1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge Suckage...In An Accident With My PRius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LOLGuy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the Prius is a street car NOT a Baja 1000 Pre Runner. forget the skid plates!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, you'd be surprised what is on the roads, especially around Winnipeg in winter. A lot of the semi's pick up snow and ice especially after a blizzard, and the stuff falls off onto the highway.

In 1985 my Aunt was driving her brand new K car on the Perimeter when she nailed a couple of chunks of Semi Ice Sculpture at 100 km/h. The ice chunks took out her oil pan, transmission pan, and gas tank.

Fortunately AutoPac covered it.

On the gravel sideroad to my hobby farm, a few times I've come across large rocks left behind by the grader. Obviousely I carefully drove around them. With my old Ford F-150 I'd sail right over top of them without giving them a thought.

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Last summer, HUMU was sideswiped at night by a hit and run driver and the damage was about 8k. You should take comfort from some things I learned from the body shop who did the restoration. The Prius is well engineered and put together in such a way that it can be disassembled and rebuilt. This is true for most unibody constructed cars, but my Prius sustained what looked like total damage. The body shop showed me how they removed the damaged sheet metal at the spot welds (where the pieces were attached at the factory) and re-inserted new parts.

The Prius is so new that there are no aftermarket (and possibly inferior) parts; everything that went into HUMU's repair was OEM.

There are about seven standards to which cars can be repaired, the highest being "to original condition", which means that the finished car will be indistinguishable from when it left the factory. In my case, this meant, actually, that my car was in better shape than it was before the accident, I got a new rear bumper, side panels, and four new tires and wheels.

The downside is that repairs are not cheap, but this probably applies across the board for all new cars. The body shop showed me how the car absorbed the impact and localized the damage. Had I been sleeping in the car, according to the mechanics, I probably would have escaped injury although the noise could have damaged my hearing.

It was traumatic seeing my car up on the sidewalk, but I feel safer in it now, knowing how well put together it is. I also feel good knowing that a good body shop can do amazing things.

Good luck,
    Bob
    p.s. keep us posted; major repair work stories are of interest to many of us.

4. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am so sorry for your troubles, but it made me feel a bit better. About two months ago I tangled with a deer doing 65 mph. Caught her head with the right front bumper, which swung her around so that she did a number on the front passenger door, then swung around again to do a number on the right rear door. My insurance cost is at $5,000 and the car is currently in the shop for a 13 day stay. Fortunately it was still driveable while I waited for the body shop that I use to have an opening and for the backordered parts to arrive. I have had my Prius since June and have 10,000 miles on it.

5. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An update from the collision shop...

Spoke with them yesterday and all the parts have arrived. They were supposed to start tearing it down today. So I figure I'll give a call tomorrow to see if the estimate has gone any higher. FWIT, the shop is first rate and state of the art with all work done on premises.

Also I submitted pictures of the car's damage and what's left of the light pole, along with the estimate and an email explanation to the development's management company. Not knowing that a resident of the community was a friend of mine they alluded to my situation when discussing safety issues with their poles. I don't want my insurance hung with this and hope we can avoid legal wranglings.

Thanks, again, for the kind words.

6. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Happy ending...

Picked up my '05 Tideland today after nearly a month in the shop and boy, oh boy, it sure does look like they've done a wonderful job.

While I didn't get a chance to look underneath when I picked it up this morning, as the result of a couple of warning lights illuminating when I went to lunch (brake, ABS and VSC), I went back after work. Called to let them know what I saw and they said to take it in and they'd take a look.

They kept the shop open past closing, took it right in and after running some diagnostics and determined there was an air bubble in the rear right brake line. They drained it to eliminate the air, cleaned the area and remounted the wheel. Ran another diagnostic and took it for a test drive to make sure all was well. What a great job!

When they tossed it up on the lift tonight I got a good look underneath and it looked brand-spanking new. While that may be due to the fact that nearly everything down below was replaced, it looked great.

Major kudos to the collision and service folks at Kuhn Morgan Toyota in Tampa. I wouldn't but a car from them (still charging a $3495 premium for '05's for "limited availability") but their service is TOP NOTCH!!!

Oh, total damage topped $15k.

7. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

I agree a second opinion is needed unless you have a clear idea of what the heck $14000 of damage is.....I am so sorry..I could cry too!

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What's the latest with the development company?

9. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While I haven't heard back regarding my situation, according to a friend of mine who lives in the development, the board has identified a safety issue with their poles which is necessitating replacement of all the poles. They should have been -- but weren't -- installed in concrete pads and the faulty installation is causing a problem with the poles leaning (and in my case, actually falling). This was disclosed at a community board meeting.

As my wife has pointed out, my beef shouldn't just be with the cash Geico has laid out but also with the fact that the residual value of the car, should I wish to sell or trade it in, is diminished. I'm having a hard time determining what this "damage" amounts to.

As much as I love my Tideland and what I've put into it (sub, Sirius, window tint and Dynamat), if I had my drothers, I'd be happy to have them purchase me a new one and sign them over this one to do with what they wish.

I'll keep you posted.