1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE: KEY/FOB Programming Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AbuS3ood, May 9, 2010.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay, can you go back and review step 9 and give me a synopsis of what you did? Did you press lock and unlock at the same time on 9a etc. I'm just about ready to submit for a sticky but I want to clear up any cloudy areas in step 9.

Thanks in advance.

2. Terbetron

Terbetron New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No luck for me on the chicken dance. I was able to get it to work in the slot but not with the lock/unlock keyless stuff. I'll go try a couple of more times. 2007 Prius bought the key from iKeyless sales.

3. Terbetron

Terbetron New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Included with my key from ikeyless was a note that says that the key is non-clone-able and programming yourself won't work. It says it must be programmed using diagnostic equipment. It is a new key with the silver logo. I was able to program it to start and drive the car. Does this sound like the key should still be usable?

4. thejaycan

thejaycan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A huge thank you to usnavystgc! I can confirm that the steps worked to program the ignition and the SKS functionality on my '09 Prius. I purchased my key from Conicelli Toyota in Conshohocken, PA, they were the lowest price I found online for a NEW key. It was $153.11 with free shipping (part number 89994-47061). The FOB came with an uncut key in a bubblewrap package. There was a paper sticker on the back sealing the FOB/key within. The sticker on the back was the shipping sticker from Toyota Motor Sales USA in Glen Burnie, MD to Conicelli Toyota. I'm including all this detail so you can confirm you also received a NEW FOB, since that seems to be the deciding factor in success on this thread.

I followed post #88 of this thread (page 5), the first part of the programming was flawless (start/stop engine), while the second part (SKS) had a couple hiccups. The first time didn't work, got stuck at 9c. The second time, I made it all the way to step 9a and successfully got it to work by holding BOTH lock and unlock on the old FOB. 9b was fine. 9c worked but lock/unlock cycle did not happen for me until waiting for around 10 seconds after I pressed the lock button on the new FOB. It was really strange, I thought it wasn't going to work but then while reading the page on my laptop I got the lock/unlock cycle. I hope this helps.

Thanks to usnavystgc and the rest of you on this thread for writing about your experiences. I'm now off to get my key cut so I have a true spare.

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, so 9a you have to hold both buttons in and 9c was fine except it took about ten seconds to get a lock/unlock cycle?

6. Freckles

Freckles New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chicken dance success for 2005 Prius!! Worked after only a couple of tries with no practice runs. After entering "Add Mode" I did press both the lock and unlock buttons on the old fob and then both the lock and unlock buttons on the new fob. There was a little delay in the final locking/unlocking of the car but I had high hopes because a red light was flashing on the new fob. The instructions are flawless. Ordered the key from Griffith Toyota in Dalles, OR. Saved over $200 over the dealer quote and didn't have to drive 45 min to 1 hr to the dealership. Thank you for the time you took to perfect and share the chicken dance with the rest of us. Edited to add: Proximity, Lock/unlock, and starting of Prius all working perfectly with the new silver logo fob.

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. PopsicleMud

PopsicleMud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my experience was just like thejaycan's report in post #124, right down to thinking that it had failed again and starting to re-read the instructions before the confirmation lock/unlock happened.

8. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok Pops, so it took about 10 seconds to get the lock/unlock cycle indicating successful programming?

9. PopsicleMud

PopsicleMud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say that's about right.

usnavystgc likes this.
  10. thejaycan

thejaycan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys-

I'm back, sorry to be slow to respond. I moved and traveled to the east coast for a wedding, so not much time for forums.

So, to answer your question usnavystgc: "Ok, so 9a you have to hold both buttons in and 9c was fine except it took about ten seconds to get a lock/unlock cycle?"

That's correct, I had to hold BOTH buttons in both 9a and 9b. And then for 9c, I pressed the lock button and had to wait about 10 seconds to get the lock/unlock cycle. It may have been slightly less, but I was reading post #88 again when the lock/unlock cycle happened.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the "40 seconds of completing step 8". Meaning, perhaps for me, it took about 30 seconds to complete steps 9a-9c and then had to time-out to 40 seconds before giving the lock/unlock cycle? But, now that I look at the instructions again, I don't think that's right. I don't think it took 30 seconds for 9a-9c. Just speculating on the 10 second delay so that your post #88 can be foolproof. :)

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. davecherok

davecherok New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This discussion has really helped me this week!
    I took my car (2006 Prius) to a dealership for a problem unrelated to the SKS key. During the work on the car, the tech lost the remote and claimed that it couldn’t be in the car because his scan tool couldn’t locate it. After looking for the remote all over the shop, he got a new remote and attempted to program it with the Toyota computer. The best he could ever get it to do was start the car while it was in the slot (No remote lock/unlock or SKS). I went to pick up my car and found out that they had not only lost my perfectly functioning SKS fob but I now had a new uncut fob that only started my car! They said they thought they had a “software” problem and I could bring the car back in a week or so when they got it resolved.
    I left the dealership a very unhappy guy and headed for home. On the way home I stopped for gas and noticed that the dash panel in front of the console was not snapped in place. When I touched the edge of the panel it fell forward, revealing my original key! Unfortunately when I tried my old remote, it didn’t work at all.
    I called the dealership and they told me to bring the car back, that the old key being in the car probably messed up the programming of the new fob. Long story short…..I went back to the dealer and spent 4 hours while the worked to get any fob to work! No such luck. I was then told that the fobs were both fine but there was a ground problem with my car that needed fixed.
    Really!?!
    After I got home, it took me 5 minutes on the internet to find this discussion and 10 minutes after that to have both SKS keys working perfectly!!!

usnavystgc and SteveWlf like this.
  12. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm not surprised! Just shaking my head in agreement and frustration with dealers like this. Not only inept but lacking the ability to except their ineptitude when dealing with the SKS problems (of their own creation).
    I'm glad to hear that you resolved this problem yourself but sorry that the dealer put you through such an experience. Been-There myself over this and other issues.

Steve

13. frtsniffr2004

frtsniffr2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, Post #88's instructions worked first go around with my newly aquired 2004. Picked up the car last week with only one key, purchased a NEW silver logo SKS fob and it worked first try following those instructions.

Thanks!!!!!!

PS... Loving the prius, 51MPG is blowing my mind after driving a truck with 17MPG for an 88 mile a day commute!!!!!!

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. sil180sr

sil180sr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I wanted to just share with everyone that I was able to successfully receive acknowledgement from my 2004 Prius that the deletion was successfully executed by following the linked document. However, I am unable to test the extent of what the deletion entails as my second SK was stolen which is why I performed the procedure in the first place. I am uncertain whether the deletion only removes the SK from the ECU's memory preventing the deleted SK from unlocking and locking the doors or it also prevents the deleted SK from being able to start the car.. not sure..

Here's a modification of the steps for deletion:

Smart Key Delete Procedure
    --------------------
    1. Open the driver door making sure there is no SK in the slot.
    Complete step 2 within 5 seconds
    2. Insert your programmed SK into the slot and remove it twice.
    Complete steps 3. and 4. within 40 seconds of completing step 2.
    3. Close and open driver door twice.
    4. Insert and remove your programmed SK once.
    Complete steps 5., 6., 7. and 8. within 40 seconds of completing step 4.
    5. Close and open driver door twice again.
    6. Insert your programmed SK in the slot and close door.
    7. Without pressing the brake perform five ON-Lock cycles. (One ON-Lock cycle consists of pressing the power button once, waiting a second, pressing the power button a second time, waiting a second, and pressing it a third time to turn car back off.) So in order to enter the Delete Mode you will press the power button a total of 15 times.
    8. Remove the programmed SK from the slot. You'll be in "Delete Mode" at this point. The Prius will confirm you have successfully entered this mode by performing five lock and unlock cycles (you'll hear a total of 10 actuations). If the locks do not cycle, return to step 1. otherwise proceed to step 9.
    9. Press any button on your master SK and all other SKs will be deleted from memory. The Prius will confirm you have successfully executed the deletion performing five lock and unlock cycles (you'll hear a total of 10 actuations.)

usnavystgc likes this.
  15. sil180sr

sil180sr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Having received confirmation about the deletion mode I now believe the tried and true chicken dance that everyone is performing successfully is actually the "New Mode" and not "Add Mode". I'm not sure what the difference is but I thought I would share my thoughts on that as well. Could it be that the "New Mode" is to program the VIN into new SKs and "Add Mode" would re-add a pre-programmed SK?

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you don't know what the difference is, what makes you think post 88 is the new mode vice add mode?

17. sil180sr

sil180sr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Based on only performing a single power-on cycle which would put you in the "new mode". This would be confirmed by only receiving a single lock and unlock cycle after removing the SK. If the ECU were in the "add mode" it would respond with two lock and unlock cycles.

I'm just not certain of what the definition of new mode and add mode are and what makes them different. The new mode is supposedly for registering a new Smart Key ECU where as add mode is for adding a new SK. However, looking at the flow chart they both allow for adding new SKs.I suppose if someone had a service manual it would be a clear answer.

18. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just sharing my sks programming experience here.

I bought a used silver logo smart key on ebay. I successfully programmed it to start the car when the key is inserted. I then followed the steps in post 88. I can get the car into program mode, but never in step 9 can I get it to accept the new FOB. I have fiddled with it for a couple hours, trying all variations of step 9 I can find.

Is it confirmed that this won't ever work for used keys? I called the local toyota dealer, they said it's $95 to program my key, but that they can't guarantee it will work, but I have to pay them regardless.

I'm thinking I should buy a NEW key and try programming it myself??? Or should I gamble with the dealer?

19. joe5778

joe5778 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Let me know how it goes. I needed a spare and did the ebay used and chicken dance. I have a fob that works in the ignition but nothing else. I thought I was on to something because the door lock/unlock responded just like the post says it should, but my new fob (used) would not program the doors. I might of bought a new one had I known this, but mine sits in a drawer incase my wife locks herself out.

20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It looks like we have 2 more confirmations that a used key will not work. I don't know how to make it any more clear that a used key will not work. The key has to be a new, virgin fob.