1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing the mini vci program on laptop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by greasemonkey007, May 23, 2014.

1. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone help me figure out how to make this vci work with my laptop? I bought a new laptop with windows 8.1. I got the techstream program on there but when I plug into the car it asks for a registration key. I have not been able to get any kind of support from the seller that I can use in any way. Of course, I'm not the most computer literate person in the world, or even the elementary school I graduated from. Maybe I need some professional help. My wife has told me I've needed professional help for the 15 years we've been married. But I guess that's another thread.

Anyway, here's a copy of the instructions that were in a file on the cd.

Attached Files:

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was gathering my resources together to post a reply, but exstudent beat me to it ;)

If you're not technically savvy, don't even bother trying to install it on a 64-bit OS. You have Windows 8.1, which is almost assuredly 64-bit, but you can double check by right-clicking on "my computer" and selecting "properties". In the window that comes up, look for the "system type", which is in the "system" section. It will indicate whether you have a 64 or 32-bit OS.

It is possible to get the drivers installed in a 64-bit environment (by using the instructions that exstudent linked to), but it is not easy. I'm a computer person, and I couldn't get it to work. Like exstudent said, your best bet is an old laptop with Windows XP installed.

You can download the latest version of the techstream software here. There are a number of threads here on PC regarding driver & techstream installation. I like this one.

You will be hard pressed to get any kind of "official" technical support, because the software that is bundled with these cheap adapters is pirated. To buy a techstream subscription from Toyota (even a very short-term one) is very expensive (much more than a used Win XP laptop will cost you).

Good luck! (y)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or install Windows 7, 32 bit OS. That also will work fine with Mini VCI.

I wouldn't recommend installing Mini VCI on a laptop that you actually use for important tasks like home banking, etc. McAfee reports a trojan with that software which I previously posted about. Many other virus scan programs do not report issues.

5. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to contact your Laptop manufacturer as Windows 8.1 comes in 32 bit version also. You may need a 'downgrade' Windows to get the miniVCI working.
    I am faced with USB Driver issues on my Desktop driving my Microchip ICD2 after I upgraded from XP to 8.1-64. W8.1 came with 2 disks, 32bit version as well as a 64bit version.
    My plan is to load W8.1-32 an another drive ( could be a USB Stick but it may have to be as big as 64G ) and boot from it.

6. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone.
    The vci I bought said it was compatible with 32 or 64 bit. The program loaded, but I obviously missed something installing it, as I didn't get a registration key. I think I'll remove it and try again after reading your links. Maybe I'll have better luck. If not I can try it on 32 bit. And I only got a new laptop because Mr. Gates decided to do away with the patches for the older systems, and my laptop had major issues. The new one will only be used for this purpose. Hopefully I'll get it going.

7. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I tried my Microchip ICD2 on the Windows 8.1 32bit HDrive and it did not work..... will not connect throughUSB.

Works fine with XP.

8. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II