1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

installing rearview camera gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BUFFALO PRIUS, Nov 23, 2009.

1. BUFFALO PRIUS

BUFFALO PRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only in my 2010 prius for a week and find great difficuly backing, worried about hitting someone or something. am thinking about installing an aftermarket back-up camera. I see that some gen II folks have dome something similar. I think the best place for a camera is on the outside, perhaps at the top of the rear hatch near the antenna. getting juice for the camera would seem to be no big problem, there are already wires and chase channels in the hatch. the problem is see is getting the video feed up to the area of the rear view mirror (best location for an always on screen). with the air bags and the like I forsee big problems. I would like to hear if others have done this or thought it thru.

2. Kuala

Kuala New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased a 2010 and can't see to back up. I ordered an Audiovox LCDM42 replacement rear view mirror monitor with overlay parking assist and 2 video inputs from Amazon.com $204 and a 170 degree wide Sharp CCD backup camera PC800 from Kazen Auto on ebay $80. The camera should fit in the same space as the factory installed camera to the left of the hatch release where there is a black plastic plug or they have another mini version that can mount to the license plate frame.

Other options I considered was a Garmin Nuvi5000 with video inputs for a backup camera monitor plus GPS for about the same price, purchase other cheaper video monitors for the dash or expensive drop down monitors or get a clip on rearview mirror/ monitor for about $80. Since I already have a GPS hidden in the space under the console I went for the replacement mirror instead for a cleaner look and nothing on the dash to steal. You can go cheaper but suggest you go for a waterproof CCD camera not a CMOS camera for a few bucks more and not go wireless if you want a good steady image. I found installation instructions for rear view camera system from Coastal Electronics available on the internet. Most plastic panels just pull off. Run the power wires to the tail light and the video cable along the drivers side floor and up to the console or windshield- not over head.

3. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just took apart my Prius V for a new navi and rear view cam installation. Kuala is correct - run your reverse sensing wire and your power wire down the drivers side a-pillar, across the floor in the kick panels, through the back seat to the tail lights. You'll find everything you need there to wire the camera up. From there you just need to come over and follow the wiring harness for the rest of the wiring in the tailgate. The trim on the tailgate really does come off fairly easy. Having done it once already I could probably do the install in an hour or two tops.

4. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am planing on installing a back up camera system,but sttill am not sure what is the best and easyest for a gen 3 model III.
    What about the air bag in the drivers side door pillar? Isn't that a possible problem pulling the column plastic off or snaking wires down it?

How do one get wires to the new mirror?

5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Buffalo Prius,

I live in the same area (Cheektowaga), if you want to stop by sometime to see the factory version from toyota. There are some posts as well as some who have done the aftermarket and they wired it to a new rearview mirror.

Pretty sweet install on some I have seen that did it aftermarket.

Anyway, Private Message me if interested.

Bob

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are people now making rear view mirrors with camera *and* GPS (you run your own GPS software - a nice feature). They cost in the $250 range. Or get a new HU with GPS and great sound for $500...

There are many posts on mounting the thing - careful with the A pillar - and it's recommended to disconnect the 12V battery while doing this (I didn't - but that's recommendation).

7. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think everyone should write Toyota to offer the backup camera without the stupid Nav system which will be obsolete in less that a year. When you go to trade it in you will not get additional money for it because of the ever changing Technology. Why should we have to buy an after market product that takes time and $ to install. I have a 2006 and will not trade at this time because of the camera bundled with the Nav system. Without a backup camera the way the Prius is designed you can not see without the a backup camera. Come on Toyota do the right thing.