1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IIS and a preliminary report

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Over the years, the IIHS has demonstrated a pattern of releasing results that often disparage Toyota products. For example, their increased roof crush press release went to pains to point out Toyota had just lost their top rating . . . with the new test. In effect, IIHS 'moved the goal posts' and then made sure Toyota lost their recently awarded top rating. Similar results came from their most recent partial-offset test. Now it looks like they are at it again.
    Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130819/OEM11/308199942/breakthrough-or-bauble?-safety-lab-is-on-the-case#ixzz2cOnH13qL

Now I have no problem with testing accident avoidance systems and certainly one that fails to stop the car is important. Then I looked at their mock-up, rear-end car:
    [​IMG]

Radar reflectivity is a function of having angular metals. I understand the IIHS may want accident avoidance equipped cars to avoid a repair bill from testing by using a foam mock-up. However, a foam block covered with the pretty plastic wrap shown in the photo is not going to have a similar, radar reflective cross-section. The toyota system uses a millimeter radar sensor and camera. This type of 'press release' is typical of IIHS with their anti-Toyota tone.

If the press release had technical information about their mock-up, it would make sense. So sort of verification and validation test that compared the optical, radar, and even audio characteristics compared to the rear ends of their test vehicles. But I can't tell if they are using the engineering equivalent of cardboard boxes or a weather balloon . . . without the reflectors.

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If you ask IIS to set up a test with more angularity - you KNOW they'll make sure the Toyota can't use its radar. Next, they'll set up the test with one of these.

[​IMG]

minkus and bwilson4web like this.
  3. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    True.

But a flat box must have some kind of radar signature. I'd be interested to see Toyota's response.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well now I understand why the IIHS is being such sh*ts about it:

The NHTSA conducts vehicle safety tests and awarded the "Prius v" five stars:
    Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/2011-Newer+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=8142

Apparently this is enough to cause the IIHS to react badly.

Bob Wilson

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First its the IIHS, not IIS. IIS is a microsoft product. I don't think IIHS has anti-toyota bias, but they have shown a pro-tank built type vehicle (SUV) bias. They enjoy making vehicles heavier and more expensive. The prius v, if it were a very safe car, would get rid of all those pro-SUV arguments, and reason they have fought cafe standards. As we get further from the slower speed limits, bigger heavier cars are needed to make us safe, the IIHS loses power.

lensovet likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have to know a little bit more about the target (and [sic] Pre-Collision) system before I accused the IIHS of malfeasance or of "Prius Hate."

OK...so the target probably wasn't aluminized mylar-wrapped foam. Even if it was radar-transparent, that slab-sided aluminum carrier sure as heck isn't. :)
    I'm thinking that the Prius should have sniffed that out and started a backing bell before it plowed through the target.

lensovet likes this.
  7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

I agree this is not prius hate, but.... IIHS has to keep showing safe cars are unsafe. The primary safety device in a car, always was and always will be the drivers brain. As cars become safer drivers become more complacent. Its best to get drivers not to drive distracted (drunk, texting, eating), than expect these drivers to be protected by the IIS. But, if we have the technology, and it appears like it is developing, why not make these distracted drivers safer. Not having it work perfectly on a target does not make the prius v unsafe, it simply means the driver must continue to be that safety system. If IIHS was saying, the stystem is a rip off, that it doesn't work that well, that would be one thing, but a driver is hardly less safe with it than in a car without it, unless she/he is realying on it instead of their brains.

jonb505 and Zythryn like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't think the car in the photo is a Prius v based upon the wheel covers and front grill. Of course the narrative in the press release does not have to accurately describe the photo . . . which may also be photo shopped.

Assuming that 'cart' is aluminum, it should have shown up to a radar but the photo looks like someone might have edited it. Otherwise that building behind it has suffered some strange relativistic effects. <grins>

Bob Wilson

9. tawp

tawp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2010 Prius 5 with the Advanced Tech Package that has the PCS similar to if not the exact same as this vehicle. If I recall correctly, the manual states that the PCS will only stop the vehicle if it determines a crash is unavoidable with a MOVING object. I believe that by design, it won't prevent an impact with a STATIONARY object.

... I can't seem to find it in the online version of the manual, so I might be wrong about this. It does say "The sensor cannot detect plastic obstacles such as pylons"

... under the section for dynamic radar cruise control, pg. 229 in the manual says the sensor may not correctly detect "Vehicles that are not moving." I always interpreted that in ANYTHING using the sensor (PCS included) may not detect/react to stationary objects/vehicles.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not feeling paranoid today, so I'll give the IIHS and CR the benefit of the doubt and just suggest that Toyota gets singled out as a compliment, as one of the leaders of pack in safety.

I acknowledge that Toyota may not see it that way, and reasonable behaviour by the IIHS would have been to forward the results and test protocol to Toyota for comment before they publish. That way any peculiarity of the testing system that failed the car in the test, but would not be seen in actual use could have been sorted out.

11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It has to be a Photoshopped image. Why else would the rear wheels be blurred (moving forward) while the front wheels are already stopped (not blurred)? The front headlights are stopped and the tail lights are blurred and still moving forward.

Mike

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like too long of a shutter speed on a vehicle that was moving then stopped. Don't know the vehicle though.

lensovet likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The system activates based on speed differentials with up coming objects. So it should work for a stopped car. Other wise the system would be of no help in stop and go traffic.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47840U/pdf/sec_02-04.pdf
    The pre-collision system is on page 256.

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This happens when you're panning to try to capture motion (with a slower shutter speed, rather than trying to "freeze" the car in the image). I think its referred to as the parallax effect.

Here's an example:

Trucks OTR. - Canon Digital Photography Forums

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Right absolutely, but don't see the pan, because the blow up obstacle is stable. It makes it look like the car stopped and did not hit the battle bot. I would like the article would not want the given photographic effect.

16. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the reason why IIHS was better than government testing was because they had the money to simulate 'realistic' crashes. What next, a cardboard pedestrian?

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you volunteer to be a 'real' pedestrian? :eek:

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Based upon the headlight, grill, bumper mounted foglight, and body shape, I'm fairly sure this is some variation of a Chevy Orlando. The seven spoke wheels do not match the five spokes seen in Orlando sales photos but that could be an option.

Bob Wilson

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is.

20. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If so then wouldn't the camera see the foam mockup? I suspect it relies on radar only - no camera, but that's just a speculation.