1. Offline

charliehoward New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are detailed instructions, with many photos, showing you how to replace the antenna base of a 2nd Gen Prius:

http://www.wallwatcher.com/Antenna

In a contest between an antenna and a garage door, the door always wins. It may get bent a little, but the antenna is likely to be ripped out of the antenna base (the black cone). There's a circuit board in that base, and it contains a pre-amplifier. If something on that board breaks off, or the wire connecting the pre-amp to the nut that holds the antenna breaks (both happened to me), you'll need a new antenna base.

Your Toyota dealer can make the repair, and that's the safe way to get it done. But, my dealer said it would cost about $1,000 (almost $300 for the antenna base, plus lots and lots of expensive labor).

You can buy the antenna base on the web for around $200, and it's actually pretty easy to do the job yourself... once you know how. It took me about 2-1/2 hours, including taking lots of photos and needing lots of time to figure out some things. Someone who has done this before and has the right tools (such as a mechanic at a Toyota dealer repair shop) should be able to do it in about 30 minutes.

DISCLAIMER: Only try this if you're comfortable with the procedure; I won't be responsible for damage to you or to your car.
    5 people like this.
  2. Offline

donalmilligan089 Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About the best illastrations I have ever seen Kudos to you
    1 people like this.
  3. Offline

Boo Boola Boola Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks again Charlie. The illustrated instructions are just fantastic.
  4. Offline

Stormz New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found your instructions on the web a minute ago, then also here. Just like to also say thanks for doing it, as I`ll be changing our antenna for a shark-fin soon.
  5. Offline

AfonsoSilva New Member

Charlie, you instructions are fantastic! I had my antenna base broken a couple of weeks ago backing up the car against a partly open garage door. Your instructions made the replacement job a breeze, and saved me a ton of money.

Thanks!
  6. Offline

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great instructions. For anyone that thinks they might want to avoid this you can take the 16" unicorn antenna off your prius and replace it with a 4" antenna for less than $5 and no tools required. It literally screws off and on with bare hands.

No chance of a garage door or tree limb or whatever breaking off your antenna base if the antenna is only a couple of inches tall.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/90527-cheap-shorty-antenna-works.html
  7. Offline

Roger Scott New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for taking the time to make an excellent instructional manual. R. Scott, PhD
  8. Offline

davef58 New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I am attempting to replace the antenna and I got to the headliner removal and saw the curtain airbags along the backseat posts. Will they stay intact while I remove the headliner? The side post has popped loose and the curtain is tapes up like an accordion. Do I nned to be concerned about them deploying?
  9. Offline

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are concerned about the SRS system, just disconnect the 12V battery negative cable where it connects to the body and wait a few minutes to allow the power supply capacitors to discharge. I recently replaced the antenna base on my 2007 and did not bother to do that, but you should do what makes you comfortable.
  10. Offline

goughlaw New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just one bit of advice. The OE antenna base (Original equipment) can be purchased online for only $87.50 plus sales tax from antennamastsrus. It is identical to the one that my dealer wanted $290 for, manufactured in the same place, just comes in a plain package. Uncomfortable with ability to peel back the head cover, a local auto upholstery shop did the whole job for labor of $185. Since the mast screw in antennas seem to be popular objects to be stolen, I will get a shark fin antenna that can be secured.