1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hydraulic floor jack rating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jbpersmail, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jbpersmail

jbpersmail Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    when they say 1.5 ton capacity on a floor jack, i know it is 3000 lb. so since i will only be lifting half the car, 1.5 ton should be good enough right?

also, what do you guys think about aluminum jacks like this one, or should i get a steel one?

Aluminum Floor Jack - 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    That is plenty and I have the same jack,4 pumps and tires are off the ground

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have one of those and it is adequate. It is not very good quality and there are better floor jacks with higher rated capacities in the same price range. Dont get wrapped up in being aluminum, or "Racing" whatever that means marketing hype.

I have a 3 ton floor jack and it takes about 1/10 the force on the handle to raise the ends of my Prius. A 1.5 ton jack works but it takes a lot of energy to get the front end up on a Prius. It will get the tires off the ground with little effort, but using it to raise the height to floor stands it takes alot of effort. I dont use it on my Prius.

4. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just went shopping for a floor jack.. If u have a Costco near you get the arcan 3 Ton jack for 100.00... This thing is heavy duty!! I used it when I lowered my Prius and it is awesome!! Google this jack and you will see it is one of the best jacks out there for the money.. Don't waste your money with harbor freight.. Trust me I have 2 jacks just collecting dust because they no longer work!!

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought that same jack from HF a few weeks back, I used it just before Xmas to put my snow tires on my 2012 PIP. No problems with it whatsoever. The PIP is a bit heavier in the rear than the regular Prius- and the jack still had no problems raising the entire front or rear of the PIP.

I have to do an oil change (almost at 5k miles) tomorrow- I'll be using that jack with jack-stands and wheel chocks.

FYI- be careful with the handle on that jack- it's lightweight too- when you release the handle and the jack's under load- it wants to go to the upright position- if you don't have the foam wrap/guard in the correct position it could chip your bumper paint.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jacks and jack stands are good to have, but nothing can beat a good pair of ramps for getting one end of your vehicle off the ground. As long as you don't need load off the wheels that is. ;)

7. Pdub

Pdub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As of yesterday, my Costco has the Arcan XL325R 3.25 ton jack for $105. looked like they had plenty so no hurry.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've had the earlier version of this Harbor Freight jack for over 10 years. I've used on a much heavier Mazda MPV mini van. It has worked earch and every time that I've used it. It weighs about 23 pounds. I keep a newer one in my Prius "v." I am sold on them.

Look in Popular Mechanics, Road and Track, Motor Trend, The Family Handyman or Popular Science. There is a coupon for this jack for the $59.99 price. There is another coupon for another "freebee." You can use both coupons at the same time.