1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love my new 2013 Prius Three but HATE the Nav and Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Hagar C, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Hagar C

Hagar C New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I came off a 2010, Prius IV lease and bought a 2013. I highly regret it because the 2010 console was so much intuitive and efficient and the 2013 adds so many more steps that make it more dangerous to operate while driving. Here are my biggest gripes of the 2013 Entunes/Console:

1. Screen is smaller.
    2. Haven't been able to change the color combo of the map. Anytime I have the moonroof open, the slightest glare make the screen unreadable.
    3. In the 2010 system, all I had to do was enter the address of destination and it would automatically LMK the city. Now I have to enter City, State, and fricken Zip Code, and if I don't know the zip, it auto generates zip codes and will NOT allow me to add the numeric address if that address does not exist in that zip code. Is there a way to recalibrate this?
    4. Radio Presets. On the 2010, when I pressed the MODE button on the steering wheel, it would also pull up the respective presets (e.g. when I wanted my FM stations, I hit MODE until I got to FM, then the FM presets are avail for me to scroll through). On the 2013, when I hit MODE, it will take me to the source I am seeking, but the presets for that source won't follow (e.g. I am listening to FM and my FM presets are onscreen, then I press MODE until I get to SATELLITE, then when I use the scroll up on the steering wheel, it reverts back to the FM presets. I have to manually change the preset screen until I get to where I want). Lots of fun while driving Is their a hack for this?

OK, sorry if I brought negative energy to this place, but I wish I played more with this system before buying.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, you'll find many complainants here who agree with your assessment. the good news is there are some high quality replacement units out there. all the best!(y)

3. Hagar C

Hagar C New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, glad to know it. I apologize, I am new here and did peruse the threads looking for kindred complainers, but perhaps my keyword search was wrong. Just so I don't sound like a complete Debbie Downer, I do like that the Bluetooth seems to be better than the 2010...but still early, haven't used it to play tunes yet. If you have the desire, will, energy, and kindness, I would appreciate any links to like threads. It's a shame that I paid for this system only to look for a replacement. Thanks again. -The Noob

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2. Contrast all the way left and brightness all the way right takes care of all but the worst glare issues.
    3. The nav is absolute garbage! However, I am able to enter addresses without the zip code. It auto picks one when I put in the city but once I put in the street, the correct zip code is displayed.
    4. The steering wheel controls scrolls through the radio presets I have saved as expected.

djasonw likes this.
  5. Hagar C

Hagar C New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks so much. I will try your suggestions.

Re: #4, so there are 6 "pages" of presets. Let's say I am on "page" 2 which I have dedicated to FM stations. When I hit MODE to get to SAT, I want my steering wheel scroller to automatically go to "page" 5, which I dedicated to SAT (the 2010 did this) but if I scroll while in SAT, it will go the next FM station because the presets are still on Page 2. If i want to scroll through SAT, I then have to aim my fat finger to hit the Page Next of presets and risk my life while doing this as I have to look at the screen. Fricken stupid.

6. WildOne

WildOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As to the glare, get the NavCap for the Prius, and a windscreen to go along with it.

The windscreen isn't really necessary for the Prius three, since it doesn't have the SofTex seats.

And as to the presets, they're global, not mode-specific.

7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Use Entune Bing to find your destination if its a Business and sync it to your navigation as a saved destination than hit go to destination.

8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)When looking for information on a Prius, I checked out a used 2010 Prius 5 w/ATP. Then I checked out a new 2012 Prius 5 without ATP. The 6" screen and overall lack of ATP features was a big negative. That's why I chose a Plug In Advance. I like to save a s much as possible, but the extras on the Advance was worth the difference in price to me.