1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need the charging cable wiring diagram, I bought one without the wall connector.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by G-Dogg, Sep 5, 2013.

1. G-Dogg

G-Dogg New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went to connect a plug , so I tried ohming it out, but the only one that goes though is the ground prong.

2. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is this an Level 1 (120V) or an L2 (240V) EVSE? Sounds like it's an L2 unit if it didn't have a plug on the end. Did you get any sort of instruction manual? Can you post pictures of it?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, all the best with your little project!(y)

4. G-Dogg

G-Dogg New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a level 1, 120v. But the part that plugs into the car has 5 terminals, with 3 main (big) and 2 smaller - I can ohm out all 5 no issue, the problem is when I go to connect the 3 prong (house) standard 110/120v connector to 5 wires? Yes, it's probably the main 3 prongs (car side) attach to the 3 prong house side. But I want to make sure? Toyota has the reset box in line and I am unable to ohm out 4 of the Car side prongs.

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like you have the raw J1772 connector and cord like this:
    J1772.jpg
    And you're trying to figure how to make a simple 3 prong plug to connect the other end to a standard household electrical outlet?

If that's the case- you cant. You need the control/signal circuit between the J1772 connector and your home electrical supply. That's whats in the "reset box" (along with a GFCI) on the OEM Toyota EVSE set.

J1772 Signal Circuit.jpg
    SAE J1772 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's the full circuit with the AC source..
    J1772 full Circuit.jpg

giora likes this.
  6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have the details on what contacts do what. I have looked at some information for the J1772 standard and there is communications between the car and the controller (the box in the charging cable). This is probably the two smaller pins. Voltage levels are used to communicate the charging phase, in part to turn power on and off. There is also a square wave on this low voltage where the ration of on and off communicates the amount of power (Kw) being sent across.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think ny_rob has it right ^ . you need an L1 or L2 box which contains the appropriate circuit board, with 3 wire input from wall plug. if this is correct, the good news is, you might as well get an L2, it's not that expensive.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's right you need the hardware that provides a pilot signal that has to handshake with the onboard car charger
    Analogy - no Introduction means no dancing
    :)

9. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I have a Leviton Level 2 charger. The charging cable is about 20' long with three 10 gauge wires and two 12 guage wires. Over kill for a 16a charger. Very bulky and hard to roll up and un-roll for use. I thought I placed my charger in a good position (front wall when pulling in). To make it easier, I started backing my PIP in. Still I wasn't happy. I found and purchased a 25' charging cable with J1772 made by Leviton on Amazon for $99 (same as above). This cable was longer and had the same flexibility as the Toyota factory EVSE (no 10 gauge wiring). I though it would be a easy swap. No directions and different color wiring. Still, I decided to move my Level 2 charger to a preferred location with the intentions of changing to the new charge cable. Once I relocated my charger, and ran the 20" cable, I had a perfect situation. I have the charge cable (secured) running across the top of my garage door and down the wall. Now, I'm within three feet of my PIP, and I reach up, take the J1772 out of a mounting holder and plug in. The original cable length is perfect, the bulky cable is no longer an issue. I sent the new charge cable back for credit, less shipping, and didn't have to hassle with switching it out on the charger for the original.

10. G-Dogg

G-Dogg New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1st. Thanks everyone, this is great communication, it's exactly my situation. 1 More question?
    So I bought the cable above for $99 from Amazon. I did that because I didn't want to pay the $1200 Toyota wants for the cable. But reading above it looks like I am SOL. Does anyone have any ideas short of returning the cable to Amazon for a refund? I just wanted an extra cable to take to work to charge the car. (My main one I have at home all rigged up in the garage so charging is quick and easy), no setup. And again, thanks

11. Mark in NY

Mark in NY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I purchased a 20 foot level 2 extension cord for my 2 plugins several months ago. I got the cord from Tucson EV. Look for the "J1772 Extension cord" on their site. It has worked out very well.
    It has male and female ends so it plugs into the existing 18 foot long Leviton charger cord giving me a total reach of about 38 feet from charger to car(s).
    The plug that goes into the car is not angled as ergonomically nice as the Leviton plug handle which I find perfect. The cable however is much more flexible than the Leviton. Cost in the $300 range.

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's virtually no way for you to use the cable you bought in any meaningful way.
    Simplest thing to do would be to sell it at a loss to someone here (or ebay) or return it to Amazon and eat the shipping both ways.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    !
    don't give up just yet - follow the link below and you'll see many people have put an EVSE together - all by their self;
    open-evse - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting
    If a knucklehead like me can follow these directions than anyone can build their own plug. From this link you'll find directions on how to build it in Adobe format
    ;)