1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want 42/40!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by benighted, Jan 14, 2006.

?
  1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. benighted

benighted New Member

On Wednesday I went to Les Schwab to have my tires rotated and asked the guy to make my tires "42 in the front and 40 in the back". But after I got the car home I found a dissapointing 36 PSi all around. Today(technically yesterday, its 2:45AM) I took it back and asked them to put the right amount of air in my tires and he looked at me like I was crazy and asked "Why so much air?" So I told him why(gas mileage, handling). He also told me that having that much air is a bit more dangerous because it can be penetrated by road hazards easier but the tire is rated for 44 so he went ahead and did it. So far everyone has been reluctant to add the right amount of air. How many of you have had this experience?

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I voted "Other" because I don't know or care what a service person does to my air pressure. The first thing I do when they hand me the fob is adjust it myself, just like I check the oil level before I drive off.

3. QED

QED New Member

I voted other. I adjust my own tire pressure. I currently use 37/35. Until I research it further, I am reluctant to increase the pressure 20% over the recommended 35/33, to 42/40 (but that's another tread).

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

well 36 was way better than the 28 all round when I bought the car. Drove to the nearest gas station pumped to 42F 40R and hit the hiway and 1830Km's later was home. Been 42 40 ever since. On last weeks check they were 41 39 and I pumped to 42 40.

5. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I run 40/38. The dealer I use for service has cautioned me both times that it could contribute to tire wear at the center of the tread. However, they set it to what I specify and just make a note on my service order.

WHile I bought my Prius at Toyota 101 in Redwood Cit, CA I get it serviced at Putnam Toyota in Burlingame as a matter of convience (its near a train station). I've been very happy with them.

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I keep an air guage in the car, and check tyre pressures when I fill up.
    On the occasions I have brought the car in for an oil change, I have mentioned that I keep the tyres at 42/40 so that they do not release pressure.

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Eric, since you normally would be driving the car when you stop to fill up, the tires wouldn't necessarily be cold. How do you adjust for that to get the equivalent of 42/40 cold tire pressure? Is there some formula you use?

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Hi GreenMachine,

You are right -- I am probably off by a psi or two.
    A fellow named Dan Kroushi in Pennsylvania showed that very minimal differences in fuel economy accrue in the 38 - 42 psi range on the Prius stock tyres, so I use 40/38 in the summer and 42/40 in the winter. I have checked tyre pressures at home a couple of times, and never found pressures under 38.

I have seen a calc that corrects for temperature, but cannot remember details -- only that in my local climate range of -10* -- 35 C, it was not a big deal.

If PV = nRT is a fair approximation, and Temp is in Kelvin, a change of 27C degrees would be about a 10% change in pressure.

*addendum -- fixed error

9. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 06 is Staying at 35/33

Maybe it's just an 06 thing, but after driving an 05 TRAC rental for 4 months and 6,900 miles at 40/38 I'm keeping the Integritys at the factory 35/33 settings. The 06 ride is smoother and quieter (although I'm sure it's mostly the new noise/harshness improvements), and I'm at the same 47-48 MPG I was getting with the 40/38 hard riding 05.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's bumped to 37/35. Yeah, it's much stiffer than 30/32 when I checked after x months. Funny how the front lost more air than the rear.

11. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    benighted, how do you have so much time on your hands to go back to mechanics and have them redo air pressure; I hope you are retired. If you are that obsessed then you should be capable of maintaining the psi yourself.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The first time I had an oil change I asked to have the tires at 42/40. They told me it would be the right pressure. I found out later that they never did the pressure, but rotated the tires. That meant I had 40/42!

Since then I don't bother to ask and just inflate them the way I want to later on.

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    can you pump tires with a bicycle pump?

14. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, you will end up with very strong arms and be able to check off one of your workouts for the week. I suggest only doing one tire a day.

15. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In 1985 I bought a small electric air pump. It cost me $90 from Sears. I still have it. it goes up to 80 lbs. of pressure. I use it to put air in all my tires. To me this is an invaluable tool to have in my garage. I don't rely on any tire changer to put what I want in my tires. Much of the time they just blow them up to whatever....

My 2006 Goodyear tires say on the side: Maximum pressure is 45 lbs. Knowing that adjust tires for what feels best for you. I do 42/40 for max. milege.

16. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone done a resonably controlled experiment that proved the benefit of moving from 35/33 to 42/40 or anything in between? Since I'm a very new 06' owner, please bear with me. I found this thread by doing a search so if there is a thread answering my questions please point me to it.
    Thx in advance,

17. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Feb 27 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]217464[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not retired and I have only gone back to mechanics (Les Schwab tires) one time to have air pressure redone and it was on the way to where I was going. I don't bother with telling them what pressure I need anymore, I just adjust it when I get home. Also, I don't think I'm any more obsessed than the average user on this site, thanks for pointing that out though B)

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have to pay to put air in my tires at the local gas station. I went to several and they all have coin operated air, so even air isn't free. It took me a $1 to finally fill all four tires to my satisfaction, but I don't know how accurate my gauge is, as I heard the pop-out turkey baster style isn't that accurate.

That said and haveing gone through the process I started thinking how the process could be made easier.

Is there anything where you can set what tire pressure you want and the compressor will stop when the tire reaches that pressure? Then I could set the front to 42 and the back to 40 and not have to worry about being over or under or the right side being different than the left. Seems like a simple no brainer kind of invention. So why isn't there one? And if there is...why can't I find one?

For $100 I wouldn't mind buying my own air pump as I can see that thing paying for itself before I get rid of the car.

19. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III

20. unruhly

unruhly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 4 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]249991[/snapback]</div>

I have one of these: Compressor It fits (barely) in the cargo box in the back and works great. But I also have a quality pressure gauge for when I use shop air somewhere. Using the gauge, I find that the auto shutoff on the compressor is actually pretty close to where you set it. The only problem is, is that the setting dial (gauge) is marked in 5lb increments so I always check it against the more accurate gauge anyway just to be sure.

I bought it at Wally World for less than $50.00.