are flashing, the pulse to steady will convert both sides to +. The 3rd relay's coil terminals will both get + and won't trigger the coil. Remember my instruction "convert pulse to steady using this diagram Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams for both left and right. In addition to that diagram, ground 87a for both." The 3rd relay's coil terminals are resting at ground. When 1 signal is activated, it turns 1 side + and triggers the 3rd relay. when both sides are activated like the hazard lights, the relay's coil is resting at +12v and won't trigger the coil. I know I'm keep repeating myself but I'm trying to explain it the best I can.

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, Very Nicely Done!!!

Did you consider adding 2 extra cameras L / R and switch the input to MFD video between the camersa! This way when left turn is activated the left camera displays in the screen. It would be the next logical extension of what you have done!

+1

16. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes I have, read post #7

17. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    these convex mirrors cover the blind spots perfectly

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  18. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

What about connecting it to the brake lights that would cure the extra need to avoid pulsing current. I'm not an electrician and I don't play one on TV, so although I'm comfortable with AC I've always been a bit afraid of munging things up with DC.
    I've also thought about mounting a digital camera with a recorded rangefinder for tailgaters, wudayathink?

19. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What you are trying to accomplish? activating the camera when you hit the brakes? I'm the opposite. I love working with 12v DC and hate 110v AC. I just don't like getting shocked. With DC, you don't get shock. The only thing you'll fry when hooked up wrong is the component.

20. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The first thing I do when I get a new vehicle is to go to Walmart and for $1.50 each buy the little convex mirrors that you can stick to your rear view mirrors and put them on the lower outside corner of my rvm's. I am sure that over the years they have saved an accident or my life at least once.

Tipjar likes this.