1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I bleed air from inverter coolant on 2010 Prius Gen III?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by manza, Aug 31, 2014.

1. manza

manza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I mistakenly drained the coolant from the inverter. I have Toyota Long Life antifreeze and distilled water to add to inverter coolant overflow reservoir. How do I bleed air from the inverter coolant system? Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can't help much, but do check: it could be that antifreeze is premixed, no need to add water? I believe there are two kinds, one pre-mixed, one not.

It could be you pretty much need Techstream software (what the dealership uses). Again, I'm out of my depth, but if there's a nearby dealership, might be one to hand over to them. Just come clean as to what you've done, I'm sure they've heard them all. ;)

3. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First of all, make sure you have Toyota Super Long Life (SLLC) coolant. If you are in the U.S. that would be part number 00272-SLLC2. It will be a black bottle with a yellow cap. This coolant is pre-mixed, so you must not add water.
    To bleed the inverter cooling system without using Techstream, it is best to have an assistant to help you.
    Fill the inverter coolant reservoir nearly full, wait a few minutes for bubbles to escape and top off until the coolant level is fairly stable. Turn on the vehicle to Ready mode, and immediately start adding coolant as level will drop quickly. This is where having an assistant helps. After several minutes, the coolant level should become stable. Install the reservoir cap. Recheck the coolant level after a short drive, and top off as needed. It may take a day or so for all the air to be bled out, so quickly check the level before driving.

#3 PriusInParadise, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    TeePeeB and The Critic like this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    1. SLLC
    2. Close the drain
    3. Fill the reservoir ... ... top off as needed
    4. Connect plastic tube from bleed valve into reservoir -- << this is the magic that makes it easy and clean.
    5. Ig-on -- turns on the inverter coolant pump
    6. Top off the reservoir as needed while enjoying your favorite beverage.
    7. Find Patrick Wong's DIY tutorial here on PriusChat. It will show you where the bleed valve is located

#4 SageBrush, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen III liftback & v (wagon) no longer have the bleed valve. Bleeding the inverter cooling system has been made simpler.

SageBrush likes this.
  6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You need this Lisle radiator funnel.

It will allow you to completely submerge the radiator overfill bottle and cooling system. Running the engine will allow the air bubbles to work to the top of the surface of the coolant and out, leaving all fluid.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear that bleed valve is gone. It really worked well.

For OP: Diluted LLC != SLLC

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The LISLE funnel helps tremendously for the engine coolant circuit, but the reservoir in the inverter coolant circuit does the same job so long as one does not let it drain to empty.

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PriusinParadise is spot on. The Gen III inverter loop bleeds very easily. Cycling it on/off a couple times will get the majority of the air out. Be sure to leave it running in ready mode for a while before driving to ensure that things are working properly.

If you have a AirLift II (just got one), it does wonders for filling our cooling systems.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tempting idea, but Hobbit refuses to use these negative pressure systems out of concern that parts will collapse. Needless to say, I trust the Hobbit.

11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is an OEM approved method. Maybe not by Toyota, but I can assure you that many shops including Luscious uses it. For instance, Nissan requires that you use the Airlift to fill their cooling systems on certain models.

Also, while it is true that it can expose leaks in older systems, id rather find out about a leak in my service bay than on the road.

12. Prius_Boriqua

Prius_Boriqua Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did the Inverter flush yesterday. Once you replace the drain pluf fill up the inverter reserve with Toyota Super Long Life Coolant to the fill line. Turn your car on READY and count 2 seconds and turn off. Add coolant again untill you reach the full line. Repeat the process again.
    Turn your car on READY and count 2 seconds and turn off. Repeat this proces untill the coolant level doesnt drop anymore. Its really easy.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does the engine need to be running? Or just the car in Ready?

(This is pretty much what the Repair Manual is saying, for "without techstream" method, I'm just not clear on it.)

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is that a contradiction ?

15. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I said it was an OEM approved method, but not a Toyota approved method. I was referencing that it is a practice accepted by numerous automakers, so it's not some hack method that the aftermarket has made up (like reverse injection bleeding).

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I see.

Somehow, knowing that e.g. GM or Nissan approves the method does not make me want to use it on my Prius ;)
    OTOH, LG is a great recommendation.

I'm much happier with an annual schedule of partial exchanges; although truth be told, NO manufacturer lists that method (and of course never will, if only because the approach is only suitable for DIY'ers.)

17. Prius_Boriqua

Prius_Boriqua Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ready. You dont have to wait for the engine to turn on. Since your only working on the inverter your dont have to wait for the engine to kick on. The inverter starts cycling as soon as you put the car in Ready (ready means foot on the brake and hit start).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Food for thought using the mentioned Air Lift II: it's selling for $87 on Amazon, and you would need a source of compressed air as well. Not sure how strong, but guessing a regular shop compressor.

My Canadian schedule says to replace fluid (both circuits) at 10 years or 160,000 kms, thereafter every 5 years or 80,000 kms. That's not one I'd be inclined to accelerate much, and it's a long ways off for me, likely time would govern if we still had the car. And I'm thinking by the time I get around to it the dealership would (hopefully) be well versed in dealing with it; I'd likely just bring it in, let them deal with it.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  19. manza

manza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

20. manza

manza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I'll hang in there for a bit more.