1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideas needed for playing FLAC files

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zenMachine, Dec 25, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have just received for Christmas the Beatles Remastered Stereo USB apple, in 24-bit FLAC format (as well as the lowly and ancient MP3). It is one awesome sounding collection of some not-so-bad music. Very convenient too. Just pop the USB stick into my laptop and put on my headphones.

Now I wonder what is the best way to play these lossless files in the car. The only thing I can think of so far is to buy a media player that supports FLAC (like a Cowon iAudio) and plug in through the Aux port. But that would still require converting and loading the files to the player.

Would be so much nicer if you could just plug the USB stick into the head unit directly somehow. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks, and merry Christmas to all!

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Try a SanDisk Sansa:
    SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (4GB, red) MP3 player reviews - CNET Reviews

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll refrain from going on about how much the Beatles suck and suggest you simply transcode the files into higher quality MP3.

Transcoding everything to everything with MediaCoder | Internetspotter

1. Mediacoder is free software (as in speech and beer)
    2. By not buying yet another consumer electronics crap device, you're helping to save the environment just a little bit

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't agree that the Beatles "suck" but +1 on the transcode idea. I recommend using a high quality variable bit rate encoder that gives about 200kbps or higher average bit rate.

Contrary to what marketing people will tell you the fact is that even under the most ideal listening conditions and even with the most discerning listeners, they generally can not distinguish between 16 bit and 24 bit formats under blind testing conditions.

BTW. A car is far from an ideal listening environment. Even in a prius there is enough noise from road and wind and other traffic that you will never be able to tell the difference between high quaility mp3 and 24bit lossless flac.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Plus there are more than "enough" distortion introduced by the entire audio system and the cabin environment, unless you custom build the sound system. ;)

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And sound-proof your cabin :)

7. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you are going to go this route, I would suggest the Sansia Fuze (8GB) instead. It also has a micro SD slot so you can add another 8GB. I have one (& love it). Only "issue" with this (or most any similar device) is that you can't use a cigarette lighter type charger and play the device at the same time (there is a conflict between the ground of the charger and the audio ground of the aux in).

8. Bob64

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a TSB out for this that fixes the issue. Toyota will fix it for free if your within the warranty period of 3 years and 36000 miles.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-service-bulletins-tsbs/46700-noise-aux-port-06-08-a.html

They'll install a ground loop isolator for your aux input that'll fix the problem.

9. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  10. Bob64

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A