1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have a Prius and now I own a "car" again too

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jadziasman, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed - one size doesn't fit all, as frodoz737 just pointed out. And the Gen 2 Prius doesn't fit me. I know that and I knew that when I bought it. I mentioned it in post #5.

In conclusion - the Prius is not and was never meant to be a mid sized sedan like the Accord, Altima, Avenger, Camry, CC, Fusion, Legacy, Malibu, Mazda6, Optima, Passat, Regal, S60, Sonata, 200, etc.

I wanted a mid sized sedan again and bought one - maximum mpg be damned. A well equipped mid sized sedan is a car. The Prius????? Not!

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. Toyota was pretty proud to tell everyone the Gen 3 Prius was classified as a Mid-Size vehicle.

I believe Sedans are sedans...Hatchbacks are hatchbacks...and BOTH are cars.

But maybe I overreacted.

But if you spent as much time defending the fact that The Prius IS a real automobile...you might be a little defensive when a Prius Owner comes in talking about how a Prius isn't a "real car".

But enjoy the Altima...

I can understand wanting something different and enjoying driving diversity.

jhinsc likes this.
  3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kinda silly that you chose not to even try the Gen III.

I suspect it would have fit you just fine.

4. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With an extra 0.6 inches? Still wouldn't fit me.

Front leg room (inches).

2005 Prius 41.9
    2014 Prius 42.5
    2014 Altima 45.0

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    people are always looking to justify their actions...

Okinawa likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then there is the possibility of the flying bridge constraining from the side.

7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 3 Prius is a midsize "car" (yeah, right) with only 42.5 inches of front leg room.

It has less front leg room than the following compact cars
    Elantra and Impreza (43.6) and the Forte and Focus (43.3).

The subcompact Kia Rio even has more front leg room (43.8) than a Gen 3 Prius does!

8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are cars (2-door, 4-door, hardtop, sedans, station wagons, hatchback, hybrids, diesels, etc.), SUV's (see cars), trucks (see cars with a couple of exceptions), minivans, and commercial vehicles, unless I missed something. If the Prius is not a car, I wonder what other classification it fits in?

Jadzia, you know we're just kidding with you. :) Stating a Prius is not a real car is a personal observation, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a type of automotive vehicle called a CAR.

9. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I've been misunderstood (not the first time and certainly not the last).

The Prius is MORE than a car. The Electric Me pointed that out earlier in this thread.
    I am a traitor for backsliding into to a "car". And I am going to pay for it - at the pump.
    It was a price I was willing to pay for a more comfortable driving experience.

If Toyota had made the Gen 3 large enough to fit me, I probably would have bought it. But it didn't.
    If they're smart, they will make the front leg room of the Gen 4 more generous.

We'll see.

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well "Mid-Size" is not my definition. It's Toyota's and evidently the Gen 3 Prius does meet that criteria, it is classified as a mid-sized vehicle.

I think the Gen 3 Prius is a bit of a tweener. That is larger in overall size than most compacts, but small in comparison to most other mid-size vehicles.

But I get that the Gen 2 Prius is small for you...and you also feel the Gen 3 would be too small for you. Of course...Toyota does offer a Prius V.

I don't think you need to, nor is it justified to define yourself as "back-sliding" or a "traitor", as I said in one of my earlier posts I don't think owning a hybrid or a Prius obligates someone to always or exclusively owning a Prius or Hybrid.

And I can clearly accept and understand someone wanting something different than a Prius for various reasons. You don't even really have to defend them. Comfort, room, size...or damn, I just want it...are acceptable.

My only contention is that your original post I thought definitely had the tone of putting the Prius down in comparison to your new Altima. As in...The Altima is a REAL car...the Prius is NOT....

That's really my only beef with your original post.

11. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius V only has 41.3 inches of front leg room!

12. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! Have you considered having your legs shortened? It may seem extreme but it would really expand your automotive choices.

I am surprised the Prius V has less leg room...I would of assumed given it's larger size more...

13. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you're tall, you stand above the crowd but your automobile choices are more limited.

14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess it would make the EPA's job a lot simpler if they classified cars based on their front seat leg room :)

BluetoothEdsel likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The EPA size is based on passenger and cargo volume. So it can be easy for a hatchback to slip into a size up that doesn't reflect the passenger accommodations. Then several cars that are considered compacts by the public are mid-size by the EPA. The Prius has an edge in cargo space over the 2014 Corolla, Cruze, and Dart, but the Corolla and Dart have roomier cabins than it. It Toyota had stuck with the sedan body, the Prius might still be a compact today.
    Compare Side-by-Side

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I passed these two dudes in a 2nd gen Prius in slow freeway traffic. Driver looked tall....

I could see how his eye level was just below the top of the windshield.....

wow, there are some clueless people in this world.

2nd gen Prius fixed height driver's seat would be like putting the 3rd gen manual seat about 20 pumps up (it takes about 30 to fully raise it).

IOW, the 2nd gen was NOT designed for 'over 6ft' tall drivers due to its fixed height seat. Tall drivers can get eyes to a better level by reclining the seat far back, but this goes against guidelines for good seat position.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Altima sedans seem well laid out for tall drivers. One reason is the steering wheel has a lot of telescope travel, maybe twice what you get in many other cars including Prius, Accord and Camry. Altima driver's seat scoots far back and goes quite low. I can get a seat position I really like in Altima. Seat foam seemed a little smushy in back seat to me though.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind he's 6'4" tall driving around squashed up in a 2005, 2nd gen Prius. Ouch! Musta been ducking down a LOT to see where he's going.

I wonder what it would have been like to be 5'8" tall driving around 2nd gen Prius feeling like the car was actually made for me ....

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    not sure I understand your inference that the Prius is somehow not a car but just a comment that I really think the Altima would be a perfect EV platform car... Either way, I agree the gas version is a very nice car

20. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

And here. Ive spoken with Admin and they have agreed to allow me to have my web designer/web graphics friend design a digital dart board with your picture on it. At any point, should anybody mention the N word (*issan) :LOL: we get to throw digital darts at your picture until we feel satisfied.

Hehe jk. Congrats on your purchase. We arent here to judge, especially since we are usually the ones being judged out on the roads. If you are happy, Im happy.

But next time.. a Nissan... really?? I would've sprung for a hycam or a hybrid Lexus myself :p

21. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm very careful with my money (usually). Buying new is something I don't do often. The Altima is only the third new car I've purchased (for myself) since 1978. The last two new vehicles have been for my wife - I don't drive her vehicles and she doesn't drive mine (Thank God!).

It was time to buy new again because used cars at the moment are overpriced. The Altima turned out to be the best value for the money of all the vehicles I looked at. I paid $17,300 plus tax, title, and transfer or out the door for $18,700 during the Presidents Day weekend sale. A hycam would have been at least $8000 more.

Time will tell if I bought something that will last. Nissans have about average reliability based on Consumer Reports owner survey results. The Altima is above average. It's also interesting that the Altima is built in Canton, MS and the engine is built in Decherd, Tennessee. Jobs for Americans, which is a good thing.