1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Pre-Heat... Anybody tried it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rokeby, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Around here, every cold snap - eg -40 - there are a rash of car fires caused by using the old fashioned interior car warmers.

What's really neat is that the remains of the car are then entombed in solid ice after the fire department gets done putting out the blazing inferno.

I've often wondered how they manage to break the ice free and remove the remains of the car. Then I saw a Bobcat with a chisle attachment that easily pecks away the ice. The guy operating the Bobcat called the attachment "The Pecker"

I'm sure

Hydraulic Breaker Attachment - Bobcat Company

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's my experience exactly Jim. I had a 20 degree battery after a 3 day cold soak on an out of town trip. My drive home was over 3 hours of icy highway driving. 2 hours into the drive, with heat on, the temp had just topped 32F and was barely over 40 when I got home. The loss of efficiency was quite noticable.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    JimboK , and efusco,

OK, the way I'm reading your comments, it seems like you are saying there
    might be some value in directly warming up the HV battery when it has seen
    a cold soak.

My present thinking is that it would probably more efficient to try to
    maintain the heat in the battery overnight -- not unlike a trickle charger
    maintains the charge -- as opposed to letting the battery cool off, then try to
    reheat it in the morning.

I think this report supports this position: (The report is 40-some pages long,
    but the relevant cold weather parts are not long and can be identified using
    the bold section titles.)

http://www.mjbradley.com/documents/Abmtp2.pdf

jayman,

I agree that any fire danger must be minimized. To that end, I am now
    thinking a heated battery blanket on top of the battery or a silicon battery
    pad, either of ~80-100 watts with a built in thermostat.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely I think there would be benefit in having a warm battery. If it were possible to maintain the temp at around 50F I think we'd see a big benefit...particularly when paired with an EBH.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Put a hair dryer in the exhaust end of the battery cooling duct and blow warm air through the battery pack backwards, the exhaust will warm the cabin. You will need a non return valve to stop hot battery air going into the cabin space under normal operation.

6. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would like to caution you against putting the heat source on top of the battery. I recommend that you put it under the battery.
    Since warm air tends to rise, heating the Battery from the top would probably cause a thermally stratified condition within the battery box, where the top of the battery is much warmer than the bottom. By heating the battery from the bottom, the warm air would rise through the battery by convection from the bottom towards the top, keeping it more evenly warm.
    Uneven temperature within the battery can decrease performance, and shorten battery life.

7. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JimboK

efusco

Rokeby
    Rokeby, excuse me, but I cannot see how you've drawn your conclusion from the two referenced posts. Neither one offers any evidence that heating the battery directly provides any benefit. They didn't try direct heating; how would they know if there was some value? What they are saying is that the charge/discharge cycle in conjunction with the cabin heated after some period of driving have minimal effect on increasing battery temperature, in one case after 20-30 minutes, in the other after three hours. IOW, they have only offered evidence of what does not provide any benefit.

This thread has ended (or has at least become inactive) exactly where it began. There's been a lot of egghead talk, unwarranted conclusions and unsubstantiated opinions, but very little in the way of the OP's appeal for anyone who has tried to warm the battery, or to quantify its effectiveness.

Yet my post drew only a warning of a fire hazard, as though everyone "knew" that three hours of preheating the cabin couldn't possibly offer any benefit to the HV battery. Before anyone assumes that foregone conclusion, I suggest that they actually try an experiment; you know, gather some empirical data, rather than talking the subject to death.

8. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A warm HV battery must have a positive impact on FE because it is a fact that a cold battery will not be as efficient at capturing regen energy and cannot discharge as efficiently. This means wasted energy and reduced current capability which means mpg hit. There is no doubt in my mind that an HV battery at optimal temperature will improve the Prius efficiency. It really is only a matter of how much.

I have a graham scanner and I have seen that the max regen current when the battery is <10˚C is about 30amps. It can take over 50 amps when >15˚C. So your brakes are burning off the excess energy when you regen above that 30amps with a cold battery.

I think better insulation and some passive heat would work best.

I'm also working on this issue with my 2003.

1 person likes this.
  9. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The core heating of the HV pack with AC is the best method but what they don't explain in the paper is what voltage and amplitude is applied. I'm assuming pack voltage.

From the NREL study liked to earlier:

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Orange4boy,

Thanks for bumping this thread. Like you I think there is much to be
    gained MPG-wise here. But I suspect you are much more capable than I
    in finding a workable solution.

Back in post #4 I said:

But I find no preceeding posts by Shawn or FWD. I guess they got
    deleted in a cleanup sweep by the Mods. I have no real complaints,
    though it would appear that they were suggesting something along the
    lines you are. I read something along these lines in a report from, IIRC,
    a New England electrical power company that was operating EVs -- could
    it be the NREL you cite?

So just how would you generate the 60A, 10 kHz current -- which I take
    it is an alternating current?

I'll bet you can tell that I'm not very electrically savvy. :rolleyes:

11. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ? do not know. It just sounds cool. I'm not that electrically savvy either but very ambitious.

My current approach is a battery blanket on top which is pretty ineffective, with heat rising and all. I want to get something inside the case under the battery at some point but it will have to wait till I have time for all that unbolting. There is a tiny bit of room under the case but the whole pack would have to be lifted a bit and some bolt holes elongated for that to work. Might as well put it under the batteries if possible. Christ from EM has suggested waterbed heater pads as they have a thermostat and are thin.

I'm determined to do something.

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FWIW, here is my list of thinnish heating products most likely to work
    either under the whole battery box, or between the box and the HV
    battery itself -- some of them are pretty "out there." :eek:

Self Adhesive Engine, Oil, Block Pre-Heating Pad

Wolverine Engine Oil Heaters - Products

ClearMirror® : The original fog free bathroom mirror defogger - From $69

Electric Foot of the Bed Warmer - Stops Cold Feet!: CozyWinters

Electric Foot Warmer - Cozy Under Desk Electric Foot Warmer Standard Mat

http://www.comfortheat.com/files/product_ffm.pdf

Thermocouples, Coil Heaters, Mica Heater Bands, Ceramic Heaters
    The “FuzzyLogic” Logic Temperature Controllers warrant a look, but are
    probably prohibitively expensive.

These two items are 12v, so would require a 120vAC to 12vDC transformer.
    At any rate they are too neat not to pass along: ;)

OEM Products, 12 Volt Heating, Carbon Fiber Dual Temp Waterproof Single Pad Seat Heater Kit

This for blowing hot air through the back seat HV battery inlet vent:

Moose Racing UTV Cab Heater - - Motorcycle Superstore

[EDIT: I'm watching your similar thread on oil pan heating on Ecomodder.]

Pre-heating the Prius Transaxle for FE - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

13. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm all about the heat.

There is a lot of gain to be had in this. When I drove down to california, the battery was nice and warm compared to here and I could EV for miles and pull way more amps before the engine kicked in compared to home: >15˚C difference.

All of the electricity including the running draw of 300-700 watts is stored in the battery before being used. The in-out efficiency is so much better when warm, I'm stunned to hear people say it won't make much difference. But then my alternator delete garnered similar responses.

Thanks for the links. It was a warm gesture:p

14. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How about putting a water bed heater under the HV battery?

It's about 300 Watts, but temperature regulated. If you get the more simple ones with a mechanical thermostat, you can just set the thermostat to its lowest setting and have another plug just like for the engine heater.

Interesting thread!

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Their posts were not deleted. FWD's name is still there. Shawn changed his screen name.

16. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When you calculate the energy needed to warm the battery, will the savings in better mileage add up?
    Also, as I have mentioned on an earlier thread, I am working (still) on an inexpensive battery charger for the NIMH pack. Starting off with a nearly full pack each day would insure that I could get to the train station in EV mode every day without the ICE running. This would also keep the battery warm, another advantage. I already keep my Prius in an attached garage, but is can still be cool in there, but not as cold as outside.

17. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wouldn't do this. One way that Toyota gets such long life out of the NiMH batteries by operating them in the middle of their charge range - they don't stress them by filling them up near to the top limit of their capacity nor do they discharge them down towards the bottom limit of their capacity.

By topping the batteries off (I presume you mean giving them a full charge) you will greatly reduce the lifetimes of the batteries.

Warming the batteries up with externally supplied heat is one thing (and as has been pointed out, probably isn't energy efficient overall) but heating them up by overcharging (from a reliability point of view) is probably not financially efficient overall.

I'm sure lots of engineering went into designing the battery control system so that the Prius batteries would last well over 150,000 miles.

Good Luck!

18. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    kohnen,

Would you care to comment on this snippet from earlier in the thread:

I'm not even sure that it applies to the Prius' HV battery.
    Nonetheless, it sounds interesting. It also sounds like it would be
    difficult to implement. Your thoughts are most welcomed.

The matter of HV battery temperature management and accompanying
    power issues may play a large part in the public's perception of the
    viability of pure EVs for daily use. In the increasing bally-hoo in
    anticipation of the Nissan Leaf, etc, most of the hype has to do with
    max range and sustainable speeds. But, behind those issues is the
    matter of getting the power out of the battery. I suspect that the Leaf,
    et al, will have some kind of OEM battery temp system integrated into
    the charging system. But nobody is talking about it...

It's lost in the background clutter. Perhaps it's too technical a matter.
    Surely, it's not something that the average potential EV driver would
    even think about and have any interest in... yet.

19. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Since it's cold again, it's no coincidence that I have also been thinking about this again. But it is a coincidence that last week my wife was shopping for a new vacuum cleaner. She had her eye on a model with over 2000 W. I pointed out to her that that is more than three horsepower, enough to power a small motorcycle, and a ridiculous amount of power just to pick up a few grams of dust. So I persuaded her to order a different model with two thirds the power, but which performs just as well, because it is more efficient.

So thinking about the enormous inefficiency of vacuum cleaners, which waste most of their power by heating a large amount of air by a small amount, led me to the idea of using a vacuum cleaner to heat the HV battery. I think that a vacuum cleaner is very close to the ideal heat source to preheat the HV battery:

1. A vacuum cleaner has about the right amount of power. Based on NREL's calculations, I estimate that 2000 W of power, assuming 50% heat transfer efficiency, would heat the HV battery by about 30° C in about half an hour. That is slow enough to ensure fairly even heating throughout the individual cells, but fast enough that it can be effective on fairly short notice.

2. The high airflow ensures even heating throughout the battery pack. One of the worst things for the health of a battery pack is uneven charge between cells, which can be caused by uneven heating.

3. A vacuum cleaner has of course, very conveniently, a built in air filter, which would slow the build up of dust due to the increased airflow in the battery pack.

4. Normally, vacuum cleaners do not operate at such high temperatures as most heating devices, so the fire danger might be lower.

5. The installation, I think, would be relatively simple.

The basic idea was already mentioned earlier. More specifically, the idea is to tap in to the battery ventilation exhaust duct as close as possible to the battery, draw the air from the battery through the vacuum cleaner, whereby it is heated as it cools the fan motor, duct the exhaust air from the vacuum cleaner through a one way valve, and into the battery ventilation intake duct. The heated air is then drawn through the battery by the vacuum sucking at the battery ventilation exhaust duct. So the air is re-circulated in a more or less closed loop. And of course a thermostat or timer should be used to prevent overheating.

If the duct from the vacuum is not routed to and sealed around the battery ventilation duct intake grill on the right rear seatback but tapped in to the duct itself, then a second one way valve, in the battery ventilation intake duct upstream of where the vacuum cleaner exhaust is tapped in, may or may not be necessary, depending on how much air can exit the cabin through other openings. Without the second one way valve in the battery ventilation intake duct, at least a small amount of heated air would escape through the battery ventilation duct intake grill on the right rear seatback. This might be either a loss or an added benefit, depending on your point of view.

Some vacuum cleaners are equipped with a blower port to which a hose can be attached. With other vacuum cleaners, some ducting would have to be attached around the exhaust openings, or the entire vacuum could be encapsulated to capture all the exhaust air.

One thing that I'm not so sure about is how much the intake airflow to the vacuum cleaner would have to be throttled, in order to consume the required amount of power. Electric motors, when not working against a mechanical (or air) resistance, do not consume much power, even at high rpm. Presumably vacuum cleaners are designed to develop max power when working against the air resistance of the floor cleaning attachment while it is resting on the floor. Perhaps using a small diameter duct to the vacuum cleaner or cutting only a small hole when tapping in to the duct would produce the desired effect.

PS Here's a nice picture of the battery and ductwork of the 2nd gen. Prius from the Toyota press site:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    60 Amps at (rounding) 200 Volts is 12 kW. Well within the capability of the inverter, MG1 and the engine to produce.

The trick here is to use the internal resistance of the batteries themselves to generate heat.

To prevent overcharging, one could inject current into the battery and then pull current out of the battery. Either way, you heat up the battery by putting current through its internal resistance.

If I were to _GUESS_:

1) This is a viable approach to heat up the battery without damaging it.
    2) The Prius has powerful enough hardware (the MGs, the engine and the inverter) to accomplish this.
    3) It might require a slight hardware change to the inverter (I don't know the topology).
    4) It would require significant changes to the software of the hybrid control computer.

This appears to me like it's one of those things that Toyota had to cut / overlook in order to get product "out the door." It might show up on later models as a refinement. On the other hand, Toyota might not bother.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I live in So Cal - for me, 45 F is cold.