1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I get 3 dash lights intermittently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jerry LaBant, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Jerry LaBant

Jerry LaBant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I just started getting 3 dash lights that come and go intermittently? ( I'm getting a (!), ABS and VSC lights in amber). I first had these three come on while I was traveling home one evening (traveling a little too fast /approx 84mph). This 2007 Prius has 276,000 miles on her. The lights will come on, them go out once I stop for a short period of time, or slow-down and travel at 40-50 mph. Any suggestions? I've checked the 12V battery and its seem to meet at the recommended voltages. I did have a recall on the inverter water pump around 150K. With that said, the pump does have circulation when I remove the cap? Over the 6+ years that I've owned this car, I've only changed the oil (synthetic), replaced tires, changed a water pump/alternator belt and a second set of replacement front brake pads. This has been the BEST car (maintenance and economy-wise) that I've ever owned! She's still consistently getting 48.2mpg. I've ordered the OBD pigtail and diagnostic software, but I was hoping for a few suggestions before it arrives.
    Jerry
    Ladies and Gentlemen

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you checked the oil level? Did you say you looked at the inverter pump and there's circulation when you remove the cap? Have you checked the coolant level in your radiator? Have you ever done a coolant change?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to PC.
    Another thing to add to the above list is check the brake fluid level.

John (Britprius)

4. Jerry LaBant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haven't checked the oil, but over all the miles, she typically doesn't use any. In regard to the radiator, I not recently checked it, and I've never replaced it. I'll have a look this evening before my commute home. Good suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Jerry

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My guess is you are about 2 quarts low on oil. The 2 marks on the dipstick (low and between full mark) is 1.6 quarts. Most likely you are under the low mark on your oil (probably won't even see oil on the dipstick if your light turned on), making it about 2+ quarts low.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    276,000 Miles!

Wow.

Those are mainly lights related to brakes, suspension, traction control. And you say they manifest in a speed related manner?

First rudimentary diagnosis, it doesn't hurt to check oil levels and battery charge.

If that isn't it, I'd suspect brakes or suspension.

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If it is the OEM 12 V battery and you plan to keep it a while longer, you are on the edge of "normal" battery life......or a bit beyond.
    I recommend changing it or at least having a load test done on it before you start changing out other parts.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As JC said check the oil before driving the car. This problem arises many times. owners do not check there oil, and just have it changed at the required interval. When it is changed they do not measure how much oil is drained, and this could be well short of the required amount. Eventually the engine uses enough oil to bring on the oil pressure light "usually when cornering or braking" real damage is being done when this occurs as the light is a no oil pressure light not a low oil level warning.

John (Britprius)

9. timestwo

timestwo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a similar problem as Jerry LaBant, I will check oil etc., mine started to occur after I had my 2008 133k mile Prius jumped by AAA. Dealer replaced my 12 volt but lights are still intermittent. I've driven 500 miles since. Other internet discussions seem to indicate this may happen after the battery has been jumped. Dealer has suggested a $1800 fix, I'm skeptical.

10. Jerry LaBant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the suggestion, never did a coolant change, but I did find that I was a little low, so I purchased the correct over-priced Toyato collant and topped it off
    Never changed the coolant, but when I check it after your suggestion, I noticed it was down, so I use the Toyota over-priced coolant and replaced approx a quart. checked the inverter level while I was there too.

11. Jerry LaBant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You get an "A+" for your diagnostic skill level. As much as this car usually doesn't use oil between changes, the dip stick was at the low end mark, so I did an oil change. I got a little over 2 qts out when I drained her. GOOD CALL! This explains why the lights would come on in hard corning.

12. Jerry LaBant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have to agree, I'm probably living on borrowed time in regard to my 12V battery's life. I'll take a look at the forum to see what the recommendations are for a quality replacement. I'm in this for the "long haul"!

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That being the case, I encourage you to catch up on any deferred maintenance. The engine and inverter coolants, engine iridium spark plugs, and transaxle ATF fluid would be on the top of the list to replace. Check the engine coolant pump for leaks around the pump bearing and if present, replace that now.

You dodged a bullet by checking the engine oil level when you did. Each time you had a warning light appear during cornering, engine oil pressure dropped to a dangerously low level, causing damage to your engine. I suggest that you need to check the engine oil level at least once per month when you refuel.

14. Jerry LaBant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Folk,
    Just to share an update, I've done new irradium plugs, a new 12V battery and all the fluids, but now my 3 dash lights (ABS and VSC lights in amber) have added more color to the display with a red brake warning light. No change in mileage, or battery performance, but these lights will come on randomly, with no consistency. I haven't had the time to install the new software on my laptop to check the codes, but I have noticed that the engine acts like it has a mis-fire, or a hiccup in the the transition from the electric motor and gas. This "Hiccup" occurs at random speeds, and when it does, it lights up a four warning lamps. any suggestions?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might have to pull your spark plug ignition coils out again. Check for cracks around the rubber seals where it connects to the spark plug. There have been some reports of cracking in the rubber seal which causes misfiring. You would have to replace the bad ones.....if cost is not a factor, replace them all.

16. Jerry LaBant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I did the plug change, I had a little residual oil around the top rubber seal, where the coil pack touches the cylinder head, but no visual issues with the bottom of the coil pack. All the plugs had nice even grey to tan shade on their tips. When I did this plug change at 170,000 miles, I noted how clean the plugs were, this time the tips were clean, but the threaded portion of the plug has a little oil build up. This past oil change has been the first that Ive ever noted that the car is using oil. ( as you suggested in an earlier post)

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's best you hook up your miniVCI and pull the codes. It'll take out the guess work. Did you change the coolant and purge all the air out of your system?

Things that are usually addressed here are

1. Air in system after coolant change
    2. bad coils
    3. bad injectors (this is more rare)

There was a member about a month ago that had a ignition coil problem. Car drove without issues but I believe there were warning lights on. Dealer diagnosed an engine problem that would require $4000 to fix. Ended up going to a rip off mechanic and changing the coils for $1500 (including the diagnostics).

You can try cleaning your throttle body, not sure if that'll do anything but it won't hurt.