1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am convinced my 2012 has a problem.. Noises all over the place, erratic battery monitor..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pinkkitty724, Oct 10, 2012.

1. pinkkitty724

pinkkitty724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Full disclosure: I've never owned a hybrid car before. So maybe this is all normal. I did read a post on here for newbies and about the noises. None of mine seemed to be addressed in the "normal" noises of the initial thread of what to expect.

1. I noticed a humming noise which sounds like the fan (I guess.. maybe??) when I have my a/c on, even the lowest setting. Am I supposed to hear that inside the car? It's definitely loud enough to hear, but isn't excruciating. Should I have it looked at by service, or is it normal to hear this inside the car?

2. I sometimes hear a noise after I park and turn off the car. It's very hard to describe but I also feel some vibration/movement resonating from under the hood or something as I still have my foot on the brake pedal. The brake pedal doesn't move, that's why I say it's resonating. It sounds like parts moving.. but it's hard to pinpoint or describe. I guess it sounds like parts moving, shutting down or something.

3. Today when I've started the car from sitting in the parking lot at work for about 4 hours each time, the car jolted forward/back after I sat for a half a minute or so waiting for the engine to kick on. The first time was a bit harsher than this afternoon. I did not do any short trip/moving the car just before that- I had driven into work which is about 7-8 miles. I have read about 2010-2011 models having some violent shake/movement on cold starts, and I don't think this is the same since it was about 81 degrees outside.

4. The battery monitor seemed awfully erratic today. It's been on 2 above half for the most part, which I believe is 7 bars- I didn't count the actual bars.. Today when I got in it was at 2 bars, then 3 bars, then within a mile or two got up to half. Then just above half. Then I went into the store for 10 minutes and when I went to drive away it was back down to 4 bars, then half within a minute, then a bar above half, then to the "normal" (about 7?) setting, then down one, etc. Is this normal battery/battery monitor behavior?

5. Darn glove compartment is vibrating. Just annoying. Couldn't replicate it when dealer service came for a ride but I still hear it so it will be addressed one way or another. Seems to do it more in EV because it's rougher running? One mode has more vibration than another from what I've noticed.

I know it's really hard for you all here to tell me whether or not this is normal if you can't hear the sounds. But, if I know that hearing these sounds and having these things happen is normal for this car, then that will help. Otherwise I am petrified I just bought something that has problems already. I have 290 miles on the car and purchased on Sept. 29, 2012.

Also, at the risk of sounding very clueless (I am when it comes to this car!), I am not sure I know how to drive this car. When I turn it on, do I need to wait to put it into reverse or start driving? Or can I just go once I turn it on?I ask because the engine doesn't seem to kick on until a little after the car is started, and if I had just turned it off and ran into the store for a quick trip for example, it doesn't seem to kick on after I turn on the car. If I coincidentally just put the car into reverse as it kicks on it jolts a little.

Is it the wrong car for me if I am only driving 8-10 miles each way somewhere? Am I harming the battery life with these types of trips?

Thanks in advance!

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most everything seems normal. It will get smoother after a few more miles on the engine. If you can take it on a highway roadtrip over a weekend it will probably smooth out nicely.

Only driving 8-10 miles each way you might have benefited a bit more from a Plugin Prius, but only if you had a way to charge it overnight.

3. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for replying. Definitely helps me worry a little less!

"Most everything". :) So, what doesn't sound normal?

4. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since you bought it less than 30 days ago, you might be able to swap a car with your dealership? I only suggest that because of others that posted similar suggestion (see link)
    @^$!@*% Navigation system | PriusChat

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the rattling glove compartment, but that might go away once the engine smooths out.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1) Define the hum. Approximate pitch/tone? Patterns? Probably the inverter, a high pitched electric whine from the magnetics ringing. It just is. Some people can hear it, some can't. It is definitely more noticeable outside the car.

2) The Prius is never off. You will have sounds of the brake pump priming and a few other circuits running getting things ready for the next time. Even with the car off, when you step on the brake pedal before you READY it, things turn on and start pumping. Some things even wake up after the door is unlocked...

3) Normal. Just like any other car. Except in the other cars you are foot on the brake and cranking the engine which makes movement and noise so it is "masked" No such masking filter here. And when a giant mass starts rotating, you bet you will feel it. The MG's try to counter it so you feel it less, but it is far from perfect.

4) That's not erradic, that is normal.

5) You have a rattle. Some dealers fix that, some don't. Most users fix it with some bubblegum and duct tape approaches of velcro or jamming rubber into the trim pieces. Others take it apart, find the rattle usually because of a looser screw or plastic just too tightly pressed together, and shave/screw/whatever to make it stop. Just make sure the rattle is the glovebox and not the contents inside. People complained about cupholder rattle on earlier models until they realized their coins were in the cupholder and rattling!

6) I know you don't have a #6, but you have another question paragraph. Press the button and once READY, just drive it. It will automatically use more electric motive power than gas in the beginning to let the ICE warmup. If you put it in reverse, sometimes the engine shuts off even if not warm because reverse can only be achieved by spinning one of the 2 electric motors backwards. If the engine is running, it has to counteract the forward movement and make the car go backwards. Instead it shuts off the engine and just goes backwards. Normal.

7) As to the wrong car, depends what you want. A 10 mile drive is great for the Prius. However it could have been done even better with the PiP if you have a place to plug it in. If you are doing frequent 1 mile hops, the regular Prius will not get the best MPGs in all of Prius Land, but it will get you near the top MPGs for all vehicles even with this cycle. All cold engines perform poorly. The Prius moreso by design so it warms up faster and spends less time in the bad zone.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HI-
    I have been on this site for 6 years an have seen hundreds of posts like yours about the Gen II. And now we see these for the III. Best advice I can give you is RELAX and enjoy your car. Everything you state is normal.
    Its a very different car than your used to. Under the hood is alot of pumps. They make noise after you shut the car off. Disregard. Lots going on under the hood.

Because of the type of engine this car uses it requires specific positioning when it shuts off. Sometimes it clunks to meet that position. My 07 has done that since new. Normal. That goes away over time and miles.

If you drive around town alot with many stops its rather hard on the Hybrid battery level state of charge (SOC)
    Not a smooth constant charge like highway driving. And lots of stop & go that eat up SOC. Especially if your new and have no hypermile skills. The SOC will look crazy around town. Drive on the highway for 10 miles at constant speed and you'll see how smooth the SOC is. Normal.

Start the car and drive away. Warmup is not necessary and is a waste of gas.

And not unlike alot of others posters after buying the car my dear is not the time to questions its application.
    If you don't drive much and stay in town alot a plug in may have served you better but not by much. You still have a great car with extremely low maintenance, world's best reliability, & great resale that will get 45 mpg's around town. Stop worrying and start enjoying your awesome new car.

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glove box rattle is not normal. Could it be something you have inside of it? the rest is normal. Did you watch the dvd that came with the car or read tha manual?

9. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is not stuff inside. I emptied it out and drove around and it still did it.
    I did not get a DVD with mine.... I don't think. It's not in the bunch of books that equate to a pile 8 inches tall. Am I missing this DVD or is it hidden somewhere?

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the glovebox is still rattling when it's time for your first oil change at 5000 miles mention it to the service tech. If it gets worse, then take it in sooner.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glove box, maybe something inside rattling. Everything else sounds normal for a Prius hybrid. After driving it a while it all just becomes normal sounds.

12. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good idea.. thanks! I think I will do that- regarding the glove box. But- isn't the first oil change at 10,000? Otherwise the first "service" says it's due @ 5k but as far as I am aware, that's really just rotating the tires.

13. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please see my responses in red :)

14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, 10k oil change, 5k tire rotation. But it should all be free 5k, 10k etc on your 2012 with toyotacare, right?

15. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. Well, free for 2 years which for me will be 2 oil changes- and I get one extra oil change because of my ToyoGuard Elite.. didn't care to have that but it was included in the car and I didn't pay extra for it in the end ;)

16. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah
    Yes, I was just saying you could bring it in at 5k and not 10k and mention the glove box like John pointed out for free. Though, if it continues you can probably just fix it yourself with extremely minor tweaking, foam something placed somewhere. I don't trust dealers to fix these minor kinds of things but that's just me.

Free is always good, especially when it comes to toyoguard, I wouldn't pay a dime for it either...

17. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Well, it's not REAL!!!

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im in the same boat, first hybrid, blah blah blah. I took the instruction manual at its word about sounds that may be different then other cars. Its a laptop vrs a typewriter, I figure. If you stop typing on a typewriter, all noise stops. If you stop typing on a laptop, the HDD still spins, the fans make noise, and occasional windows error messages appear ;D

edthefox5 likes this.
  18. Vernon Smap

Vernon Smap New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding #5 Glovebox Rattle: My 2012 Prius 2 had this problem. This forum post details out the problem, offending component, and a (very involved) DIY solution:
    Cause of lower glove box rattle - REVEALED! | PriusChat

My dealer replaced the lower glovebox under warranty. The replacement part was silent for a few days, then started rattling again just as the original component had.

This is either a design problem, or they have a supplier that isn't consistent in their production.