1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I disabled the parking brake pedal BRAKE light today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jadziasman, Jun 8, 2014.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The switch for the parking brake pedal light self loosened (a known issue with this switch) over the past six months and today it finally fell off the pedal assembly. The only way I can see to do the repair is to remove the three fasteners that attach the parking brake pedal assembly to the dash and drop the pedal to the floor to refasten the switch. It appears to be possible; however, there are lots of stuff around the assembly that might get in the way of dropping the assembly so I raised the white flag and called it a day.

So, what I decided to do instead was to close the switch "plunger" with a zip tie and surround the zip tie with some electrical tape to keep the zip tie in place. I used another zip tie to fasten the switch and wire harnesss to the parking brake cable to keep the switch secured and out of the way.

The BRAKE light now only comes on during start up. The rest of the time the car is on, the light is off regardless of whether or not the pedal is engaged. It's something I'll have to learn to live with and be aware of before I start rolling.

Now that the BRAKE light is not illuminated, I'm good to go until the next part fails to function as designed. This is the first thing that has ceased to function that I can't fix (easily) after Yoda has been on the road for over 9 years.

#1 jadziasman, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is the kind of thing that immerses toyota in hot water.:cool:

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could wire in a manual switch and bypass the oem switch.

SCH-I535