1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV vs EV Modes... When, Where, & Why?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by REmmons, Nov 28, 2012.

1. REmmons

REmmons New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Still trying to master my PiP driving style. I have seen in a few threads other recommending to switch between modes (HV or EV) based on driving conditions. Is there a standard practice or recommendation? Or is it just personal preference and belief?

I am 8.2 miles away from work. It's a straight drive with no turns and it's hilly. Over a dozen up and downs. The first 3 miles is mostly 45 MPH zone with traffic lights. Then the remaining 5 miles is 55 MPH zone. Starting elevation is 250 ft and ending elevation is 315 ft. So not a huge change but uphill on the way to work and downhill on the way back. I keep it in a attached garage so the temp drops down to about 60 and the outside temp is in the 30s when i am leaving to go to work.

Should I even worry about which mode? I have been playing around with it but there doesn't seem to be a sweet spot... Any recommendations based on my commute?

2. If your objective is to save € £ ¥ $ then commute in EV . If I go on a trip I like to save my EV FOR HILLS, and then recharge in HV going downhill. That's all there is to it. Naturally recharge at every opportunity.

3. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    consensus is that you want to use HV for highway (though the car will still bleed 1-2mi EV before it shuts off EV completely) so that you can save the EV mode for city.

keep in mind after EV mode stops, you need to regen quite a bit (~1 mi EV) before the battery is sufficiently charged where EV mode will become available again. when i'm low on EV but know i can regen that much (long downhill coming up), i will switch to HV so i can use EV mode after that regen.

or just drive it and trust the software!

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Standard practice is: fast and hills use HV, slow and flat use EV. Obviously, if you can plug in at both ends, EV the whole way and you won't need gas at all for your commute. But I think you'll find that Old Man Winter will make the decision for you. It will be so cold or the windows will fog and the ICE will turn on automatically whether you call for heat or not.

So I'm with SJ PiP. Just drive it normally. Your commute is short and slow enough that there is very little to gain playing with the buttons. FWIW, I find EV range drops exponentially above 42 mph. So I try to use EV only when traffic is going below 50 mph.

lensovet and SJ PiP like this.
  5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you can't charge at work, make sure you save some EV miles for lunch break (short trip).