1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I will NOT be bleeding the system after changing inverter pump...IS THIS A PROBLEM!?!?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by MilkyWay, Jul 28, 2016.

1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had cousin swap inverter...Pretty easy, worst part is enduring the weather...

Maybe a splash of coolant fell when swapping hose...Practically nothing. Drives fine, no funny noises, check engine off.

Someone please tell me why not bleeding the system is a bad idea? Or how I would know if air was in the lines?

Dealership wants $180 to flush/bleed. I'm sure my cousin would charge me $30 but he's out of town.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you'll be fine.(y)

MilkyWay likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

It's not clear what you swapped - your title says the inverter pump, your actual post says the inverter. Which got swapped?

The only reason you don't want air bubbles in the coolant circuit is the same reason you don't want air bubbles in your veins ... they can end up circulating to a location where they stay (for example, a local high spot) and impair the necessary flow to nearby locations. It wouldn't be likely to cause any kind of problem other than possibly inverter failure, and maybe if your cousin finds it easy and relaxing to replace inverters, that won't be a problem.

You can bleed it yourself pretty easily. There are two bleed valves on the front of the inverter. There are posts here about how to do it. One of the bleed valves is pressurized (any time the pump is on) so the bleeding from that valve is easy. The other valve is on the suction side of the pump and has to be treated a little more cleverly; if you just open that one while the pump's on, air will go in. Again, there are PriusChat posts on the procedure.

-Chap