1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to display MPG between fillups?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sundog105, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Sundog105

Sundog105 Sundog105

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my Gen II Prius, while driving, I could easily see my MPG between gas fill-ups. How do I do that in my 2012 Gen III w/nav? I need step-by-step instructions please, as I can't figure this out from the Owners Manual.

2. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do it by resetting my trip mileage indicator at each fill up. On the steering wheel you will see a button that says "Trip". Short presses on that button scrolls thru the various indications on the center display such as trip A, trip B, ODO, etc.. With the desired Trip A or B indicated, press and hold down the "Trip" button and that displayed "Trip" indication will be reset to zero. I do this using Trip A before pulling away from the pump. I also use Trip B to indicate miles etc. at each service interval (5000 miles) to have an easy way to keep track of the amount of miles I have driven, or have left to drive before my next service will be required. I still go to Fuelly.com and record my actual mileage and gallons used as the indicated is usually optimistic by 2-3 mpg at each fill up. By using this method, I feel confident driving an additional 50 miles after the fuel gauge starts blinking on the last block indicator. I never have to add more than 9.5-10 gallons to fill my 11.9 gallon tank so 475-500+ miles per tank is average for myself but from reading the comments on here you will see some get up to 600+ miles on a tank.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. Sundog105

Sundog105 Sundog105

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is VERY helpful, thanks! And I like the Trip B idea as well.

So is it correct, that for Trip A, my 5-minute (or 1-minute) fuel consumption display will show my total MPG since I reset Trip A to zero, like "CONS. 52.3 MPG", at bottom center of the display? (Manual section 1-1. Hybrid system - Multi-information display.)

The discussion of Fuel Consu. Disp.; Consump.; and Comp. Consumption in the Manual section 2-2. Instrument Cluster had me totally confused.

4. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I understand your question, I would say yes. Keep in mind that as you pull away, having just reset that trip indicator, you will see that CONS. mpg vary wildly for awhile as it will take a few accumulated miles before small things don't affect it as much. If you watch the instant mpg indicator (just to the right of the mph indicator) as you monitor the CONS. mpg, you will see how much things like hills, brakes, accelerator pedal, have a direct affect on your overall mpg. The engine will start to charge the HV battery as needed and that will also impact your mpg. As I pull away from the pump, I try to stay in the EV mode by going easy on the gas pedal and it is fun to see the CONS. stay at 99.9 mpg as long as possible. Traffic, hills, state of charge, etc. will work to pull it back down as will ambient outside temp. since the computer will start the ICE to maintain optimal operating temp. for the ICE. Since this is my first Prius, I do keep an eye on those reading and do try to choose routes to optimize my mpg within reason. I do try to watch the road as mpg won't matter much if the car or myself are destroyed while watching mpg.

5. Sundog105

Sundog105 Sundog105

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three