1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much is aftermarket navigation & bluetooth package ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kennyyuui, Jun 25, 2010.

1. kennyyuui

kennyyuui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello

I'm currently deciding whether to get the Prius II or III. At the current moment, I'm more leaning toward the II package because spending $3000 extra for package III with navigation & bluetooth option is too much imo.

Can anyone here please give me some advices regarding the price of aftermarket/3rd party navigation system ?

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why not get III withOUT the NAVI? That way, you get the excellent JBL system WITH bluetooth. THEN, go out and buy a Garmin NUVI for under $300. Best solution to your problem IMO.

3. kennyyuui

kennyyuui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You mean those portable one ? I already have one already, sorry for not being clear, but I meant the DVD base Navigation unit that you install right into your car, that is the one that I want.

And spending $1300 is still a bit pricey, I'm actually looking in the range of $500 - $600

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can get a decent aftermarket with very good nav for less than $500. You really don't get your money's worth on JBL {IMHO} - read past upgrade posts for an idea... The $1K on JBL could get you the same leather that the dealer installs...

For $1.8K you could have a great nav, Bluetooth, and leather interior...

5. kennyyuui

kennyyuui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, went to Best Buy today and saw a KENWOOD DNX6160. The sale guy say that the total cost would be $1200 to install it into my car. Should I go for it ??

6. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In a word, the Prius Nav and bluetooth SUCK. Check out Toyota Bluetooth Phone and you will see that there are very few compatible phones. Even those that are compatible have a 5 second delay in being able to be heard by the calling party. The address data base shows addresses that don't exist, does not show valid addresses, and is off by as much as quarter mile. I have been very unhappy with both, and if I could do it over I would buy the car without either and get a decent HU. You will also find that although the JBL has good sound, the FM and SAT have very poor sensitivity and a cheap portable radio will get better reception.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I installed myself and total cost was like $900 (HU plus harness and steering interface) for my DNX6960. See my signature for the thread. I posted $750 deal for DNX6960 with iPod cable.

I see DNX6160 going for $675 on Amazon. They are charging you $525 for harness and installation fee. Make sure they are including the steering interface (SWI-JACK) so that you can still control it with the steering buttons.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds exactly right. I think BB charges 200 to install nav and 85 to install a camera. You can do better buying on line and then having them install it. I installed my pioneer myself, and it is not too difficult as usbseawoof2000 suggests. Choose the unit you like best, we all have different priorities. Pioneer seems to have best ipod/iphone interface, kenwood has garmine, jvc has good units too. That kenwood is probably a good choice. I should have had someone else install my camera, but others have more skills. I would say a back up camera is really nice to have as rear visibility is poor in the prius.