1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just acquired a new project vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jelloslug, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That era won't end as long as would-be Toyota hybrid shade-tree mechanics can perform the same due-diligence as jelloslug. Can't just make it up as you go along...

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The suspension was not damaged in the accident. The alignment shop will be the last word on the state of the alignment but nothing appears to be out of whack.

3. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jelloslug,

This is the most interesting thread going, Thanks for all your comment and pictures. I can hardly wait for the next installment. It is especially interesting to me because my son and I used to rebuild RX-7s. We never rebuilt wrecks with salvage titles, just very tired ones, more on the order of your tarus.

The most interesting one was probably the 79 model that my son bought from his brother-in-law. It was a good car then. He drove it for about a year then sold it to a friend for his daughter. After a few months it was stolen and stripped. It ended up in the salvage yard that we visited almost daily. At first, I bought some pieces off of it. A few days later I bought the body shell with what parts were still on it because it was straight and the title was still good (not salvage). I rebuilt it and drove it for several months before selling it.

We have many stories about the Mazdas, but that would make this post too long. So, here is my question, does your car have a salvage title at this time and will you have to take it to a state agency to have it inspected before you can use it legally and get it retitled with a clear or rebuilt title?

4. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a standard South Carolina title with a salvage note on it. It is currently registered and insured and I have a tag for it. It came from Georgia with a Georgia salvage title. The listed owner from the Georgia title was the insurance company that totaled it out. Salvage rules vary quite a bit from state to state but in SC you only have to get it inspected if you don't already have a salvage title.

5. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just too awesome. I was a little skeptical when reading the original post a while back because of all the details but you have not only covered everything but you are probably making it better than factory new. Your patience and research are truly paying off.

This thread is also one of the best examples of descriptions, pictures, safety reminders, useful feedback, and viewer encouragement on Priuschat -- exactly the way it should be.

I wish my wife welded too! She doesn't so I'll just have to be satisfied that she is still the best person in the world for me and the better half of our marriage.

Did you get any of your patience and/or techniques from woodworking? I found good planning and preparation was essential for woodworking. Lots of clean-room ideas in the woodworking magazines. Best ideas were PVC pipe frames and plastic ground cloths. You can include your air filter which I think you mentioned earlier.

Great job! Jack :)

6. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The woodworking is a totally different beast but the basic principles still apply: Know exactly what you are trying to do, know exactly how to do it, and use the proper tools to do it. Since I'm an engineer blueprints are my friend. Anytime I do a woodworking project I always have or make a set of prints for it, it just saves time in the end. As for the clean room, I really want to use my wood shop since it already has everything I need to paint but even when I use stain or a spray can the smell filters through the house. I will have to seal the room off better if I'm going to spray something a noxious as automotive paint.

7. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, if your going to turn this into a full time business you will need a differnt paint booth.

Have to agree with others about this thread. This is what I thought priuschat was about. How to - How not to etc. There are some others that are good but not up to this one!

8. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Painting time!

[​IMG]

Everything is sanded, vacuumed, tack ragged, and ready to paint.

[​IMG]

Here are the components for the primer. It mixes four parts primer to one part reducer and one part activator.

[​IMG]

Here is the drivers side.

[​IMG]

And the passenger side.

[​IMG]

And finally the front section. Since the primer has a catalyst it cures quickly. It was ready to top coat in 15 minuets.

[​IMG]

Here are the components for the base coat. It mixes two parts base coat to one part reducer.

[​IMG]

Ooooooooh, sparkly!

[​IMG]

Here is the drivers side.

[​IMG]

And the passenger side.

[​IMG]

And the front end. You will notice that the base coat drys with a matte sheen but the metallic and the pearl still sparkle. That's why some of the sections look lighter than others.

I like to let the base coat cure overnight before I clear coat it. I'll give it 2 coats of clear tomorrow.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Those are just pics of the underbody. Are you doing the fenders, hood and bumper now or later?

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend you have some mad skills. I have seriously enjoyed watching this thread as work has progressed on your car. Excellent work and the result will be a very nice car for you. Bravo!

11. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just the underbody. I'm going to paint the outside panels in a "clean room". The factory paints them all at once but they also dip the car for the primer coat. I cannot dip the car and I needed to paint some areas that would be covered by the outer panels if they were installed. Once the clear coat is on I can reinstall all the mechanical parts and bleed the cooling system, check for leaks, and make sure everything is function properly.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice photos, I can almost smell the fresh paint (love that scent)!

I assume your car color is Spectra Blue Mica? Has anyone been able to figure out the difference between Metallic, Pearl, and Mica? I think the metallic flakes in Metallic are larger than Pearl; but how does Mica fit into the pecking order?

It sounds like you are planning to reinstall the mechanical parts prior to painting and installing the outside body panels? If true, then it would be very interesting to see photos of your car in that condition.

13. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, it's Spectra Blue Mica. Metallic and Mica really both mean the same thing. In factory paint there really is not that much variation in the size of the flakes but in the aftermarket world there are tons of different sizes and shapes of flakes. This paint has pearl in it also. The pearl is very fine, that's what gives it the color shifting characteristic. I am going to install all the mechanical parts before I put the outer panels on. And of course I will take pics.

14. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am in awe. I wish that I had the know-how and patience to consider a project of this magnitude, let alone attempt it. This is my favorite thread in these forums.

15. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know how I missed this thread before, but I have to agree with others that it is the best. I wish I had the knowledge, patience, and time to pull off something like this. Thanks for everything -- can't wait to see the finished product.

16. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Clear coat time!

[​IMG]

Here are the ingredients for the clear coat. It mixes 4 parts clear to one part hardener.

[​IMG]

Drivers side.

[​IMG]

Passenger side.

[​IMG]

And the front end.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the masking paper off. You can see where the factory paint is on the strut tower. It's looks darker mostly because it does not have much clear coat on it and because I think I got the base coat a little thin in that area over the light gray primer.

[​IMG]

Passenger side.

[​IMG]

And the front end. It only take about half an hour for it to be dry to the touch but I will let it cure over night before I start bolting engine parts back on. It's tempting to start right now but I need to let it cure for a while.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Referring to posts 7 and 23 where you uploaded photos of the accident damage, it appears the original paint job was not as thorough as your repaint. Some components appear to be painted with a very light coat of blue, and it is not apparent that clear coat was consistently used. Is that just due to the lighting in those photos?

By my count you have five coats of paint on the newly painted surfaces:
    • original black paint
    • grey primer coat
    • blue color coat
    • clear coat x 2
    I guess those parts should be very well-protected from rust and corrosion!

Congratulations on populating the main relay/fuse box with the appropriate relays...

Thinking ahead to the magic moment when you have completed the assembly of the mechanical parts and are ready to try starting the car, is the 12V battery fully charged?

18. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The factory paints the base coat and the clear coat with all the outer panels minus the bumpers attached to the car. Because of this there are many areas that the painting robots cannot get into. This is not really of concern because of they way the factory primes the car.

I want to "paint it and forget it" when it comes to the frame and support areas. The last thing I want is a rust problem where I have to take a bunch of stuff apart. I charged the 12v battery when I got the car since it was totally dead (it read about 4 volts) but I will probably need to freshen it up a bit before I can start it.

19. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Time to do some assembly.

[​IMG]

Here I have added the washer tank, the resonator, the intake plumbing, and the air box. I also have reconnected the grounds, ABS line, the washer pumps, and the crash sensor.

[​IMG]

Here I have mounted the fuse and relay panel, reattached the grounds, and have started rerouting the drivers side harness.

[​IMG]

Here is the hot coolant tank with the pump and the keyless entry beeper.

[​IMG]

Time to install the inverter. The cover has to be off to hook up the 2 main motor/generator harnesses along with the internal harness connections. There are also 4 connectors on the back, the two large orange main battery connectors, the A/C compressor harness in the front and a small side mounted circuit breaker on the drivers side. There are 3 coolant hoses also.

[​IMG]

All the internal and external inverter connections are connected and most of the hoses are on. The lid has been torqued down and now all we need the the radiator assembly.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the area that had the most damage when I got it. The started block off plates have been repaired and I have replace the damaged hose and connectors. Also, while I was working on the inverter my wife changed the oil. It was obviously the factory fill as it was very dark. Now it has a nice clean fill of Mobil 1 and a Purolator Pure One filter.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the radiator, condenser, and cooling fans in place. Words cannot describe how happy I was to see that the big front inverter support fit like it was suppose to. Also added is the upper radiator support, the center latch support, the hood latch (just hanging there), and the horns (not standard Prius issue but a set off a Lexus ES 300). I have also added the wiper cowl and attached the middle relay panel and harness.

[​IMG]

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Today was not without some issues though. I "forgot" to paint both sides of the lock support :eek:. The 2 nuts that are welded on the upper radiator support that are for the hood latch are no were near in the correct spot. I'm going to have to do some Dremel work on those. A few places that were suppose to have holes for wiring clips either have the wrong shape hole or no hole at all. I still need to fix one of the wires for the horns. When I was refilling the cooling system I discover that one of the inverter hoses had a hole in it. It was near the end and I was able to cut off the bad section and still use the hose though. When I powered up the car I had a dreaded airbag malfunction light. After reading the airbag section in the shop manual I found out how to extract the airbag codes without a scanner and I found out that I just forgot to hook up the passenger side pretensioner squib. I hooked up and and all was well. I really did not have any problems refilling the cooling system though. I rigged up a connection for the inverter pump motor and had the inverter section filled in about 5 minutes. The engine side took a little while longer, and I think I will have to keep an eye on it for a little while, but all together I was able to get over 2 gallons in the systems. I did take it out for a little test drive around the block and everything seems to work fine. :D

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jelloslug, you are truly the man! Congratulations on achieving READY without having the master warning light coming on! It is also nice to see that your traction battery shows five blue bars on the SOC gauge, hopefully the battery was not damaged during the storage period.

Also, kudos to your wife for supporting the effort by helping with the welding, changing the engine oil and filter, etc. What car will be replaced by the Prius?