1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introduction: Hello from So Cal

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SKMoss, Mar 10, 2014.

1. SKMoss

SKMoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi ya.

New and first time Prius owner since last night. We headed out last night to see American Hustle at the cheep theaters. Came home with a new 2014 Base Plug In Prius.

No not quite as spontaneous as that. I've been looking at the Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Plug in to replace my current fusion which is being given to my son. I'd looked at the Prius when I bought the current Fusion but the Prius didn't really pencil out.

Since then I've changed jobs, trading a 15 minute ride from one end of town to the other for a 2 hour (each way) commute. Between the better gas mileage and no cost for the toll roads it now makes sense.

My commute now runs 75 miles one way. 10% city, 60% mountain road (up, over and back down the Ortega Hwy for those who know So Cal) and 30% Freeway.

Looking forward to learning to drive the Prius and playin' the MPG game.

Thanks for lookin', Steve

PS: We never did make the movie.

Burna J likes this.
  2. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the group. I know the Ortega Highway quite well, having lived in Orange County several years. You'll find your mileage will suffer in the mountains, but not as much as a more conventional car. Where we live now we find we get about 35mpg uphill (still pretty good) and 99+ on the downhill stretch.

3. SKMoss

SKMoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thanks Haole,

I am concerned about the hill driving. I have quite a bit.

I was quite pleased yesterday. On the way to work (East to West) on the Ortega I ended up in EV mode from Cariso Village all the way to Caspers Park. I kind of expected (first commute with no idea really) that the only real EV I'd get was after leaving the house on a full charge.

And on the way back, I was in EV all the way from the crest of the hill in Lake Elsinore south on Grand to the 15/Baxter Road.

I don't know if you where here since the 73 toll road was built. It's got 3 long steep grades getting to UCI from San Juan Capistrano. By the time I got to work I had about 3 miles of EV saved. Didn't last 3 miles as the first grade starts just as I get on the freeway, but with the up/down I think I did ok.

Will fill up and check mileage tonight. This is still first tank and the Trip A Mileage didn't get reset when the dealer filled the tank before sending me on the way. So Trip A includes all the test drives. I don't really know what its getting with me at the wheel yet.

Thanks,
    Steve

4. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We live in the Sierra foothills, so we were concerned about hills before we bought the Prius. Because of this, our test drive included a long uphill grade east of Sacramento. The car handled it with no problems. Most of the mileage lost on the uphill will be regained on the downhill through regen braking and coasting; even more for your PiP with the larger battery capacity.

I lived near the 73 toll road in Laguna Nigel and drove it most days in my job servicing computer networks out of an office in Huntington Beach. I didn't really notice the hills too much at the time since I drove a Ford F-250 diesel that didn't slow down for anything. It got 16-19mpg; a Prius would have been perfect for my needs, but that was back in the late '90s.

John

5. SKMoss

SKMoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    John,

I just noticed (duh) the after commute reading from engine on to engine off. This mornings commute, starting with a full charge reports the mileage to be 76.2 mpg. 72.3 miles from a few miles east of Temecula, up the 15, through Wildomar, to and over the Ortega, and then up the 73 to Bison exit at UCI. Starting at 1,200 foot elevation and ending 5oo foot, 3 different 6% up/down grades and a total vertical of ~3,000'. OAT in the mid 50s.

To say I'm over the moon right now with this is an understatement.

Doing some quick calcs, I think for a round trip I'm in the 65 mpg range over all. Assuming this will get better as I learn to drive the car more efficiently and it breaks in some.

It's tough balancing MPG aware driving with reasonable, safe (I really don't want to get run over) and legal (can't back up traffic in CA as you know) speeds. So far no one has flipped me off for going to slow!!!

Thanks,
    Steve

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings!
    Welcome Aboard.
    :eek:
    Yeah. You're going to like the new Pip alright.
    Good Choice!

After the first 10 gallons of fuel you save?
    You'll be able to afford popcorn and drinks! ;)

Don't get wrapped around the axle about "driving it right."
    With your commute, you really can't drive it wrong.....which is sorta the whole point.

Good Luck!

7. SKMoss

SKMoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks ETC,

No worries on that point. I'm just making a game out of it. Makes the almost 2 hour commute a lot less boring.

Lets see 3 one way commutes at ~1 gallon, as compared to about 3 gallons each with my (non hybrid) Fusion. Just about to the 10 gallon saved mark!!!!

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

currently in palm springs enjoying the weather!

9. SKMoss

SKMoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just re-filled the tank for the first time. Based on amount of gas and mileage the MPG looks to be 58. Not bad. Not the 68 or so I'd done the quick calcs on.

A couple of factors that I have no control over. How full did the dealer really leave it. I understand the bladder fuel tank can wreak havoc with that concept. How many miles were on it at the time of the deal fill up. I think it was in 109, but I'm not totally certain.

Looking forward the next few to see how things progress.

ONe that that really is funny to watch is miles remaining. I had 390 about half way through the commute this evening. By the time I got to the gas station some 30 or so miles away my mpg had changed to the point i had 417 remaining.

Just fun.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The G3 doesn't have a bladder.
    The Pip has a smaller fuel tank than the hatchback, and the fuel gauge may not reflect the bottom 15-20 percent of the tank.
    I usually put 10 gallons in my car after about a 500 mile tank, if I put gas in when DTE=0 I'd never be able to get 10 gallons into the 11.8 gallon tank.
    I figure given your route and if you're able to charge on both ends of the commute you ought to be good for 55-60 MPG in the real world.
    I wouldn't expect much better than that given your commutes.
    Good Luck!

11. SKMoss

SKMoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thanks ETC. Glad to hear about the bladder.

Only able to charge on one end. The other not easily. There's a Starbucks with a charging station near by, but from what I hear of the Volt owners around the company, its 100% full. It's just far enough from the office that a walk to and from is not convenient.

My commute to work has one really long climb up the side of a mountain and then a long gradual decline. That direction I'm getting 72 and 79 mpg based on the engine on/off trip report. I chew a lot of the battery going up, but very quickly end up back in EV mode. I am starting with a fresh overnight charge. The incline on the way home really hurts. Spend a lot of time on the engine. I end up in EV again at the bottom of the hill, but the time on engine is just not recoverable. I keep forgetting to check the on/off trip report for the reverse direction. I will not forget this time.

What I'm really looking forward to is the weekend. I typically make 1 trip to down. Total out and back will be very close to the EV range on a fresh charge. I also spend 1/2 a day volunteering at a museum on Saturdays. 30ish miles away. BUT I will be able to plug in there and be fully charged for the trip back.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your new pip, all the best!(y)