1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 5 Integration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yunebug, Jun 18, 2013.

1. yunebug

yunebug Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So not much info was out there... so I'm posting.

I would like to be able to plug my iPhone 5 and listen to music. More importantly, I would like to be able to control the music from the steering wheel controls. My Prius is an '08 with Nav and 6-CD changer. Some of the existing threads basically said the 30-pin to lightning adaptor will not work.

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution since. <:0) Thanks everyone!

2. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We recently purchased a JVC KD-X250BT unit for my wife's non-prius. Has smart phone control integration. And even Pandora control too. Her phone automatically connects to the unit via Bluetooth. Controlling Pandora from the deck works great. It even has thumbs up/down buttons and hands free phone call integration. Maybe a deck with Bluetooth capability would work for you.

Only thing I'm unsure about is getting the steering wheel controls to work with a 3rd party deck. Not much info around on that subject. I'd also like to know about this.

3. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did some searching and found there's a universal adapter that can automatically learn the buttons and interface with a lot of car models and radio models. Look into something call "Metra ASWC-1". Some on Amazon for $52. Go to the Metra website to check for car compatibility and read your deck's user's manual to check for ASWC compatibility.

4. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't afford to buy a new stereo. My solution was to get a $15 RocketFish AUX cable to plug my iPhone 5 into. Can't control much but the volume from the steering wheel, but you could just tell Siri to "Play (insert artist/album/song.)"

5. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What I got right now is a SanDisk Sansa View MP3 plugged into an FM transmitter/charger. I tune my deck to any FM channel. Not the optimum sound quality, but gets the job done until someday I get a real deck with USB.

6. dster777

dster777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just have one of the adapters that plugs into the 6disk changer in the back of the original stereo (~$60). I ran the headphone cable inside the dash to the door trim then under the passenger seat to the center console (arm rest) and then into the (almost hidden) drawer underneath the cup holders. I also drilled a hole from the center console to bring a lightning cable in to charge at the same time. I just plug both in and shove my phone in the little drawer.

I don't get steering wheel controls, but siri is enough and if I get a call, my phone's mic is used while their voice comes through the speakers of the car... which is really nice.