1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. ann.schulz.946

ann.schulz.946 New Member

Ihave a 2005 prius with 84,000 miles. The car is running fine but the main red triangle light came on. I took it to toyota and they said I needed a new hybrid battery. I thought I was covered by the warranty but they told me that warranty wad only good in california.
    I live in texas so I guess I am out of luck. Anyone else have this problem? New batteries are expensive!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might be able to get a goodwill warranty through Toyota HQ. Call them and give them the information on your car and the dealership's diagnosis. Hopefully they can help cover a portion of your repair costs.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FYI, all Prii get 100,000 mile federal emissions equip warranty, but its limited to 8 years. CA (and several other states) get 10yr 150,000 mile. Sorry you missed the window, but as others said its definitely worth asking for some help. Sometimes the dealer and/or Toyota will cut you a bit of a break when you are not that far out.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try houston hybrids, battery rebuilders. also, if your car is running fine, your battery may be okay. get s second opinion, or ask for the diagnostic codes and post them here.

6. Oppy

Oppy Smug Apprentice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius Hybrid battery warning lights illuminated at 100,500 miles. Within two days the battery cooling fan came on (for the first time ever) and in less than a week I was commuting on the freeway when my speed sank to 20mph max. So off I went for a $3265 replacement. My recommendation is for hybrid owners to be cognizant of the possiblity and plan well ahead. Had I been aware of otions to a full pack replacement at the dealer, I likely would have considered it and saved a lot of money. In my case I had one bad cell out of the entire pack.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If IIRC the CARB warranty is maximum 10 years, so your battery came pretty close. This also means that Toyota is unlikely to feel like footing the bill.

I suggest reading the threads re: battery replacement options

8. tddots

tddots New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please show me a link where Toyota stated its 8 and 10 year warranty, thank you!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's in your warranty manual. ca, and all carb states get 10 years, or 150,000 miles on the hybrid system, whichever comes first. the rest of the states get 8 years or 100,ooo miles.

10. tddots

tddots New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ok thanks! recalled now.

11. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are around the Dallas Fort Worth area call Texas Hybrid Batteries. We offer mobile installation and 18 month warranties on our batteries. I would be curious to know why your battery failed so soon. We have rebuilt and replaced dozens of batteries and never seen one go so soon. Our normal price on the Gen 2 Prius Battery is $1100 and that's tax and installation included.

PriusChat won't let me put a hyperlink in right now but you can visit our website at if you google search texashybridbatteries. Good luck with your car.

Owner - Matt Sauer (817) 629-8394

Mardnus likes this.